Cornelius and Valor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
orangeshirt

Re: Cornelius and Valor

Unread post by orangeshirt »

One of the radars on the Valor is a Raytheon Pathfinder ST of 1990's vintage. The manufacturer has not supported this radar for many years, and if I recall correctly, it had some problems. I don't remember what the second radar was, but it was probably and old Sperry, again, no longer supported. New radio regulations in the pipeline, based on IMO regulations, require new VHF marine radios have the capability to receive position information from the GPS and have the MMSI programmed for digital distress call capability, similar to mandatory GMDSS requirements for deep sea vessels. The radios on the Valor did not have this capability. The communications equipment and even the radars are a relatively minor expense. The wheelstand, autopilot and gyro are also obsolete and no longer supported by the manufacturer. So, basically, the entire communications and navigation electronics package would require replacement. When Interlake considered putting the Sherwin back in service, this upgrade was in their plans. The satellite TV antenna system is no longer compatible and would be replaced the VSAT is probably functional, but all fleets on the Great Lakes have now replaced the model on the Valor with new, updated systems. Marine electronic is advancing and equipment becomes obsolete almost as fast as smart phones and computers. Bottom line is that if a new owner wanted to put the Valor back into service, the electronics would all end up getting replaced, but this would be a small part of the cost of getting her ready for service.
shirtofgreen

Unread post by shirtofgreen »

Guest wrote:A good question has come up she last sailed in 08 what has changed in the pilot house in 10 yrs or could she sail with her 08 equipment?
depending on the superintendent's foresight, her gyrocompass may or may not have been layed up properly. If it wasn't, you have to replace the majority of the guts. Depending on the model of the gyro, you'd probably just have to get a new one period.

The radar was probably old when the ship was laid up, which means even if it did turn on properly, the parts would be scarce to come by to fix it, if at all. Radar arrays have seals, those tend to go after a while with freeze/thaw and constant UV. Then water gets in the array and freezes/thaws, you get the point.

Same with the AIS and VHF radios, although most likely

Unread post by Guest »

A good question has come up she last sailed in 08 what has changed in the pilot house in 10 yrs or could she sail with her 08 equipment?
Jerry at Duluth

Unread post by Jerry at Duluth »

Denny, a lot would depend on what parts were stripped. If they took major parts of her turbine, that would probably be the end of her. If they took a mooring winch or bow thruster parts or even unloader parts, those can be replaced. Her bridge equipment would need to be replaced even if they had not removed any of it due to the advancements in technology. I guess we will have to sit and wail to see what they do.

Jerry
orangeshirt

I have been aboard the Valor a few times over the last several years and have seen no evidence of "stripping" I believe an effort has been made to keep her mostly intact. I haven't noticed any major assemblies missing. Sometimes parts or equipment is removed to expedite repairs on another vessel but it had to be replaced at a later date. I do know the electronics is outdated and she would need new radars, etc. There is probably a lot of equipment that needs rebuilding or replacement. I would be surprised to see her sail again but it is possible with a lot of work. The owners will have to decide if it is worth the investment.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

If you’re referring to the Adam E. Cornelius which I’m sure you would be then Yes, she was renamed in early February I believe to Adam L. and not sure if she will end up keeping that name or if Algoma renames her at some point? The Buffalo has been supposedly renamed as well to the Algoma Buffalo. So far though there’s been no changes made that I am aware of as far as any new names on the hulls, changes in stack logos or the Algoma Central Corporation logos painted on the bows as well. Hope that this information helps answer your questions here.
Marc

Unread post by Marc »

Former? Has it been re-named?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I believe I had mentioned my comments about the American Valor in an earlier post. With that, I had made the comment and suggested that if I recall from reading earlier news reports that at one point they were now starting to strip the Valor of parts and machinery. My comments were confirmed I believe by Rob W I think as he had thought he read the same thing once. So this leaves me to wonder then, if they started to strip the Valor of parts and machinery then I wonder if they’ve started as well on the Victory? My other thought was if they started to strip any parts on the Valor, just how much then as far as parts and machinery are left for her to operate again? Surely her and the Victory would both need a major 5 year and drydocking done besides any other things that would be needed or to bring them up to code for returning to service. Sorry to go off subject here. Please don’t knock me down on my ideas.
orangeshirt

Cornelius and Valor

For several days now, there has been activity at the former Adam E. Cornelius. A source that should know indicated some engineers are starting work on engines and generators. A Canadian associate tells me he will be attending for some of the electronics work. It would appear fitout preparations are underway. I have not seen any activity around the former American Valor as of yet.