Where are the boats going.

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Pete in Holland MI

Re: Where are the boats going.

Unread post by Pete in Holland MI »

Hi Denny -

No, I haven't counted the estimated losses yet. Only those that were on the list. I noticed the Townsend isn't on there yet, but it's included in my count.

Pete
Denny

Re: Where are the boats going.

Unread post by Denny »

Interesting numbers and stats there Pete thanks for taking the time out and sharing that information with us. I’m sure you have counted four that Algoma plans to retire the Algolake, Algoma Olympic, Algosteel and the Algoway. In a few more years I suppose we can add the Algorail and possibly the Algowood as I thought I read that down the road in a few years of course, she will also be retired. Others that may end up going for scrap at some point are the Manitoba in Montreal and the Manistee in Toledo neither of which have operated in a few years and appears that their careers are done. The tug Jane Ann IV and barge Sarah Spencer both in Toledo have not operated in a number of years as well and they may end up for scrap someday I’m sure. Agree that we are indeed now losing many ships to the breakers although new ones are coming online but not as many as those we’ve lost. Enjoy and photograph the classics while you can as soon they will be all but memories for all of us here!
Pete in Holland MI

Where are the boats going.

Unread post by Pete in Holland MI »

Had some time to kill this morning, so I was going thru the Boatnerd list of scrapped vessels. Since 1999, we've lost 60 boats to scrap. This did not include the ones sold off lake.

The biggest years were:

2011 - 9 vessels
2016 - 9 vessels
2002 - 8 vessels
2004 - 6 vessels
2010 - 5 vessels
2006 - 4 vessels
2017 - 4 vessels

The rest had 3 or less vessels. Yup, there have been new boats added to the fleets, but not as many as have been lost. This helps understand why it is getting harder and harder to spot boats on the lakes.

Scary information for our hobby.

Pete