Question about Ore Carriers for a book I am writing

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
greenshirt

Re: Question about Ore Carriers for a book I am writing

Unread post by greenshirt »

David D wrote:Hi, I am writing a novel and the final scene will take place on a laid-up Great Lakes freighter. I want my bad guy to perish by falling into a hold full of grain and 'drowning' in the grain. Is there any way this would happen without the hatch cover being open? In other words, are there any interior catwalks, etc. that would span a hold for my 'good guy' to throw my 'bad guy' off of? I have been to the Valley Camp and am not sure that is a good representation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
David

http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newsthumbs ... 12-(7).jpg

what I was talking about, bottom-mid picture
greenshirt

Unread post by greenshirt »

David D wrote:Hi, I am writing a novel and the final scene will take place on a laid-up Great Lakes freighter. I want my bad guy to perish by falling into a hold full of grain and 'drowning' in the grain. Is there any way this would happen without the hatch cover being open? In other words, are there any interior catwalks, etc. that would span a hold for my 'good guy' to throw my 'bad guy' off of? I have been to the Valley Camp and am not sure that is a good representation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
David

the ships have smaller man-hole hatches that raise from the deck a 1-2 feet where there's a ladder down into the holds.

that's plausible.
hayhugh3

Unread post by hayhugh3 »

When loading a bulk freighter with grain every space is used. No voids - no empty space - trying to get her down to her marks. Hatches are loading right to the top of the coamings.
David D

Question about Ore Carriers for a book I am writing

Unread post by David D »

Hi, I am writing a novel and the final scene will take place on a laid-up Great Lakes freighter. I want my bad guy to perish by falling into a hold full of grain and 'drowning' in the grain. Is there any way this would happen without the hatch cover being open? In other words, are there any interior catwalks, etc. that would span a hold for my 'good guy' to throw my 'bad guy' off of? I have been to the Valley Camp and am not sure that is a good representation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
David