Kaye E. Barker

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Guest146

Re: Kaye E. Barker

Unread post by Guest146 »

garbear wrote:
Guest wrote:
garbear wrote:I see she's heading for Dearborn. Not like was posted after I said maybe she'd go to River Rouge. She didn't go to Cleveland.
Orders change. You sailed in the 70s. You should know.
I wasn't denying that. The guy that shot me down was sure it was going to Cleveland. Just thought it was funny it didn't.
Garbear,

You were right 100%. She was never going to Cleveland... order changes and all. That Guest doesn't know what he/she is spouting off about.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:
garbear wrote:I see she's heading for Dearborn. Not like was posted after I said maybe she'd go to River Rouge. She didn't go to Cleveland.
I wasn't denying that. The guy that shot me down was sure it was going to Cleveland. Just thought it was funny it didn't.
jim1

Unread post by jim1 »

in the 70s i was on the manitoulin and were heading for taconite harbor list ship from hamilton a few hours north of the blue water bridge a change of orders procede to toledo and load coal for algoma steel at the sault then we went to taconite harbor as you said things change

Unread post by Guest »

garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I see she's heading for Dearborn. Not like was posted after I said maybe she'd go to River Rouge. She didn't go to Cleveland.

Unread post by guest »

i think it means they didnt drain any fluids in the engine room and they kept the engine room with a donkey boiler there fore nothing could freeze mckeil keeps a small tug on west street and they keep it heated with a furnace in case they have to move it on short notice probaby 40 degrees so nothing will freeze and crack open
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I think it is to have the boat ready to sail again at any given notice? Someone else may have a better definition than I do but, I think it may be close to what I’m saying and thinking here? Hope that this helps.

Unread post by Guest »

What does it mean to lay a boat up “hot”? TIA
Jerry at Duluth

Unread post by Jerry at Duluth »

Denny, U S Steel moved a large amount of pellets to Ashtibula where they stockpiled them. At lay up, they laid the Anderson up hot and wanted her to be ready to go around the first week of March. She would shuttle that ore to gary or any other place that needed it. They wanted to get the ore below the Soo so they would not be caught short before fitout like they were a few seasons ago.
Jerry

Unread post by 070966 »

Thank you. I didn't realize it was going to be a shuttle run.
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

Dawn wrote:I watched her (webcam) clear the Mac Bridge at 2:23/14:23.
Marine Traffic has her destination as Ashtabula.
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

I watched her (webcam) clear the Mac Bridge at 2:23/14:23.

Unread post by Guest »

I think some of the post have a sarcastic tone. People just are asking questions about a subject. Take that into account.

Unread post by Guest »

garbear wrote:
Guest wrote:
070966 wrote:To go where?
Shuttle ore to Cleveland Bulk Terminal.

Also it could go to River Rouge.
It "could" also go to Gary, Indiana Harbor, or Toledo, but it's going to Cleveland.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:

Also it could go to River Rouge.

Unread post by Guest »

Unread post by 070966 »

To go where?
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest II wrote:What will she load there Seems odd for her to be down bound for a load.
Probably iron ore.
Guest II

Unread post by Guest II »

What will she load there Seems odd for her to be down bound for a load.
Denny

Kaye E. Barker

Unread post by Denny »

The Kaye E. Barker departed their Lay-Up berth at Sturgeon Bay and Bay Ship this morning and are currently enroute to Ashtabula, Ohio where it will load a cargo upon arrival there. The Barker's departure makes them the first laker to depart Winter Lay-Up at Sturgeon Bay to begin the 2021 shipping season.