Vessels still in layup when are they sailing?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Vessels still in layup when are they sailing?

Unread post by Guest »

There was issues with the pipes freezing on the Guardian and is scheduled to sail the first of the month of May as far as I know it was already supposed to fitted out the first of April but due to the freezing was pushed back
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that news and updates Shipwatcher1. Appreciate that one!
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Shipwatcher News wrote:
Denny wrote:I thought if my memory is correct, wasn’t the tug Dorothy Ann along with the barge Pathfinder suppose to be getting some sort of work done as well? They’ve been laid-up at Erie, Pennsylvania all Winter and they have not sailed yet. Also in regards to the Callaway, “Wasn’t they due to get a 5-year done on her this year?” I thought the plan was to get the 5-year done on them at some point this year and then eventually bring her out of lay-up to sort of be a partial replacement if you will for the Roger Blough and the lost tonnage from her and it’s fire.” Correct me if I’m wrong and if I may have missed something here on that issue.
Denny, I'm not sure we have heard anything definite on the status of the Callaway returning to service this year. She is indeed due for her 5-year, but probably will not know for sure if she's going to be back out until she is moved onto the blocks
From a GLF crew member and Callaway sailor Keith Baker on Facebook:

''STORM WARRIOR'' Great Lakes Sailor/ Keith Baker
As far as the Callaway & Clarke are concerned. The Callaway is in dire need of steel work, that's been put off for too long, that's it end of story!! The Clarke if needed is ready to sail, but that depends on the demand for product. The Blough is still under investigation period! And that's the BOTTOM LINE on those three subjects.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that Shipwatcher News as that answers my question as far as the Callaway goes however, I am awaiting an answer as far as my question too about the Dorothy Ann and Pathfinder status? I would think too that both Algoma Buffalo and Algoma Compass should be out and sailing at some point this season. With the news of Algoma Spirit being retired and soon sent to scrap with the new Jackman coming in here soon from China, there’s been nothing yet said or mentioned as far as the Algoma Guardian still laid-up in Thunder Bay! I wonder if they will sail this year or not? The Guardian when I saw it last year, looked to be in really rough shape!
Shipwatcher News

Unread post by Shipwatcher News »

Denny wrote:I thought if my memory is correct, wasn’t the tug Dorothy Ann along with the barge Pathfinder suppose to be getting some sort of work done as well? They’ve been laid-up at Erie, Pennsylvania all Winter and they have not sailed yet. Also in regards to the Callaway, “Wasn’t they due to get a 5-year done on her this year?” I thought the plan was to get the 5-year done on them at some point this year and then eventually bring her out of lay-up to sort of be a partial replacement if you will for the Roger Blough and the lost tonnage from her and it’s fire.” Correct me if I’m wrong and if I may have missed something here on that issue.
Denny, I'm not sure we have heard anything definite on the status of the Callaway returning to service this year. She is indeed due for her 5-year, but probably will not know for sure if she's going to be back out until she is moved onto the blocks
Shipwatcher News

Unread post by Shipwatcher News »

Jerry wrote:Munson is having work done on it.
I believe her unloading system elevator is being retrofitted with a new system
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I thought if my memory is correct, wasn’t the tug Dorothy Ann along with the barge Pathfinder suppose to be getting some sort of work done as well? They’ve been laid-up at Erie, Pennsylvania all Winter and they have not sailed yet. Also in regards to the Callaway, “Wasn’t they due to get a 5-year done on her this year?” I thought the plan was to get the 5-year done on them at some point this year and then eventually bring her out of lay-up to sort of be a partial replacement if you will for the Roger Blough and the lost tonnage from her and it’s fire.” Correct me if I’m wrong and if I may have missed something here on that issue.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Especially since the Blough is out.

Unread post by Guest »

Saginaw is having her boom cables replaced. That’s over a mile of steel cable!
Jerry

Unread post by Jerry »

Munson is having work done on it.

Unread post by Guest »

that is a surprise that the Clarke and Callway are not planned to sail this year. Is the GLF's business off by that much or did another fleet take over some of its cargoes?
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Clarke-Callaway not running this year. Munson in mid-to-late May. Saginaw very soon.
Denny

Vessels still in layup when are they sailing?

Unread post by Denny »

Anyone hear or know when the following ships and vessels still in lay up will be sailing this year? I am assuming that they will be out and sailing soon but just curious. Here's who I got as far as still in lay up as best as I can remember.

Algoma Buffalo
Algoma Compass
Algoma Guardian
American Courage which should be out soon
Cason J. Callaway
John G. Munson
Philip R. Clarke
Saginaw
Olive L. Moore and Menominee
Dorothy Ann and Pathfinder
Victory and Maumee which should be leaving Buffalo soon

If anyone has any information on any of those vessels that I have listed, it would be appreciated and Thanks in advance as well.