Roadside radar purpose

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Roadside radar purpose

Unread post by Guest »

Jared wrote: This is correct. It is used in conjunction with Border Patrol's camera systems on the 19 towers in the area.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. DHS has their own system already. This was paid for by the county and the feed goes to the county's office of emergency management.

Unread post by Guest »

I visited Lorain County Radio Corporation (Lorain Electronics) office in Lorain, OH (WMI-Lorain) at their Leavitt Road location in August 1983 and they had several radar antennas on the roof of their building. I can't recall if they were actually turning or not, but I certainly remember all the radar antennas!

- Brian
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Guest wrote:That installation is part of the St Clair County Maritime Radar Network. They also have one at the DTE's East China plant and one in Sarnia. I believe it not only detects surface traffic but also drones. Essentially part of a border security network at the county level.
This is correct. It is used in conjunction with Border Patrol's camera systems on the 19 towers in the area.

Unread post by Guest »

That installation is part of the St Clair County Maritime Radar Network. They also have one at the DTE's East China plant and one in Sarnia. I believe it not only detects surface traffic but also drones. Essentially part of a border security network at the county level.

Unread post by Guest »

Seems like radars these days, especially short range, are low power and don't present the hazard older sets used to. Also, it might only emit a signal while pointed toward the river.

Roadside radar purpose

Unread post by Guest »

Anyone know for what purpose this Furuno radar unit is used? It is located on the river side of M-29 across from the north end of Algonac State Park. Customs/Border Patrol monitoring of that river segment? VTS? In addition to wondering about its employed purpose, also recall reading that staying out of the direct line of radar emissions is strongly encouraged, so wondering why it would be beaming radar energy at road level with cars passing by or sending radar beams into the campground across the road.
Attachments
IMG_7491.jpg