Boat I.D.s

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Red

Re: Boat I.D.s

Unread post by Red »

The Ford boat appears most likely to be the Henry Ford II. If you compare this photo with those in the Snider and Davis book "The Ford Fleet," you will see that the orientation of the vents seem to match more with the Henry. As mentioned in the book the Henry and Benson were virtual twins, but early on the Benson had a taller stack and the vents seemed to be oriented higher and closer to the stack. Also, in the book there is no mention of the Benson having a deck added to the forward deckhouse. The Henry had navigational wings added when it was converted to a self-unloader. I have to admit this photo had me searching. Even if this does not solve the problem, it was a fun challenge! Thanks!
Angie

Unread post by Angie »

Thanks, everyone. The gal for whom I posted these shots also says thanks, & that she's "having all sorts of fun" with the posts.
AlexMich

Unread post by AlexMich »

Hi Angie! The two lake freighters are the Henry Ford II and most likely the Johnstown, judging how the name looks to be one word. The Benson Ford that has been mentioned, speaks of the original one that came out in 1924 as did the Henry Ford II, and it looked similar to the Henry as well. In the early 80s, the original Benson was put to the wall and the John Dykstra that joined the Ford Fleet in 1966, was renamed Benson Ford to carry on the name.
Angie

Unread post by Angie »

Hey Guest, I suppose it could be the Benson Ford, but only if i were before she had the extra deck added on the pilothouse. These shots were taken in 1968. When did the Benson Ford have the extra deck added?

Unread post by Guest »

First one could also be the Benson Ford (the one who's forward end is on South Bass Island).
Barry

Unread post by Barry »

Salty is a Jugolinja Line, Yugoslavian flag (Croatia) now ship. She was under charter to the Danish Co., J. Lauritzen Line (JL on stack)- likely the DUNAV, or a sister vessel.
TWilush

Unread post by TWilush »

The first is definitely Henry Ford II, the second could be either Johnstown or Sparrows Point, but my money is on Johnstown.
Greg h

Unread post by Greg h »

First one looks like the Henry Ford?

FYI, if you click on the smaller picture it will open to the large, full resoultion version.
Angie

Boat I.D.s

Unread post by Angie »

A friend and her father took these shots back in the late 1960s/early 70s. The two lakers were taken off Algonac, MI in 1968. I do not know where/when the salty was taken. Does anyone know the vessel i.d.s?

I think the laker with the aft end cut off in the shot is the Henry Ford II. I think the one with the bird in the top right of the photo is the Johnstown. I have no idea what the salty is. Any guesses?

I posted them as higher-res shots on my Flickr account. Please email me if anyone wants the links to those versions. awwordynerdy at yahooDOT com

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Henry Ford II?
Henry Ford II?
Johnstown?
Johnstown?
Unknown salty
Unknown salty