CTC No. 1, Pioneer, Hull No 3, Steelton; her powerplant

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Wheelsman

Re: CTC No. 1, Pioneer, Hull No 3, Steelton; her powerplant

Unread post by Wheelsman »

Yes, I was on the American Racer. Several times. You see, I was a Navy Yeoman in Harbor Ops at Midway Island in the early-70's. The Racer was a regular caller there loading and backloading general cargo, some related to the latter days of the VietNam war. Around that time, Military Sealift Command was starting to turn over the Pacific Island supply routes to civilian contractors. The Victory ships they were using were wearing out and a few were lost in collisions (Merrill being one), plus the couple war casualties. Other early civilian regulars were the American Champion, American Challenger, and one or two others, perhaps the American Pioneer, or Pioneer Challenger. I recall the Racer being an oddball of sorts with her rounded streamlined bridge, as opposed to the usual sharp-edge designs of the others. I was acting Boarding Officer for civilian ships, and served on the working parties as well, so I knew them in and out. What a time.
ssamericanracer

Unread post by ssamericanracer »

Emory Massman wrote:Two different size engines. Liberty ship 24.5-37-70x48
Maritime 24-41-68x42 Both developed 2500 HP
The liberty engine because of the longer stroke operated at a slower speed of 76 RPMs and used 30 tons of bunker C per day
Interesting. I guess I thought with wartime standardization and all, it'd all be the same. I'm guess nobody minded a faster engine! Thanks.
ssamericanracer

Wheelsman wrote:Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I can't help noticing your user name. Were you by chance on the actual SS American Racer, a Challenger-class ocean freighter, in the mid-70's?
No, I wasn't on the American Racer, and we do have the same ship in mind (C4-S-64a) but I have set up a webpage for her and her (mothball) fleetmates I have been contacted by an ex mate of both the American Racer and American Reliance, who was nice enough to pass along some stories. Also, the son of the master of the American Reliance- the one who passed away on board in 1977- is on the favorites list. Did you sail on her at some time? I didn't get the name of that mate, but could try to pass along a message if you want. It really hasn't been easy to find too many folks who sailed on the "salties" of that period, especially the stick ships. Of course a number of them had short active lives, with containerization and all. Anyway, if you have any stories or pictures of them or their sisters, feel free to share.
Emory Massman

Unread post by Emory Massman »

Two different size engines. Liberty ship 24.5-37-70x48
Maritime 24-41-68x42 Both developed 2500 HP
The liberty engine because of the longer stroke operated at a slower speed of 76 RPMs and used 30 tons of bunker C per day
Wheelsman

Unread post by Wheelsman »

Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I can't help noticing your user name. Were you by chance on the actual SS American Racer, a Challenger-class ocean freighter, in the mid-70's?
ssamericanracer

CTC No. 1, Pioneer, Hull No 3, Steelton; her powerplant

This question is about the C.T.C. No. 1 (aka Pioneer, Hull No 3, Steelton; http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/ctcno1.htm ) tied up at the Continental Grain Co., in Lake Calumet at South Chicago. Calumet, Illinois.

I was wondering if any of you knew if she still has her 2,500 IHP triple expansion steam engine. Supposedly, all the L6-S-B1's had that type of engine, and if she still has hers, she's probably the last one that does.

My first ship was a Liberty ship (I worked on the museum ship SS Jeremiah O' Brien starting at age 14 1/2 as a volunteer) and I'm guessing that the Maritimers must have used the same engine, since there were 2751 liberty ships built, and atleast a couple of other designs used it as well.

Also, is there any word around as to her expected continued general longevity?