Old Coast Guard Cutters

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Firemedic026

Re: Old Coast Guard Cutters

Unread post by Firemedic026 »

As chief used to say nothing beats brute horse power of 6 Fairbanks

Unread post by Guest »

There's no replacement for displacement as they say, as well as a wide beam.
Nighthunter

Unread post by Nighthunter »

Many sailors wished the 'old Mackinaw' was breaking ice last year instead of the 'new Mackinaw' which is an over built buoy tender.
If anyone one talks to sailors on the ships this past spring, they would give a low grade to the 'new Mac' as per the 'old Mac". These guys know from many past experiences with both ships which is preferred. Many the USCG should purchase or build a ship like the the Canadian Radisson.
UPMark

Unread post by UPMark »

Having sailed on the Sundew and other breakers. Being involved in this winters ice ops, the Old Sundew would have not been very helpfuul at all. The Ice conditions were pushing Artic class breakers, not the sort of thing Lake boats are designed for.

Unread post by Guest »

Middle rouge wrote:Is it possible that the Sundew might see some work breaking ice in the near future? I know she is still operational.
I doubt it. The ship is privately owned, so the owner would need to hire a sufficient crew, buy what would probably be a great deal of insurance and risk damage to the vessel's engines and hull. I doubt the USCG or LCA would pay enough to make it a profitable venture.

Also, I think bringing old boats out of retirement might be construed by some as implying that the Coast Guard made a mistake by retiring them or that the current generation of vessels can't handle the ice, and nobody at the USCG is going to want to do that.
Middle rouge

Unread post by Middle rouge »

Is it possible that the Sundew might see some work breaking ice in the near future? I know she is still operational.

Unread post by Guest »

[quote="Guest"]Sea crest? Please explain what that is and why filled with cement. Thanks.[/quote

It's sea chest. It's an interior storage area for water-reservoir-that is used to draw water by internal piping.

Unread post by Guest »

Sea crest? Please explain what that is and why filled with cement. Thanks.
Firemedic026

Unread post by Firemedic026 »

Her sea chest was filled with cement. Her sailing days are sadly over
Muskpaul

Unread post by Muskpaul »

A Great BIG thank you to Capt Shepler and Friends. I served aboard the Mac from 86-90 as Helsmen and Oiler she was/ is a great ship. She can roll 52 degrees from center and snap back and plow through ice like butter. I miss her

She is 70 this year. I must go see her
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

Zero chance of that ever happening.
Alex

Unread post by Alex »

Hi Paul, the old Mackinaw won't ever be reactivated. Once a cutter is off "the books" of the Coast Guard, it's off for good. If it wasn't retained by the group of people who preserve it along with the cooperation of Captain Shepler and his dock, it would have been scrapped.
MuskPaul

Old Coast Guard Cutters

Unread post by MuskPaul »

With the talk of a September Arctic vortex and an early freeze is there any possibility that the museum ships, the 180s and Mackinaw WAGB 83 would be reactivated? It's unlikely that the Canadians would be able to add three heavy icebreakers early this fall or before the Welland opens next spring. It is my understanding that the Mackinaw had concrete poured into her somewhere.