Fate of 2 bulk carriers that visited the Great Lakes

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Andre Blanchard

Re: Fate of 2 bulk carriers that visited the Great Lakes

Unread post by Andre Blanchard »

thank you. I have been looking hard for that. I really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Andre Blanchard
MattM

Unread post by MattM »

Here are the dates and locations you are looking for Andre.

Sadan Kaptanoglu: arrived Gadani Beach, Pakistan on Feb 27, 2009 for scrapping as the Gem.

Sapanca: arrived Aliaga, Turkey on Sept 27, 2011 for scrapping as the Sapanca.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

To answer some of your questions, you are correct as both ships are indeed "dead" or scrapped as I took your information and did a search of my own. As you mentioned, Sadan Kaptanoglu was last registered as Gem from Korea and was scrapped presumably with that name. Sapanca was also scrapped I believe it was with that name as well. The Sapanca was last listed on September 13, 2008 and was probably either beached or scrapped around that time or shortly thereafter. Sadan Kaptanoglu was last listed January 28, 2009 for either Port Said, Egypt or around that area at least to say and was also either beached or scrapped at about that same time. So to answer your question mainly, yes both have since been scrapped and are no longer around as far as I know from what I have come up with. Hope that this information helps out.
Andre Blanchard

Fate of 2 bulk carriers that visited the Great Lakes

Unread post by Andre Blanchard »

Hello,

I have been trying to trace down the fate of some bulk carriers I spotted in Oshawa, Ontario back in the late 1990's. I am looking for a status on the following ships:

Sapanca (IMO 7416777) Built: 1975
Sadan Kaptanoglu (IMO 7607819) Built 1977

I have gone through many online resources and both vessels have undergone a few name changes but they are both listed as "Dead" under their various names.

Sapanca was last registered as Sapanca (Turkish Flag), Sadan Kaptanoglu was last registered as Gem (North Korean Flag).

My quesation: does anyone know the fate of these ships? Any dates for scrapping (location too), or if they were sunk?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Andre Blanchard