Return to Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Online
Discussion Boards
Please click to visit our sponsor
It is currently February 20, 2018, 2:19 pm

FAQ | Instructions | Help
Search for:

Post subject: Detroit-based tug Rush-On
Unread postPosted: August 26, 2014, 8:21 pm 
Does anyone recall a tug, home-ported in Detroit named the Rush-On, or Rush On) What I am really trying to determine is what work it did, and the final deposition of the owner's tug and barge. I'm guessing they may have done marine construction or dredging projects.

Here is what info I have on the tug: Rush-On Built 1926 in Jacksonville, Florida as an 300 hp internal combustion yacht, ON 236349. Came to Detroit around 1945 from New York City. Owned by Myra E. Collins from 1945-49. Owned by Leslie W. Collins from 1950 through at least 1974. Appears to be re-powered and converted into a tug sometime around 1950, with horsepower reduced to 65. The tug is still in the NOAA database, but with no owner or status shown.

Leslie Collins purchased two former Baltimore and Ohio wooden railroad barges about 1962 or 1963: No. 300 (originally named Refrigerator No. 4, ON 168401) and Sandusky (ON 166356). These were not car floats, but covered freight barges, roughly similar to this preserved example Image

No. 300 was destroyed by a storm at Fairport, Ohio on March 1963. Sandusky was registered until at least 1968, but not listed in 1974. I'm curious if it came to the Great Lakes in its original covered state, and the final deposition.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Report this post