Storms

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
diesel

Re: Storms

Unread post by diesel »

It is usually the Captain, waves depends on the Captain if hes a cowboy he may make a run for it. If he isn't a cowboy then he will stay put or find a safe anchorage.

Re: Storms

Unread post by Guest »

I believe it has always been the captain's decision. In the past, however, there is little doubt that the knowledge that he could easily be replaced by the company's head office in favor of a skipper that could squeeze a few extra trips a seaons weighed heavily in the final decision for some individuals. In that case the company (perhaps indirectly) could be said as being the final determining factor. Although there are tons of tales concerning captains believing there decision to stay in port while other ships traversed storms to safely reach their destinations could lead to their loss of position, I'm certain that many of the fleets had little problem with a master erring on the side of caution if he percieved a danger to his ship and crew. But then again, those aren't stories worth writing about.

Given that, maybe someone out there can give us some insight in how the larger fleets looked upon this issue, especially while operating several vessels of the same class or similar design.
mopar tim

Storms

Unread post by mopar tim »

Now that fall is creeping closer I started thinking about some of the books I've read on wrecks and none of them really say in so many words who has the final say in leaving port?. So I pose this question to anyone who knows. Is it the Captain or Company? also how big is to big in wave heights to risk going out?. Thanks in advance for any answers