S S Columbia

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
eddyfitz

Re: S S Columbia

Unread post by eddyfitz »

I was a member of ibew58 in detroit and we had an annual picnic down on bob lo island. we would cruise down and back with much merriment knowing we had had a good day at the park.

our union was open to members taking family and friends for the day way over to the island in canada. i always was host to a group and one trip my wife and i maxed out with 39 guests that had a great day day of rides and free food, all this for about 75 dollars.

Unread post by Guest »

Nothing could be finer than steam boating down the Hudson river on a crisp autumn day.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

This is quite historical. Will the present engine be the propulsion? If I ever get out east I will have to take a ride on her.
old sailer

Unread post by old sailer »

Great to See something happening with SS Columbia. I was lucky enough to have had a moonlight cruise on either her or the SS St Clair in the Seventies. What a night wandering around on board, dancing and watching the up a downer working from the veiwing area. Aiso remember working CSL Fort St Louis and racing them in the Detroit River. They where very fast. Let's wish the company that now has the Columbia all luck and hope we see her in her restored condition on the Hudson.

Unread post by Guest »

As was indicated, she is being towed to Toledo for drydocking. Some hull work will be done and she'll be prepared for the tow to New York where she is due to be restored and returned to active service in the Hudson River and New York Harbor.

Unread post by Guest »

The lead tug was Malcolm's Capt. Keith, with Manitou on the stern. She is bound for drydocking in Toledo.
amherstburg

S S Columbia

Unread post by amherstburg »

Today, Tuesday Sept 16 I saw the Columbia (Bob-lo) exiting the Livingston Channel, under tow , with 1 tug on the bow and the other on her stern line. I had not read anything lately about her leaving, Can anyone enlignten me as to where she is destined, and the names of the 2 tugs involved.
The lead tug looked like she could have been a Hoey tug, but I was too far away and without my binoculars, to ident the second tug.
Wes