Cleveland ferry

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Cleveland ferry

Unread post by Guest »

I cannot for the life of me recall the fire you speak of.

I googled it and found the Great White performing at a club in Rhode Island that killed many people. Nothing in Cleveland though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Station_nightclub_fire
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

Just wondering because there's major development going on along the river in Buffalo now & I was thinking about the future. I guess thats what happens when an indipustrial waterfront from the past runs into a recreational waterfront from the future.

By the way, that fire was at a Great White show, not Whitesnake. That was a bad one, good thing they enforce the rules, it was a real terrible tragedy.

What's the business climate at those places like today? Was that all new construction or old, converted buildings?

Unread post by Guest »

The Flats became spring break and martigras combined
It was almost lawless. There was no order to that district among the owners. Fights, drownings, mugging, underage activity, liquor license violations closed clubs, car theft, and so on. The east bank owners would not unite and clean things up. In turn, the city turned thier back on them. The warehouse district just up the hill exploded on the scene and has not looked back. We now have 13,000 people living right downtown since the flats demise. There is big development projects opening up where the row of bars once were.
What we have now beats the hell out of the old flats.
cheers!
hobieone

Unread post by hobieone »

I was told that after the "Whitesnake" disaster where a band's pyrotechnics set fire to an over crowded bar and people died, the Cleveland FD started enforced capacity limits on the establishments like 'Shooters'. The owners said they couldn't make a buck of it with crowd limits and the places dried up. That on top of the USCG enforcing limits on mooring boats that were "rafting" out into the navigable channel. Once a few were crushed when a salt boat tried to swing into the Whiskey Island Channel and another time one in the middle of a mooring caught fire and made a mess of things. Too bad, it was a great place to visit, particularly by boat on a sunny afternoon.
wlbblw

Cleveland ferry

Unread post by wlbblw »

In reference to the news page story about the new ferry service- What happened at the Flats that caused a downturn in the business there & caused a peak in the 80's & 90's?