Herbert C. Jackson Rouge Bridge Accident

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
wlbblw

Re: Herbert C. Jackson Rouge Bridge Accident

Unread post by wlbblw »

Yeah, if you use the term allision outside the maritime community, other people would think you misspoke or that they didn't hear you properly. My spell check doesn't even know that word & it's trying to auto correct it as I type this...

Unread post by Guest »

Wawatam wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:I think that it's the other way around. A collision would occur between two vessels while the event involving the Jackson and bridge is correctly called an allusion.
Correct, an allision describes a vessel striking a fixed object like a bridge.
My error.Thanks for the clarifications. I've got it now. Allision occurs when a vessel strikes a stationary object like a bridge or a dock. A Collision describes moving vessels striking each other.

OK. I have to ask, just for the heck of it.. If a moving vessel strikes a moored vessel (or a vessel that is stationary) is it still a collision or an allision?
It would be an allision. Collision is between two moving vessels.
Wawatam

Unread post by Wawatam »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:I think that it's the other way around. A collision would occur between two vessels while the event involving the Jackson and bridge is correctly called an allusion.
My error.Thanks for the clarifications. I've got it now. Allision occurs when a vessel strikes a stationary object like a bridge or a dock. A Collision describes moving vessels striking each other.

OK. I have to ask, just for the heck of it.... If a moving vessel strikes a moored vessel (or a vessel that is stationary) is it still a collision or an allision?

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Wawatam wrote:I love the term allision as used in the report. (the nautical description of a fender bender)

However, since the Rouge River Bridge is not a vessel, shouldn't this event technically be described as a collision?

I believe an allision is usually used when two vessels bump and scrape up against each other. This event was a little more serious.
I think that it's the other way around. A collision would occur between two vessels while the event involving the Jackson and bridge is correctly called an allusion.
To add further confusion: as the bridge had moving leafs and its motion is what actually caused the accident...does it still qualify as a allision? I don't believe the moving leaf would qualify as a fixed object in the same way as a bridge pier. Is there a term for a bridge hitting a ship?

I believe most people use the term collision to avoid confusion concerning what allision means as most outside of the maritime world would have never heard of this term. I remember all of the news reports calling it a collision at the time.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Wawatam wrote:I love the term allision as used in the report. (the nautical description of a fender bender)

However, since the Rouge River Bridge is not a vessel, shouldn't this event technically be described as a collision?

I believe an allision is usually used when two vessels bump and scrape up against each other. This event was a little more serious.
I think that it's the other way around. A collision would occur between two vessels while the event involving the Jackson and bridge is correctly called an allusion.

Unread post by Guest »

Wawatam

Unread post by Wawatam »

I love the term allision as used in the report. (the nautical description of a fender bender)

Unread post by Guest »

Interesting report. Any information on the American Spirit was it grounding up in the Straits area?

Herbert C. Jackson Rouge Bridge Accident

Unread post by Guest »

The NTSB has released their report on the bridge accident involving the Jefferson Ave Bridge and the Herbert C. Jackson in May of 2013.

This is the link:

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2014/MAB1419.pdf