Capt. Henry Jackman in Buffalo

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
wlbblw

Re: Capt. Henry Jackman in Buffalo

Unread post by wlbblw »

Interesting. First time I've heard of salt moving out from New York. Must be the mine near Retsoff. Did they truck it to Lackawanna or bring it by rail?

Unread post by Guest »

The salt taken out of Buffalo was from a mine just under an hour and a half away
Middle rouge

Unread post by Middle rouge »

Denny wrote:Regarding the coal shipments from Superior to the Detroit Edison Power Plants, Toledo also shipped a few cargoes of coal to the Monroe Power Plant and I think there were a couple or so that they did to the St. Clair/Belle River Plants at the beginning of the season in April? It seems I recall the 1,000 footers from the ASC fleet the McCarthy, Indiana Harbor, American Century and the American Integrity handling some of these loads at that time and a few also in the past couple of months not many though. I don't ever recall coal shipments loaded on the footers before going from Toledo to Monroe and also to St. Clair as these are handled by the smaller size vessels.
Denny,
ASC had a few footer loads of coal loaded in Toledo that went up to St. Clair earlier this year. Due to the delays with ice on Lake Superior and the st.marys, coal was shipped there from montana. I don't know if this was shipped there when the delays happened or if it was stockpiled there over the winter in anticipation of the ice conditions
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

I'm pretty sure that salt that they're hauling out of here originally came from Sifto Salt in Canada (Goderich) & has been stored on the dock since it got here on the Peter R Cresswell last winter.
Yukon3639

Unread post by Yukon3639 »

I have been told that last winter had depleted most salt reserves up north and the local mine has committed to supplying the western ny area which makes the salt warehoused in buffalo by ohio producers worth more in Winsdor than Buffalo.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Joel, the Paul R. Tregurtha is still making "split loads" to Monroe and in fact has some scheduled according to the MERC website. Just go to www.midwestenergy.com and then Terminal Activity. From there, click on "Destination Vessel Schedule" to bring up the schedule of arrivals at St. Clair & Monroe. You should see the PRT making a few "split loads" for both St. Clair and Monroe Plants. Hope that this helps.
Guest in Toledo

Unread post by Guest in Toledo »

Can anyone remember road salt being shipped across an ocean to a lakes’ port? The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) has a contract with a salt supplier delivering 5 shipments of road salt from Morocco to Toledo. The first shipment arrived at Toledo’s Midwest Overseas Terminal dock earlier this month.
Joel

Unread post by Joel »

I think the Monroe power plant can now burn high sulfur coal because they have installed 2 shorter newer stacks to handle this problem. We have not seen the split loads ( Saint Clair and Monroe ) from the PRT as we have seen in the past. I believe most of this coal into Monroe now arrives via rail.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Regarding the coal shipments from Superior to the Detroit Edison Power Plants, Toledo also shipped a few cargoes of coal to the Monroe Power Plant and I think there were a couple or so that they did to the St. Clair/Belle River Plants at the beginning of the season in April? It seems I recall the 1,000 footers from the ASC fleet the McCarthy, Indiana Harbor, American Century and the American Integrity handling some of these loads at that time and a few also in the past couple of months not many though. I don't ever recall coal shipments loaded on the footers before going from Toledo to Monroe and also to St. Clair as these are handled by the smaller size vessels.

Unread post by Guest »

Good point about the coal, but it also brings up another possible factor concerning this shipment. Is the salt acquired from Buffalo of a specific type or grade to fulfil a customer's certain requirement that cannot be met by that originating from Windsor?

For example, the coal for the Twin Ports is low-sulphur western coal that I believe a number of Detroit Edison power plants are specifically configured to use. As such, I believe that they cannot use coal such as that shipped on Lake Erie. I have also heard that steel plants require various grades of taconite for their specific operations.

Perhaps, a similar situation exists with this shipment of salt? Or maybe someone managed to get a good deal?
hayhugh2

Unread post by hayhugh2 »

I worked the lakes for 15 year back in the late 50s and 60s. Don't remember how many loads of coal we loaded in Toledo Ohio for Ashland, Duluth and Superior. Now they are sending coal from Duluth to Toledo......
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

Sometimes the movement of cargo, be it boat, train, truck, whatever, may not make any sense to the outside observer because you never know just who needed what or where they needed it or the price that they got on a special deal, or if some new system was being tested or what the market was doing at the time - there's a million reasons why freight might move in an unpredictable manner. Normally, things fall into a certain routine, but once in a while, you get an odd cargo movement from here to there that might not be repeated - but for reasons known only to the front office of one or two firms involved over some phone call somewhere. Even politics can play a role. I can say from personal experience - Sometimes the workers doing the job don't even totally understand it.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Guest wrote:Salt for Windsor, not Quebec
Jackman is currently westbound in Lake Erie west of Long Point showing a destination of West Windsor due 10-23 (tomorrow). What doesn't make sense to me is why would she take salt to Windsor? Aren't they shipping salt from Windsor's mines?

Steve

Unread post by Guest »

Salt for Windsor, not Quebec
Rob

Unread post by Rob »

On her way
jack

Unread post by jack »

what ever shes loading its going to quebec city with it
Rob

Capt. Henry Jackman in Buffalo

Unread post by Rob »

Does anyone know what the Capt. Henry Jackman is loading in Buffalo?

TIA

Rob