Bob Vincent American Fortitude view

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Bob Vincent American Fortitude view

Unread post by Denny »

Throw in another issue with the American Fortitude scrap tow and that is "I don't think there has been any tugs called in yet for any scrap tows?" Surely there would have to be a tug or two called in to handle a tow of a laker for scrap. I suppose it may be some type of ocean tug to handle such a scrap tow. Just my guess only.
cacw302

Unread post by cacw302 »

Guest wrote:Its getting kind of late in the season for a scrap tow. I believe there was a rumor of the Fortitude going to Texas for scrapping. I would imagine its too late in the year for that at this point with winter getting ready to close in. Has anyone heard if this ship is to be dismantled at Port Colborne or off-lakes? And if so, when will it be leaving Toledo?
The American Fortitude has not been towed to scrap because it still has not been sold. As per the GATX Q2 10-Q, the American Fortitude was still owned by GATX.
bvboatnerd

Unread post by bvboatnerd »

The caption under the picture was supposed to read "American Fortitude, may be spending another winter in Toledo."

I talked with the ship's keeper and he commented about the Fortitude spending another winter in Toledo.

Picture taken 10/16/14.

Bob Vincent
Mark O

Unread post by Mark O »

It"s so sad to see a beautiful ore boat like her go to scrap.I remember when it was the Ernest T Weir coming in to Allouez (Superior) when I worked for The BNSF
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

If you hover your mouse over the photo, the file name includes a date from May, presumably when the photo was taken.

Unread post by Guest »

Its getting kind of late in the season for a scrap tow. I believe there was a rumor of the Fortitude going to Texas for scrapping. I would imagine its too late in the year for that at this point with winter getting ready to close in. Has anyone heard if this ship is to be dismantled at Port Colborne or off-lakes? And if so, when will it be leaving Toledo?
toledoboatphotographer

Bob Vincent American Fortitude view

Unread post by toledoboatphotographer »

If this is a very recent view of her. ASC has put back parts onboard her self unloading boom that were taken off several months ago.