Sailor wages

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
ray

Re: Sailor wages

Unread post by ray »

in 1956 starting deckhand wage was 224.00a month. sat. morning 4 hours pay due at lay-up. imperial oil and Canadian oil wages. watch men and oilers were 240.00
vm

Unread post by vm »

Algoma and Canada Steamship Lines wages for Able Seaman are as follows:

Regular wage: $26.87/hr
Overtime Monday to Friday and first 8 hrs on Sat and Sun: $40.30/hr
Overtime Sat and Sun: $ 53.74/hr
Holiday: $67.18/hr

These are current wages
Brian Ferguson

Unread post by Brian Ferguson »

These are around 10 years old but-

River Class vessel I worked on-
O.S. Deckhand (USWA rate)

Regular time- $13.34/hr (would be $16.77 inflation adjusted)
Holiday- $17.98/hr
O/T- $20.01/hr
SAT/SUN Prem- $6.67/hr
Unloader Prem- $1.00/hr

2003 Tug and Barge
Regular Time- $11.26/hr
O/T- $16.89/hr

Believe it or not I made more money on the tug and barge due to the overtime.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:Relief mates on the US side can make about $500 per day. I was out this summer..
This was a few years ago, but a friend of mine told me that a mutual acquaintance of ours made something like $85,000 on either the Gott or Speer as an AB. Lots of overtime. Can't remember if he was a Watchman or Wheelsman.

Unread post by Guest »

Relief mates on the US side can make about $500 per day. I was out this summer...
bill r

Unread post by bill r »

I started sailing right out of high school in 1970 as a wiper on the E G Grace the starting wage was $2.32 an hour

Unread post by Guest »

What are the wages for these jobs like nowadays?
bill r

Unread post by bill r »

garbear wrote:
Russ wrote:In the early 1960's, deckhand wages were $1.795/hour. They received 40 hours pay at $1.795/hour plus 16 hours at time and a half ($2.69/hour). Total pay was $114.84/week plus any additional overtime (locking through the Soo. cleaning cargo holds, etc).

Deckwatches earned $2.11/hour for 40 hours per week plus a minimum of 16 hours overtime at ($3.16/hour) (approximately $135/week).

These figures are from memory. With a little searching, I can find a few more of the established wages.
I started sailing in 1971 thru 79, and my first year as a deckhand wages were either $2.42/hour or $3.42/hour. That's one of those memory things too. All the overtime and time and a half guidelines were in place here also.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Russ wrote:In the early 1960's, deckhand wages were $1.795/hour. They received 40 hours pay at $1.795/hour plus 16 hours at time and a half ($2.69/hour). Total pay was $114.84/week plus any additional overtime (locking through the Soo. cleaning cargo holds, etc).

Deckwatches earned $2.11/hour for 40 hours per week plus a minimum of 16 hours overtime at ($3.16/hour) (approximately $135/week).

These figures are from memory. With a little searching, I can find a few more of the established wages.
I started sailing in 1971 thru 79, and my first year as a deckhand wages were either $2.42/hour or $3.42/hour. That's one of those memory things too. All the overtime and time and a half guidelines were in place here also.
Russ

Unread post by Russ »

In the early 1960's, deckhand wages were $1.795/hour. They received 40 hours pay at $1.795/hour plus 16 hours at time and a half ($2.69/hour). Total pay was $114.84/week plus any additional overtime (locking through the Soo. cleaning cargo holds, etc).

Sailor wages

Unread post by Guest »

I'm looking for what the wages were like for sailors during the 1940s through the 1960s. I'm sure there was a great disparity between position such as deckhands, porters, and officers. But was just wondering what they were like during this period.