Majestic & Saronic fire December 15, 1915

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
JohnHarrison

Majestic & Saronic fire December 15, 1915

Unread post by JohnHarrison »

Found some interesting info about this incident. At that time a Robert Thompson owned a tug called the Sport that ran out of Port Huron. His daughter Theresa followed in his footsteps in being one of the first females to be a tug operator. On the 15th she was to marry Charles "Biz" O'Connor, but the wedding was delayed when the Majestic caught fire and she went out on the Sport to help pull the Majestic away, but the towline broke and the Majestic ran into the Saronic and that also caught fire. The tug Sport sank off Lexington, MI 13 Dec 1920, the crew, including Robert Thompson made it safely to shore. The Sport is now a diving attraction.

Later in life Charles "Biz" O'Connor had a dock and office just downriver from the Peerless Cement dock. He would deliver & pick up things from those boats going by. In the early 40's he would take my dad out to do compass work on passing vessels. Charles & Theresa moved to California in about 1956 when evidently his dock & office were taken for park property. Their home address for many years was 1131 Elk Street

If you Google "Tugboat Tessie celebrates with blimp ride" about the first thing that comes up is a story about Theresa & her 100th birthday that mentions her earning $1000 for her father for that work on the 15th. She also mentions her father bringing out a diver to the wreck of the Charles S Price in November 1913. This article is split with ads and is 2 pages long, so be sure to work your way through the whole thing. Charles died in 1974 in Los Angeles, Theresa died 22 July 1995 in Long Beach. This article says it was their home that was taken for park property, but I think the home still exists, so it had to be his dock & office.

Does anybody remember Theresa or "Biz" ? I am sure they would have been well known in marine circles around Port Huron.