First aft cabin laker

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
William Lafferty

Re: First aft cabin laker

Unread post by William Lafferty »

I agree with the Cape Breton Miner being amongst the most innovative vessel ever built on the lakes. Unfortunately, I have seen very little ever written about her.
I deal with the Cape Breton Miner in pages 187-191 of my book.

Unread post by Guest »

William Lafferty wrote:
I would say past the 1950's. There seems to be a decline in traditional boats in the 1960s.
If that be the criterion, the Silver Isle, as noted below, probably qualifies best, although it was built in Ireland (not far from where my mother was born and raised), not Scotland. As an aside, it is often stated that the vessel's name refers to Ireland, although, clearly, "Emerald Isle" is a far, far more frequent appellation for Ireland. The origin of that name is a mystery to me. There were also the Alexander T. Wood and Avery C. Adams of 1958, but I don't consider them truly "lakers," since ocean trading was always envisioned for them. Of course, there is also the Cape Breton Miner of 1964, the most innovative vessel ever built on the lakes for my money, but launched after the Silver Isle.
I agree with the Cape Breton Miner being amongst the most innovative vessel ever built on the lakes. Unfortunately, I have seen very little ever written about her.
Lakercapt

Unread post by Lakercapt »

amateur operator wrote:Most people consider the Silver Isle, Mohawk Navigation, 1963, was the first. She was built in Scotland and sailed to Canada. She was joined in a couple of years by the Senneville, (Algoville, Tim S. Doole)

Silver Isle was built at the Verome shipyards in Cork in Ireland not in Scotland.
She was finished in Montreal where they fitted the hatches.
This was a boat where many innovation's were incorporated.
Unfortunately the portholes were fitted upside down.
William Lafferty

I would say past the 1950's. There seems to be a decline in traditional boats in the 1960s.
If that be the criterion, the Silver Isle, as noted below, probably qualifies best, although it was built in Ireland (not far from where my mother was born and raised), not Scotland. As an aside, it is often stated that the vessel's name refers to Ireland, although, clearly, "Emerald Isle" is a far, far more frequent appellation for Ireland. The origin of that name is a mystery to me. There were also the Alexander T. Wood and Avery C. Adams of 1958, but I don't consider them truly "lakers," since ocean trading was always envisioned for them. Of course, there is also the Cape Breton Miner of 1964, the most innovative vessel ever built on the lakes for my money, but launched after the Silver Isle.
Brian Ferguson

Unread post by Brian Ferguson »

The Yuma was also an early one 1893.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

William Lafferty

I think you need to refine "modern" here. I'm at my office and away from my "stuff," but off the top of my head, aside from the whalebacks so designed, maybe the Andaste of 1892. Of recent vintage I would say Fort York of 1958.
amateur operator

Unread post by amateur operator »

Most people consider the Silver Isle, Mohawk Navigation, 1963, was the first. She was built in Scotland and sailed to Canada. She was joined in a couple of years by the Senneville, (Algoville, Tim S. Doole)
Nate

Unread post by Nate »

First freighter that comes to mind to me is the Colgate Hoyt which was built in 1890.
Jared

First aft cabin laker

Unread post by Jared »

What was the first modern aft cabin designed laker? I know that the rabbit boat design was dabbled with but never took off.