footers

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mr Link

Re: footers

Unread post by Mr Link »

I think building 1000 footer ATB's for the lakes with similar tonnage to the existing ships is certainly feasible. But whether ATB's or ships are ultimately built has been debated numerous times on this board. It will ultimately come down to the economics of reduced crew size on the ATB's vs better fuel efficiency on ships.

Crowley is currently running three ATB's with overall dimensions of 674' by 105.5' by 57'. They are tank barges. And while they are considerably shorter than a thousand footer, the breadth and depth is almost identical to the Paul R. Tregurtha. They run with a crew of 14, or 7 less than a ship of the same capacity.

http://www.professionalmariner.com/June ... ll-can-do/

The Great Lakes Trader ATB was specifically designed at Seaway max so that shipyards off the lakes could bid on the construction. And while built on the Lakes, the Lakes Contender used the same blueprint.

Unread post by Guest »

Mr Link wrote:
bob wrote: also is 1013 feet the longest they can fit in the poe lock?
The current Poe lock has a 1200 foot long chamber although I think there are regulations currently prohibiting anything longer than the PRT. However, regulations can be changed. Didn't Seaway max used to be something like 75' by 730'?
Yes. The Seaway Max used to be 730x75.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Mr Link wrote:
The current Poe lock has a 1200 foot long chamber although I think there are regulations currently prohibiting anything longer than the PRT. However, regulations can be changed. Didn't Seaway max used to be something like 75' by 730'?
Seaway Max continues to be 740' x 78'. That refers to the St Lawrence Seaway and Welland Canal locks.

Yes, that means that the footers are land locked.

Steve
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

RCRVRP

Unread post by RCRVRP »

Does a tug/barge combination of the same overall length carry the same amount of tonnage as a conventional boat?
bob

footers

Unread post by bob »

as the fleet of 1000 footers ages are we going to see the traditional style footer or are they going with the tug barge combination when it comes time to replace them? I realize that the tug barge combo runs a smaller crew which is cost effective but it seems that they don't have the same gross capacity as say the prt. also is 1013 feet the longest they can fit in the poe lock? tia