CSL Tadoussac

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
6WF7

Re: CSL Tadoussac

Unread post by 6WF7 »

I was told that lowerlakes was keeping the csl crew for the charter by one of the crew menbers
Wyane

Unread post by Wyane »

Last we heard was Tadoussac looks good, but needs a great deal of work where you don't see. She was set to sit out this season if not needed. Frontenac was to stay at the wall until middle to end of May as she sailed into the middle of February. Erie was to sit out as she is in worse shape than the Tad. CSL has cargo to haul. They were expecting to have 3 straight deckers sit also this year. Frontenac was to haul grain, stone and salt. Crew still has all personal items on board. Normally is they are going to the wall for long term, crew is told in advance so they can remove their personal items so they can go to the hall and get another ship. If Frontenac is being leased, now comes the question, CSL unlicensed crew is SIU, Lower Lakes last we knew is not SIU. So, what happens to crew and what happens to their personal items with strangers in their rooms.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I don't think its the physical condition of the ship. More likely worsening business conditions and the delivery of new More efficient carriers. New ships and no contracts have put many a ship to the wall
You don't dump a 730'x-78' self-unloader with lots of life left in her, while self-unloaders and bulkers that are in worse shape than she is remain running. Remember that her midbody below the upper deck was completely replaced in the early 2000s.

She's in excellent shape, so even if she's not needed this season, the worse that will happen is she'll sit at the wall. Much too young of a vessel with a midbody that entered service back in June of 2001, for them to dispose of her now just because there's possibly a lull in their business.

If she doesn't sail this season, which I highly doubt will be the case, she's certainly not going anywhere.

It's the ships that haven't seen major work, like the Atlantic Erie that's docked at Section 56 in Montreal, that are going to be going over the next few seasons.

Unread post by Guest »

I don't think its the physical condition of the ship. More likely worsening business conditions and the delivery of new More efficient carriers. New ships and no contracts have put many a ship to the wall

Unread post by Guest »

They're not getting rid of what amounts for all intents and purposes, to a 15 year old self-unloader with easily 20 good years left in her midbody (which saw replacement below the deck back in 2000 or so). Plus, she hasn't had many saltwater trips since then, and cement clinker is easier on her holds as well than something like salt.

Even if her engine room is giving trouble which is still original (Not saying that it is), she's young enough in the important areas where they'd surely repower her if her original powerplant is becoming problematic.

They've been repowering other self-unloaders of similar vintage, with the forebody replacements done back around the same time as she was rebuilt.

I don't see it since of their older vessels, next to the four forebody replacements, she would seem to have by far the most life left in her at this point thanks to that investment made a few years ago.

Re: CSL Tadoussac..

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote:I agree with Guest's comments as well as I find this information to be difficult to believe as well. Like Guest says, "In 2000/01 she was widened to 78 feet and was used on the cement clinker trader but, that trade ended many years ago also." Later on then, CSL decided to paint her hull red while in Toledo just a few short seasons ago as well. It seems that she has been busy carrying taconite the last few seasons to USS/Nanticoke now that the Hamilton plant has closed. I am also aware of rumors that her CSL fleetmate the Frontenac was mentioned has "not fitting out in 2015 and also being on charter to Lower Lakes Towing as well for the season." Time will tell I guess as to her future and what plans the CSL Tadoussac will have done to her?
I don't know how much I would believe the Frontenac charter to Lower Lakes rumor. The only possibility I could see is if Lower Lakes needed a vessel for the short term while awaiting delivery of their converted salt-water tanker. If the fleet had been in need of short-term capacity, however, it seems strange they would not have retained the McKee Sons (Is her charter to Lower Lakes/Grand River now over?) unless the barge needed to much work before returning to service or they could not reach such an agreement with its owners. In conclusion, I don't see CSL chartering a ship to a competitor. If the Tadoussac has ended her career, I see no other future possibility for her but a scrap tow as I doubt CSL would sell her to a competitor (with Lower Lakes or Algoma being the only real options). It is amazing how few fleets are left operating on the lakes than there was just 30 years ago.

Unread post by Guest »

I big downturn in steel and coal. New ships being delivered. Aren't these factors often involved in ships becoming excess. Let's hope we don't see more.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I agree with Guest's comments as well as I find this information to be difficult to believe as well. Like Guest says, "In 2000/01 she was widened to 78 feet and was used on the cement clinker trader but, that trade ended many years ago also." Later on then, CSL decided to paint her hull red while in Toledo just a few short seasons ago as well. It seems that she has been busy carrying taconite the last few seasons to USS/Nanticoke now that the Hamilton plant has closed. I am also aware of rumors that her CSL fleetmate the Frontenac was mentioned has "not fitting out in 2015 and also being on charter to Lower Lakes Towing as well for the season." Time will tell I guess as to her future and what plans the CSL Tadoussac will have done to her?

Unread post by Guest »

I find this difficult to believe. Her holds were completely replaced in 2000/2001 including a modernized self unloading system. This work was done because CSL had received some long term contracts for the haulage of cement clinker and iron ore. It's true, the clinker trade ended several years ago and her regular ore haul into Stelco/USS in Hamilton is also finished. But I would think she's still a viable carrier. Am I missing something ?
Lappeman

CSL Tadoussac

Unread post by Lappeman »

Heard a Rumor this week that the CSL Tadoussac is up for sale and might be done. Any truth to this? She's in winter layup here in Thunder Bay.