Sturgeon Bay Activity

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
pcolachap

Re: Sturgeon Bay Activity

Unread post by pcolachap »

Did they keep the crew aboard the Speer or send them home?
Alex

Unread post by Alex »

Or the Paul could just be trying out the wheelhouse they now have at the bow. Har har
Sampler

Unread post by Sampler »

Tregurtha is awaiting ice breaking assistance
from the Erika K. and will proceed to Esky via Green Bay. Erika K. will depart Esky when the wind changes to the N or NW tonight. Expect Tregurtha to reach Esky tomorrow afternoon or evening.

Unread post by Guest »

esky wrote:why is the tregutha in green bay? its full of ice why not go into lake mi. and head nort. the sikes did the same thing when heading to esky after fit out. they had to turn around and go through the canel to get out

They head toward the bay to turn because there is not room and deep enough water in front of Bayship to make the turn. Further, the bay was full of ice when the Sykes left. Same with the Block, which did the same thing. Today's winds may change that. Further still, the PRT is breaking in engines after rebuild..even further, the ship canal needs to be examined to be sure it is clear of obstacles following the Speer incident.

With all this going on, the wind may open up the bay to make it usable for departures from this point on.
Sampler

Unread post by Sampler »

I expect the Tregurtha is in no rush to depart Sturgeon Bay until they can be assured of a clear dock at Esky. The Block is currently only 60% loaded and will not finish loading until 1700 hrs or later. They may also want the Block to clear a path out to the Lake when departing Esky. I'm sure these south winds have blown the ice back north in the northern reaches of Green Bay.

Unread post by Guest »

Looks like it is stuck about a 1/4 mile south of Sherwood Point Light for at least the hour and half that I have been up. Still has 1/2 mile before it hits the really wind blown thick ice. Crack across the mouth of Little Harbor is open this morning about 6 feet. Nothing out helping her yet. Mobile Bay is north so would be the Selvick tugs.
esky

Unread post by esky »

why is the tregutha in green bay? its full of ice why not go into lake mi. and head nort. the sikes did the same thing when heading to esky after fit out. they had to turn around and go through the canel to get out
Sampler

Unread post by Sampler »

Looks like the PR Tregurtha is moored in the Sturgeon Bay turning basin; probably planning to depart tomorrow. Originally due in Esky tomorrow at 0900 hrs, but Joe Block arriving at Esky to load tonight at 0100 hrs. Loadout for the Block has been averaging about 17 hrs so far this season.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Did she come back through the ship canal to get back to the Shipyard?
Yes.

Unread post by Guest »

Did she come back through the ship canal to get back to the Shipyard?
Brian033

Unread post by Brian033 »

Any updates on the Speer and damage or when she will depart again? Any ships departing this weekend?

Unable to view the video as well. Listed as private
EdDuluth

Unread post by EdDuluth »

Thanks hayhugh3!

Unread post by Guest »

I was able to view the videos. Quite nerve racking to see them get closer and closer as they approached. I'm sure the crew knew what was going to happen well in advance. An earlier post suggested they hit a boulder and were deflected into the wall. Whetherever the cause, I'm sure those in command would feel awful about it.
hayhugh3

Unread post by hayhugh3 »

A graving dock is a hole in the ground with a gate at one end. The dock is flooded, the gate is opened and the vessel is floated in and gate closed and pumped out. A dry dock is a vessel that is ballasted down with enclosed side tanks, vessel is floated in, the dry dock pumped out thereby letting her rise in water and the vessel is raised up inside the dry dock.
Chilinorth

Unread post by Chilinorth »

I was able to watch both videos yesterday, can't watch them today.
EdDuluth

Unread post by EdDuluth »

I'm not a FB user either, could not view the video. Not sure what a graving dock is, have heard the term used loosely over time and am not sure what it means. I'm assuming it's a dock to repair major damage? A drydock?

Unread post by Guest »

Don_Detloff wrote:
standuffer wrote:I can't look at that video, says Private. Anyone else having the same problem?.
I watched it without problems yesterday, but just now it asked me to sign in.

- Don
Taken down, I also watched both videos (home boat watcher taken) just a rush through youtube, I see those also were taken down. I am sure that is professional courtesy, for those involved.
First observations of damages were also taken down, if correct, lets just say, there is a reason, it went straight to the graving Dock.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Looking out my window Green Bay is solid ice at least beyond Green Island and no melting along the shore. Speer had trouble turning in Sturgeon Bay and needed two tugs to break ice and push it around.
standuffer

Unread post by standuffer »

Might be that FB Denny mentioned. I'm not a FaceBooker.
Don_Detloff

Unread post by Don_Detloff »

standuffer wrote:I can't look at that video, says Private. Anyone else having the same problem?.
I watched it without problems yesterday, but just now it asked me to sign in.

- Don