Mackinac traffic

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Alex

Re: Mackinac traffic

Unread post by Alex »

Please Jon Paul, sorry isn't necessary. To sum the story up, in 1926 there were 150 freighters tied up, tied together, or stuck in ice below the Soo Locks that brought all navigation to a stop. Either the Chief Wawatam or the Sainte Marie spent 3 weeks along with some tugboats, breaking free all but 26 freighters. I say either the Chief or the Marie because some sources speak of just one of them as the main icebreaker for that event. I'll keep looking for some reliable sources to share as opposed to my memory. Thank you for sharing the great pictures you have, please keep them coming!
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

I'm sorry Alex, I certainly didn't mean to confuse matters, your points are right on the money! I only meant that the C-4's were a flash in the pan compared to the Chief. For more than half a century the Chief was the "go to" icebreaker in the region. Honestly many of our friends on here may not be that familiar with the 1926 blockade, are you familiar with any reading material that you could pass along? I'm drawing a blank.
Alex

Unread post by Alex »

Jon Paul, I certainly agree about the Chief being the king of breakers! I just chimed in about your boat and the others as a random thought of good boats in the ice. The icebreaking task the Chief lead at the Soo in 1926, the Great Lakes Ice Blockade, makes for great reading and certainly a feat that is unmatched.
Jon Paul

garbear wrote:Jon Paul-How long did it take to go from the Calumet Harbor pier head light to the Republic Steel dock? In the years I sailed we never went up the Calumet River. It was either Gary or the South Works-North Dock. We only went away from our usual routes once when we unloaded at Youngstown Sheet and Tube. That was probably in the mid-70's.
A lot depended on the conditions. If everything went right it was 90 minutes to 2 hours from the Pier Light. However because of all the action from KCBX coal loading dock, on occasion we had to wait for an out bound vessel and would just lay about in the outer harbor inside the breakwall. The Maxine which ran Esky to Wisconsin Steel, just north and across the river from Republic Steel also was a bullet to dodge. There is no two way traffic between the entrance to the river and Republic Steel. The biggest intangible of course was the notorious 5 Bridges. It was the Amtrak main line and we spent far too much time with the bow nudged into the soft bank of the river waiting for a train to pass.
As a 21 yr old wheelsman it taught me a lot of patience and to focus on the task at hand regardless of distractions. With the three tier forward cabins and huge stack the White was prone to wind sheering.
Jon Paul

Alex wrote:Jon Paul, let's not forget your former boat, the White, and the Girdler and Patton
Your right Alex, the C-4s were awesome icebreakers but in my opinion the Chief Wawatum was the king of ice breakers outside of the USCG and CGC. Her and her running mate Sainte Marie were instrumental in keeping the Straits open during the late fall/winter/spring times and even spent time in the lower St. Mary's River when needed.
Attachments
CW.jpeg
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Jon Paul-How long did it take to go from the Calumet Harbor pier head light to the Republic Steel dock? In the years I sailed we never went up the Calumet River. It was either Gary or the South Works-North Dock. We only went away from our usual routes once when we unloaded at Youngstown Sheet and Tube. That was probably in the mid-70's.
Alex

Unread post by Alex »

Jon Paul, let's not forget your former boat, the White, and the Girdler and Patton
drydock

Unread post by drydock »

About an hour ago I watched the Cort go by Manistique 7 miles off shore in open water. It's now slowed and is headed closer to shore in a NE direction East of Seul Choix Point. I wonder if she is going into a holding pattern to await ice cutting assistance which would also help the Munson and Alpena heading west?

Unread post by Guest »

The wind has eased and the Cort is approaching the Straits, so it will be interesting to watch what happens today.
Jon Paul

Alex wrote:The Chief Wawatam, now you're talkin!
Yea, I heard as soon as they were done loading this string of railroad cars that they were going to head over west of the bridge and break them out!
Attachments
chiefwawatam.jpg
Alex

Unread post by Alex »

The Chief Wawatam, now you're talkin!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I noticed that this afternoon. We had a bout with snow in Duluth this afternoon. Ground became white, but melted right away. It's been very windy here all day.
Jon Paul

Well apparently they didn't get very far. Currently they are both sitting in the ice east of Waugoshance Point and west of St. Helena Island about 12 miles west of the Bridge. It has been pretty windy and snowing steadily here in Mackinaw City all afternoon...Maybe we need to get the Chief Wawatum over there to help them out..those were the days!
garbear

Mackinac traffic

Unread post by garbear »

The John G. Munson was westbound at the Bridge at 6:32 p.m. and the Joe Thompson was eastbound at the same time(Central time). They passed under the Bridge. At 6:47 p.m. the Alpena was westbound. Watched the traffic on the 9 & 10 weather cam.