Boats with Bicentennial colors

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
garbear

Re: Boats with Bicentennial colors

Unread post by garbear »

Brings back memories of my first fit-out. We had to paint the rudder and there was a small barge tied off so we could stand on when we painted. We were taken there by a row boat. When lunch rolled around there was no row boat. So the only way to get back on the boat was to climb the Jacobs ladder that was hanging over the stern from the fantail. To this day I'll never forget climbing that ladder as it was swinging back and forth in space. With every step I took it just kept swinging. Painting over the side was no treat either when the staging plank was dropped, especially if one end at a time was lowered and it was at a 30 degree angle until the other end was lowered. Quite an experience for an 18 kid working his first job.
hayhugh3

Unread post by hayhugh3 »

HayHugh, how much time did it take to paint the hull of a boat like the Voorhees?
The deck department would paint both sides (winter gang usually painted the bow and stern) the name on the bows and stern and both quarters, prepare for and take all Coast Guards inspections including safety equipment, fire and boat drills during the three days before sailing. The worst part in painting was if you were tied up next to another boat. You would have to slack lines and spring out your boat and drop staging between the boats. You would usually drop the staging about 8/10 feet and paint whatever you could and then drop the staging again until you reached the water line, Long trip back up the Jacobs' latter,

Unread post by Guest »

My grandfather started sailing for Pittsburgh SS Co in 1916, and retired as a Captain in 1934. My father sailed with Pittsburgh SS Co from 1936 until 1968, retiring as Chief. My uncle sailed with Pittsburgh SS Co from 1942 until 1978, retiring as Captain. While not as distinctive as Cleveland Cliffs for Inland Steel, nevertheless the Pittsburgh boats were always well painted and nice to see. The bicentennial year was special, and I never saw a boat with the bow paint continued into 1977. Unfortunately that all changed in the late 80's and now I am appalled to see the condition of the Anderson, Clarke and Callaway. Of course, US Steel no longer owns the few remaining boats (compared to 60+ in the 40's and 50's).
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

The 8 years I was on the Clarke we painted the cabins every year. Also the decks and usually every year we'd paint a cargo hold and the underside of the hatches for that hold. The year I was on the Watson, which I have posted before, was also her final full year of sailing, we also painted all the cabins, decks, and we painted a cargo hold. The hulls were also painted most years either by the crew or the 'winter gangs."

Unread post by Guest »

HayHugh, how much time did it take to paint the hull of a boat like the Voorhees?
standuffer

Unread post by standuffer »

hayhugh3 wrote:Back in those days the hull was painted before you left the fit-out dock and both houses were painted during the season. USS took great pride in their boats.
Oh... the good old days...
hayhugh3

Unread post by hayhugh3 »

Back in those days the hull was painted before you left the fit-out dock and both houses were painted during the season. USS took great pride in their boats.
Ray

Unread post by Ray »

One thing that surprises me is how short-lived these Bicentennial paint schemes were. Quite a number of the USS boats were permanently laid up a year or two after the Bicentennial, but I don't recall seeing Bicentennical color schemes on any of the boats stored around Duluth-Superior, nor have I ever seen a photo of a boat on a scrap tow with the stars on the bow. Or did USS make a point of painting over the bicentennial schemes before a scrap tow?

Unread post by Guest »

Two more
Attachments
1976 - Voorhees, Enders M, at Soo.jpg
1976 - Olds, Irving S, Underway Light.jpg
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I guess if it was up to the creativity of the deckhands, we weren't a very creative bunch on the Clarke.

Unread post by Guest »

My father retired before 1976, but my uncle was still sailing as a Captain. My recollection is that it was up to the Captain and the creativity of the deck hands. There may also have been some competition amongst the various crews.

Unread post by Guest »

Although following a general theme, there seems to be a wide range of variations within the Bicentennial colors applied to the ships of the USS fleet. Did the company allow the crews of each ship to individualize their markings to personalize the basic scheme?

Unread post by Guest »

garbear wrote:There was the International and the Harvester.
The Harvester was sold to the Gartland Steamship Company in 1964 and renamed Chicago Trader the following year. By 1976 it had been sold to the S&E Shipping Corporation (Kinsman). As it ran until October of the 1976 shipping season it is possible that it carried Bicentennial colors under the Chicago Trader name.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

There was the International and the Harvester.

Unread post by Guest »

The boat was The International owned by the International Harvester and appears on page 26 of Robert Campbell's new book "Classic Ships of the Great Lakes."

Unread post by Guest »

Still more "Silver Stackers"
Attachments
1976 - Irvin, William A, at Lorain.jpg
1976 - Watson, Ralph.jpg
1976 - Stanley, Robert C, on St Clair River.jpg
1976 - Callaway, Cason J, Outbound from Duluth.jpg
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Even though I was on the Clarke at that time the Munson's stars and stripes was one of my favorites. I took several photos of her when she was backing out of Gary after unloading stone. We were unloading at the north end of the dock at the time under the huletts, so I got some good shots as she backed out between the breakwalls. I don't have any way to scan photos, so all I can do is look at them.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I am not too good on the classic lakers and especially the ones that wore the bi-centennial colors in 1976 as I was very young back at that time and did not have the interest like I have today. Just got a new book for my birthday with photos of historic and classic ships and I can assure you one at least that had the color scheme was the Harvester or International Harvester? I am sorry if I do not have the name of the vessel correct but, I am sure someone will know the one that I am talking about. There is a photo of her in the book that I received and it clearly shows her in the colors for the bi-centennial in 1976. Hope that this helps. My thanks also for the classic photos posted here by viewers as well.

Unread post by Guest »

My dad's two favorite boats were the Cole and Lindabury. Spent a number of years as Chief on them, and opted for them over the Class AAA trio (even though he was on them in the 50's.)

Unread post by Guest »

Nice pictures of the Bradley boats. I remember the seeing a picture of the John G. Munson as a child (late 1970s) in a Know Your Ships book in Bicentennial colors as it passed downbound at Mission Point. In the picture of the Munson in the Poe Lock you posted, it looks like CSL's T. R. McLagan is nearing the upper approach.