Ryerson

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
garbear

Re: Ryerson

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:New Guy Rick-Make a trip up here to the Twin Ports and you can get a great view of her.
I'm flying up to Duluth in two weeks. Can anyone tell me the best spot to get pictures of her at the present time? When I went there three years ago I was able to get some good shots of the Ryerson while it was laid up at Frasers.
As you come off the U.S. 53(Blatnik) Bridge take the right hand loop. As you come around the loop you'll see a stop sign. Go to the sign. Make a left on 3rd and continue on 3rd to Banks Ave. From there you'll see the Ryerson and you can decide what you want to do. I haven't taken pictures in years, but when I wanted to get photos of boats loading a CHS #1, there was a dirt alley behind a coupe bars on 3rd between Tower and Banks. If there's boat at CHS #2, the slip that's right next to the bridge. You can drive right up to the head of the slip. Hope this helps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.7376512,-92.101227,15z
New Guy Rick

Unread post by New Guy Rick »

A trip to Superior is definitely on the bucket list.

I race sailboats on Lake St Clair and love to camp at Algonac State Park on the St Clair River. But my boatnerding is a somewhat recent fascination.
I have a short list on boats that run this side of Michigan that I have not seen but I am trying to catch. I don't want these to end up like the Ryerson for me. So:
The Kaye E. Barker is a beauty.
The Joe Thompson for it's rich history.
The John D Leitch because I want to see if it really looks that weird.
And the Presque Isle because I don't think I have yet.
I have a long list too.

Rick
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

In Superior, WI, right at the end of one of the main drags - Tower Avenue is where she is. When working your way North on Tower the road kind of ends when you near the bay. There between old grain elevators and a few other industrial buildings sits the bow of the Ryerson all pumped out. There are a couple of dirt service roads and you just kind of wind your way in. You can get fairly close. Also, coming over the US 53 High Bridge from MN to WI, you can see the stern off to the right about a block.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:New Guy Rick-Make a trip up here to the Twin Ports and you can get a great view of her.
I'm flying up to Duluth in two weeks. Can anyone tell me the best spot to get pictures of her at the present time? When I went there three years ago I was able to get some good shots of the Ryerson while it was laid up at Frasers.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well lahey, at least we have our photos and memories and thanks to folks like boatnerd and the MHSD website and others, they help keep the memories alive of the classic ships like the Ryerson along with the Fitzgerald and Cliffs Victory among a few. Fortunately we also have history books that a few companies have and others have also written as far as company history such as Interlake and Skip Gillham writing about the history of some as well. I hope that Skip and others will continue to write the history of the companies as it is important and is history as far as keeping and preserving our past alive. I wish that there were more books on the history of the companies such as Oglebay Norton. I could go on but will stop for now. My Thanks to all and everyone though for helping keep the past alive through books, calendars and video dvd as well.
lahey

Unread post by lahey »

Denny wrote:Rick, it is a shame and too bad you never got to see her when she was running as she was indeed a real Queen and Beauty to see and behold. She was built in Manitowoc, Wisconsin in 1960 and back then at that time, those were the good 'ole days on the Lakes and the Rivers. Unfortunately for me I was not born yet back then and will never remember or live through the 1960s as far as shipping. Everyone tells me on the St. Clair River at least "They remember the days of the Old Ford Boats coming and going where you could hear those engines for miles and see that black smoke also on the horizon and get a good whiff and smell of it!" Ah, remember those good 'ole days boatnerds? How I wish we can travel back in time and relive those days! I never got to see the Fitzgerald before her untimely demise as I was only three when she went down but, to those that remember her she was much like the Ryerson then.
Such a shame what's become of a once glorious industry, so many companies and ships gone now.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Rick, it is a shame and too bad you never got to see her when she was running as she was indeed a real Queen and Beauty to see and behold. She was built in Manitowoc, Wisconsin in 1960 and back then at that time, those were the good 'ole days on the Lakes and the Rivers. Unfortunately for me I was not born yet back then and will never remember or live through the 1960s as far as shipping. Everyone tells me on the St. Clair River at least "They remember the days of the Old Ford Boats coming and going where you could hear those engines for miles and see that black smoke also on the horizon and get a good whiff and smell of it!" Ah, remember those good 'ole days boatnerds? How I wish we can travel back in time and relive those days! I never got to see the Fitzgerald before her untimely demise as I was only three when she went down but, to those that remember her she was much like the Ryerson then.

Unread post by Guest »

New Guy Rick-Make a trip up here to the Twin Ports and you can get a great view of her.
New Guy Rick

Unread post by New Guy Rick »

That is what I love about this site. I have never seen the Ryerson, and it sounds like I never will. But you guys make me stop and look. What a beauty! Thank you for sharing.
Rick
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just wish someone could come up with a few dollars to preserve and save her as a museumship! One problem though is where to have her as a museumship? What would be a good profitable port to have her in for a museum? Sorry folks as I am a few dollars short of trying to save the classic girl and laker. She was one my favorites and miss her dearly especially that classic steam whistle. They just don't make them like her anymore. My best memory of her was "Engineer's Day 1997 at the Soo when she came down and was put into the Mac Lock." I still have my photos of that and never ever gonna give them away to nobody. Those are going with me when I see her and others in boatnerd heaven I hope someday!

Unread post by Guest »

Not enough cargo, and very unlikely to increase. Ryerson will next sail on the end of a scrap tow line. It almost happened in the mid-80s.

Unread post by Guest »

Time is not on her side. Beside the reasons stated below, her primary cargos are also in permanent decline. Their is no hope for a coal revival. The north american steel industry is in serious decline as well. She is a beautiful ship, but her and other steamboat's have had their day.
guest3

Unread post by guest3 »

Although a beautiful boat, it is obsolete. 55 years old, steam powered, burns environmentally unfriendly fuel, and has no self-unloader and no good way to install one.
Jeric

Ryerson

Unread post by Jeric »

Any chance the Ryerson will ever sail agin? What is the problem?