US flag El Faro missing off the Bahamas

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: US flag El Faro missing off the Bahamas

Unread post by Denny »

If I am not mistaken, I believe that they may have found possibly a life ring from the vessel? I thought I saw and briefly read about that yesterday in some article? Other than that, it does not sound or look like they have found much of anything thus far. As one had said and mentioned earlier, it does indeed sound like something to be related with the Edmund Fitzgerald sinking.
lahey

Unread post by lahey »

No one in the media is admitting it, but something has gone seriously wrong when a ship disappears for over 48 hours with no radio/radar contact. I hate to say it, but she's probably on the bottom.

The whole thing echoes eerily of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

What was that ship doing getting caught out in that storm?
This is a very good question. When the vessel left Jacksonville, it was clear that Joaquin was a hurricane and could easily grow in power. The El Faro took the "fast" route to Puerto Rico east of the Bahamas, rather than the protected route between Florida and the Bahamas. This decision took the freighter directly into the most furious part of the escalating storm. The El Faro carried a large number of vehicles (trucks, trailers, and automobiles) on its lower deck, which had a number of openings seaward, as well as containers on the main deck. These are highly unstable cargoes in extreme weather. Also troubling is the vessel's apparent complement of two open lifeboats exceedingly high above the waterline, as the link in the photograph I posted below indicates. How could these possibly be successfully launched from a capsizing vessel in category 4 seas and winds?

The (tragic) irony here is right now there is a number of Great Lakes vessels anchored awaiting weather, not even remotely of hurricanic proportion, many of which have inclined quick release, enclosed lifeboats.

Unread post by Guest »

What was that ship doing getting caught out in that storm?

Unread post by Guest »

I sailed on these ships on the Seattle to Alaska run then around the world. They were, without a doubt, the best heavy weather ships I every sailed on. Prayers for them and their family.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

This article was in the afternoon Detroit Free Press.

http://www.freep.com/story/weather/2015 ... /73196666/
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Puerto Rico 561732/IMO 7395351. Steel single screw vehicle (trailer) carrier. Launched 1 November 1974 at Chester, Pennsylvania, by the Sun SB & DD Co as hull no. 670 for the Puerto Rico Maritime Shipping Authority, San Juan, PR. 653.4 x 92.8 x 34.9; 14770 gt, 8928 nt. Two cylinder (HP/LP) steam turbine, built 1975 by General Electric Company, 30000 shp; twin water tube boilers, 27690 sq ft heating surface, built 1975 by Babcock & Wilcox Company. Lengthened and new midbody 1993 by Alabama Shipyard, Inc., Mobile, Alabama: 736.8 x 92 x 42.1; 17527 gt, 11399 nt. Sold 1991 to Totem Trailer Express, Inc., Seattle, and renamed Northern Lights. Sold 2006 to Sea Star Line LLC, Jacksonville, Florida, and renamed El Faro.

Here's what she looks like. I would not want to be on this vessel in a Cat 4 hurricane with no power and shipping water:

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/pho ... id=2093670
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

No propulsion, a list, no communication for 24 hours and old style open lifeboats. I'll stay optimistic, but it does not sound like a good situation to be in.

US flag El Faro missing off the Bahamas

Unread post by Guest »

From the USCG in Miami

COAST GUARD SEARCHING FOR CONTAINER SHIP CAUGHT IN HURRICANE JOAQUIN
MIAMI - Coast Guard search and rescue crews are searching for a container ship with 33 crewmembers aboard reported to be caught in Hurricane Joaquin, near Crooked Island, Bahamas.
The El Faro, a 735-foot ro-ro cargo ship, was en route to San Juan, Puerto Rico, from Jacksonville, Florida. At approximately 7:30 a.m. Thursday, watchstanders at the Coast Guard Atlantic Area command center in Portsmouth, Virginia, received an Inmarsat satellite notification stating the El Faro was beset by Hurricane Joaquin, had lost propulsion and had a 15-degree list. The crew reported the ship had previously taken on water, but that all flooding had been contained.
Watchstanders at the Coast Guard 7th District command center in Miami launched an HC-130 aircrew out of Clearwater, Florida, to search for the El Faro. At this time Coast Guard watchstanders and rescue crews have been unable to reestablish communications with the El Faro crew.
Two Air Force C-130 Hurricane Hunter aircrews attempted to locate and reestablish communications with the El Faro unsuccessfully Thursday. Coast Guard crews remain on scene and will continue search efforts Friday by both air and sea."