Henry B. Smith chadburn

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Ken Niemi

Re: Henry B. Smith chadburn

Unread post by Ken Niemi »

Cabinboy1, I don't know when they added the locking handle to some makes of Chadburns, but your typical one in 1913 looked like the one in the attached photo.
Attachments
m. Basement China Corner.jpg
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

The Engine room Chadburn on the Hydrus was in a 12 o'clock position pointing to nothing while the Chadburn on the bridge reads STAND BY. I wonder why the two are different.
cabinboy1

Unread post by cabinboy1 »

Most engine telegraph handles have a spring loaded locking latch for the handle to prevent uncalled for movement.

Unread post by Guest »

Pete in Holland MI wrote:I wouldn't assume that was the last position prior to sinking. The stress on the boat while sinking could have jerked & pulled the cables into an artifical position, along with anything falling on the handle.

Good point! It also appears in the pictures that several of the metal poles were bent back. Was this possibly from wave action or the force of the water going past as the ship plunged to the bottom? It looks to the unprofessional eye that their angle suggests a nose dive into the bottom. Has there been any release of a artist's rendering of the wreck?
Pete in Holland MI

Unread post by Pete in Holland MI »

I wouldn't assume that was the last position prior to sinking. The stress on the boat while sinking could have jerked & pulled the cables into an artifical position, along with anything falling on the handle.

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks. That's what I thought, but wanted to confirm my suspicions.

Unread post by Guest »

Looks like full ahead.
Attachments
700=170968-41Smith_HB_u1.jpg

Henry B. Smith chadburn

Unread post by Guest »

Does anyone know what position the chadburn of the Henry B. Smith was in following its discovery in 2013. I see it in the pictures posted on the internet but would like to know if its in the full ahead or full astern position.