Equinox class

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
tugboathunter

Re: Equinox class

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Interesting that Algoma never made any mention of this vessel or that they would try to acquire it. I bet it will be converted to a self-unloader before it heads to Canada.
Mac Mackay

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

The Canadian List of Shipping from Transport Canada initially registered the ship as CWB Strongfield January 20, 2015. Recently the name has changed to Algoma Strongfield. They do not give the date of the name change, but I first noticed in March 7.
Ownership is now shown as Algoma Central Corp.
Mac Mackay

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

The Equass website which culls info from Lloyds and other relaible sources shows that CWB Strongfield has been owned by G3 since Fabruary 1, 2017 and shows ACR as managers from the same date.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Some rather sketchy (or at least brief) internet reports, including this one, seem to imply that G3 Global Grain Group, or an agent for G3 may have purchased the CWB Strongfield for an undisclosed price from Yangzijiang Shipping.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... IA&cad=rja

I initially thought this was an incorrect report on the auction sale, but the auction had a well reported price, and this new report mentions G3 Global Grain Group. All previous references were to the CWB.

I guess time will tell if its coming to North America.
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Is G3 no longer going to get another boat?

Unread post by Guest »

Algoma Niagara launched Feb 16, 2017 at Yangzigiang Shipyard. This is first Equinox 740' self-unloader.
GL_Engineer

Unread post by GL_Engineer »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote: Algoma gave up any rights by demanding a refund of money paid.
Considering the Yangzigiang Shipyard is building 2 Self Unloaders for Algoma from I suspect the same plans and if G3 is no longer interested in the ship. Algoma could have made a deal with YANGZIJIANG INTERNATIONAL TRADING PTE.LTD, which is part of the same Corporation that owns the yard, to either bid on the Ship on their behalf with Algoma buying it from Yangzigiang as a bulker or converting it to a Self Unloader and selling it back to Algoma
Mel

Unread post by Mel »

If I was looking to update my fleet, I sure as heck wouldn't buy a laker built with cheap foreign steel in Aisa. There is nothing exciting about those things. Cheaply built, what a waste of money!! Been wanting to say that for years!
Pete in Holland MI

Unread post by Pete in Holland MI »

Designs are owned by who ever paid to have them done. If the customer paid to have their ship designed, then they own it. If they buy a ship "out of a catalog", then the designs would most likely NOT be theirs.

Works this way in industry.

Unread post by guest »

Former CWB Strongfield may have been purchased by YANGZIJIANG INTERNATIONAL TRADING PTE.LTD, which is affialiated with the Jiangsu Yangzigiang Yard that is building the 2- 740 self-unloaders now.

Auction Results listed YANGZIJIANG INTERNATIONAL TRADING PTE.LTD.

http://www.ecns.cn/cns-wire/2017/02-06/244200.shtml

Unread post by Guest »

I'm fascinated by what a Singaporean wants with a laker?

If I had $13,000,000 or so I'd have bid on it myself.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Link to the auction site for Hull # 152 from Mingde Heavy Industries (the CWB Strongfield). Its in Chinese, but does have 5 photos of the ship. I tried to find this previously, but kept getting redirected to the US version of the auction site Taobao, instead of the Chinese version. Putting this into Google translate implies this was the second attempt to sell the ship.

https://sf.taobao.com/sf_item/544530817 ... t.9.t2K7hS

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Who owns the design of the boat (intellectual property)? This may limit purchasers or result in scrapping. May be a reason for low auction price.
If you buy a Ford F-150, you don't own the design. There's no reason to scrap the vessel if a buyer can be found. Algoma gave up any rights by demanding a refund of money paid.

Unread post by Guest »

Who owns the design of the boat (intellectual property)? This may limit purchasers or result in scrapping. May be a reason for low auction price.

Unread post by Guest »

Did Algoma resource its remaining 740-foot Equinox vessels? All I remember hearing about is the construction of their two river class vessels.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

MattM wrote:I see in the satellite image the Strongfield tied up at the dock. There is another Lake bulker in the drydock unfinished. What was the name going to be for that one?
Its accommodation block appears to be sitting under the gantry crane. And I suspect many of those hull modules, at least the ones in primer, were for another laker. Blocks are set for another hull inside the drydock, so perhaps they were going to assemble it inside the drydock instead of on the adjacent launching ways where the first couple were built.
algowest

Unread post by algowest »

Name for that one under construction was going to be Algoma Conveyor, 1st of the 740' self-unloaders. ACC's naming plan for (4) now cancelled S-U's from Nantong Shipyard was:
ALGOMA CONVEYOR
ALGOMA SAULT
ALGOMA NIAGARA
HULL MD 161-SUL-07 (unnamed)
MattM

Unread post by MattM »

I see in the satellite image the Strongfield tied up at the dock. There is another Lake bulker in the drydock unfinished. What was the name going to be for that one?

Unread post by Guest »

Designed for lakes use, it seems to me that if a buyer cannot be found for the Equinox ships caught up in this mess they will probably be dismantled. I imagine it would be difficult, if not impossible, to adapt them for salt water use.