Lower Lakes and CSL

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Lower Lakes and CSL

Unread post by Denny »

What is the status of the some of these ships from the CSL fleet such as the Pineglen and the Spruceglen? I know both are laid-up with the Pineglen in Thunder Bay at Pierre Gagne Dock, while the Spruceglen is in Toronto. Both ran last season in 2015 although the Pineglen was a late season fit-out on the Grain runs. On the other hand, the Spruceglen I believe ran and then was in and out of layup if my memory is correct? Point is does anyone know if any of these two will run in 2016 and when they will sail? If any or both do sail, I suppose it may be in the Fall during the Grain Rush right? Any information is appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Is the Cedarglen having mechanical issues? When I checked AIS this morning it was near Alpena. Just checked AIS again and it's North of Harrisville showing a speed of 3 knots.

Unread post by Guest »

I believe that steel has bottomed out, but with imports still having an impact and atrocious business environment in the oil/gas drilling sector, it remains to be seen how strong/fast the recovery is.

Coal is being killed off by regulatory burden and costs that are pricing it out of the market. That market for Great Lakes shipping is going through a structural change, meaning industry can not rely on coal, especially thermal coal, for its existence. What that means for operators in the coming years, I don't wish to speculate.
frus

Unread post by frus »

the lakes trade is in turmoil with demand dropping across all sectors and operators rate cutting to keep market share.
I think we will see more ships going to scrap and more companies going under unless there is a real turnaround in the next couple of years.

Unread post by Guest »

Surprised to hear that the Ojibway is such a weak performer for them. She's in excellent shape and has been properly updated such as her modern power plant.

Too bad she doesn't have a self-unloading boom on her, since I assume that her relatively small size is a detriment to her success in the grain trade compared to Seawaymax vessels like the Kaministiqua.

I hope they hang on to her and the Manitoba. The Ojibway would probably be a good self-unloader candidate and be a better fit in the river trade than as a Seaway trader.

They were just about the only two ships regularly sailing the St. Lawrence last season that I'd go out of my way to see, with the other forward pilothouse survivors in the Canadian fleet never or rarely making a trip during 2015.

Thought they'd be safe bets for 2016 given how busy they were. :(
Newfie

Unread post by Newfie »

According to a crew member...the Salarium may not be fitting out at all and quiet possible it may be going to scrap.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Last I heard was that the CSL Assiniboine and the Paul J. Martin were both going to be fitting out and sailing this fall. I agree with you as well NiagaraMike as it looks to be that CSL will run some of their other laid-up vessels if things get busier this season possibly during the fall grain rush. I wonder if CSL plans to run both the Pineglen and the Spruceglen this fall during the grain rush season? Nothing has been said or mentioned so far on either of those two vessels yet. Also, Atlantic Huron is still in Les Mechins getting work done there as well. I see on the Port of Montreal website where the Salarium is due to fit-out about mid-April as well. The Frontenac and the CSL Tadoussac I also heard both of which will not run.
NiagaraMike

Unread post by NiagaraMike »

CSL has said only two ships will be retired this year.
That would be the Atlantic Erie and Oakglen it would seem.

The others will be mothballed till busier times or run as usual or as needed.

Unread post by Guest »

garbear wrote:
Guest wrote:Cedarglen is out, rumors are this is her final voyage.

Anyone have anymore info on that?
After unloading in Montreal I see this afternoon she's upbound the St. Lawrence at Ogdensburg showing a Thunder Bay destination.
Surprised to see that too. I thought she would never leave that spot in Montreal under her own power again.

Of course "final voyage" is rather vague. That could mean last trip, or could mean last season.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:Cedarglen is out, rumors are this is her final voyage.

After unloading in Montreal I see this afternoon she's upbound the St. Lawrence at Ogdensburg showing a Thunder Bay destination.
cslfan

Unread post by cslfan »

Latimer loading in Goderich

Unread post by Guest »

Cedarglen is out, rumors are this is her final voyage.

Unread post by Guest »

The Erie,Tad,Frontenac,oakglen are not going out this year and probably never I know the Erie is going to scrap the crew got told they are going to be placed on another ship as the positions come available though there are people already waiting from the Mapleglen and Birthglen so it could be awhile the Paul Martin will be out late along with the Salarium never heard about the Huron witch is in dry dock in Quebec as far as everything else it's wait and see what happens i will update if and when I hear anything else
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Wow that is an interesting list of vessels not due to sail this year from CSL and also late start ups as well from CSL. Thanks as I had forgotten about the CSL Tadoussac not sailing this year as she may likely be finished? This is off-subject but I thought that I had read here a few weeks ago, that CSL had acquired a contract with the ADM Dock in Windsor from Lower Lakes Towing? If this is true then what vessels would CSL use to carry the canola loads then to the ADM Dock in Windsor? Lower Lakes has used the Tecumseh mostly with the Kaministiqua on a few of those runs. Would CSL use the new ships from China or self-unloaders and could the SUs carry and unload canola? Sorry for so many questions and getting off the subject here, just curious is all if anyone else has heard about this?
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

I haven't heard anything to suggest that LLT will have any Canadian vessels at the wall this year. The Manistee will not run; she needs a 5-year. For CSL, the Frontenac, CSL Tadoussac, and Atlantic Erie are not expected to run. The Martin and Assiniboine likely won't be out until September. Look for the St-Laurent and Welland to be the only two CSL straight deckers to come out in Spring. I imagine if any others come out it would be the Spruceglen and Cedarglen in the Fall. Oakglen needs a survey and is likely finished.

Unread post by Guest »

The Manitoba won't be coming out this year & I've heard the Ojibway might not come out until the late summer.
lahey

Unread post by lahey »

Someone said Manitoba might not come out this year.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Another vessel from CSL with an uncertain future is Atlantic Erie as I have heard many different rumors on her. There was talk in 2015 that she was basically done and finished to where in late 2015 I also heard talk and rumors to where she could be repaired at some point and brought back into service? I don't know what to believe and what is true on her and its future? Guess we will just have to wait and see on her and what the future holds. I also thought that I seen and read on here a few weeks ago from another reporter and a different thread, that CSL had planned to only operate about 6 or 7 vessels this year. There was talk about the newer ships from China along with maybe like the Niagara, Martin and Laurentien sailing in 2016. They also mentioned the Assiniboine may be out late in the fall possibly. Again, we will just have to wait and see.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

There was talk on this forum and boards a while back about the Manistee laid-up in Toledo as possibly not sailing in 2016 and also the Frontenac laid-up in Goderich as not sailing in 2016. Those are the only two that I have heard from both Lower Lakes and also from CSL as well. BTW, Manistee is actually in the Grand River fleet so I don't get any feedback on this! Maybe someone else may know who else from Lower Lakes and CSL may be sitting at the wall this year? Hope that this information has helped some.
Newfie

Lower Lakes and CSL

Unread post by Newfie »

Anyone know which ships will be fitting out and which one will stay idle for now with Lower Lakes and CSL and which ones not coming out at all or going to scrap even?