Arthur M Anderson Length

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
standuffer

Re: Arthur M Anderson Length

Unread post by standuffer »

Al wrote:If you want to post your e-mail address, I'll gladly send you hi-res copies.
I would appreciate that very much. Thank you.
[email protected]
Al

Unread post by Al »

That one and the photo below are old US Steel publicity photos that I've scrounged from various places over the years.

This one shows the same three men along with Captain Chris H. Johnson and Chief Engineer Lawrence David.

If you want to post your e-mail address, I'll gladly send you hi-res copies.
Attachments
Callaway-trial-run-2-001.jpg
standuffer

Al wrote:R.C. Stanbrook on the right aboard the Cason J. Callaway on the morning of her trial run on Sept. 13, 1952. That's PSS President Donald Potts in the center and Charles Haskill, president of GLEW at left.
In regards to rivet vs. welding discussions held in this forum some time ago, notice the riveting in the lower left hand corner of this photo. It appears to be around the corners of the hatch comings and a few deck plates.

Al...
Where and how were you ever able to locate this photo?

TIA... John Stanbrook
standuffer

Yep.. that's grandpa Stanbrook, always with the bow tie. :o)
Al

Unread post by Al »

R.C. Stanbrook on the right aboard the Cason J. Callaway on the morning of her trial run on Sept. 13, 1952. That's PSS President Donald Potts in the center and Charles Haskill, president of GLEW at left.
Attachments
Stanbrook-on-Callaway.jpg
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

standuffer wrote:
garbear wrote:
standuffer wrote:Callaway was Better <<wink>>
I always heard everyone on the Anderson said they were the best:)
P.S. Standuffer, when were you on the Callaway?
I sailed on the Cason J. Callaway (deck hand & deck watch) from June 1971 through June 1972. In June of 1972, most of the 'homestead'-ed crew of the Callaway went to Lorain and fit-out the Roger Blough on her maiden voyage.

Shortly after graduating from high school, my grandfather, Reginald C. Stanbrook, former Chief Engineer of The Pittsburgh Steamship Co. (1942-1959?) with help from a Mr. Martin?, personnel director of the fleet in Cleveland, got me my Seaman's Card and a job sailing with USS Great Lakes Fleet. I was called to catch the Lamont, as a wiper, in Lorain but had insufficient time to make her departure. Four days later I was called on a Saturday morning and told to report to the Callaway, as a deck hand, in Gary IN, before her scheduled departure on Sunday at 1000 hrs. After a day or two of total 'culture shock' I settled into the day-by-day, up bound, down bound, day after day, life aboard a Great Lakes bulk freighter.
I also started sailing in 1971. Stayed on the Clarke thru 1978. Last year I sailed was on the Watson, 1979. Think personnel director was George Morgan. He was still personnel when they move the office to Duluth. It was John Young after George Morgan. I agree, it was a culture shock.
standuffer

garbear wrote:
I sailed on the Cason J. Callaway (deck hand & deck watch) from June 1971 through June 1972. In June of 1972, most of the 'homestead'-ed crew of the Callaway went to Lorain and fit-out the Roger Blough on her maiden voyage.

Shortly after graduating from high school, my grandfather, Reginald C. Stanbrook, former Chief Engineer of The Pittsburgh Steamship Co. (1942-1959?) with help from a Mr. Morgan, personnel director of the fleet in Cleveland, got me my Seaman's Card and a job sailing with USS Great Lakes Fleet. I was called to catch the Lamont, as a wiper, in Lorain but had insufficient time to make her departure. Four days later I was called on a Saturday morning and told to report to the Callaway, as a deck hand, in Gary IN, before her scheduled departure on Sunday at 1000 hrs. After a day or two of total 'culture shock' I settled into the day-by-day, up bound, down bound, day after day, life aboard a Great Lakes bulk freighter.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

standuffer

Callaway was Better <<wink>>
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

standuffer wrote:
garbear wrote:A good photo of the strapping.

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/ ... 80TM-2.jpg
Seems nice to see her with out the unloading gear,
Worked on the Clarke before and after lengthening and before boom. She was a good boat to work on.
standuffer

garbear wrote:A good photo of the strapping.

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/ ... 80TM-2.jpg
Seems nice to see her with out the unloading gear,
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Unread post by Guest »

Strapping is applied not only to deck outboard of the hatch-covers, but also to the bottom of the hull, too.
Ed

Unread post by Ed »

I recall in an interview with Capt. Bernie Copper of the Anderson after the sinking of the Fitz. The question was put to him about the strength of the Anderson or lack of strength because of being lengthened. I recall him saying that he believed the Anderson made it was because of the it was lengthened and made stronger. After that I talked to the guy who was the senior mechanical engineer for the U.S. Steel Great Lakes Fleet at the time and he agreed with Bernie, The engineer told me that when they lengthen a vessel they not only beef up the hull but also add additional steel strapping to the main deck. He said the ship is actually stronger after than before being lengthened.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Her conversion though to a self-unloader did not take place though until the early 1980s but, I know that most of us already knew that just adding to the thread with information here is all.

Unread post by Guest »

Yes. The Anderson had been lengthened in early 1975 to 767 feet.
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

She was lengthen in the spring of 1975 at Fraser Shipyards

Unread post by Guest »

The Anderson was 767 feet long at the time of the Fitzgerald storm. A 120-foot welded mid-section was added during the winter of '74-'75.

Arthur M Anderson Length

Unread post by Guest »

What was the length of the Anderson when the Fitzgerald sank?
Had she been lengthened yet?