island name

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
ed

Re: island name

Unread post by ed »

Thank you Mr Link. with your help, I have identified the island as c-63 on the gis site. it appears to be owned by either Sand Isle LLC or Focus Holding LLC. in either case, the connection to the Smith family ( of Chris Craft fame ) seems to have vanished. the island - once a swamp- now seems to have a value of between 250,000 - 450,000 dollars thanks to the efforts of the Corp. of Engineers who drained the swamp and elevated the ground level to it's present elevation in the late 50's.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Fawn Island - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawn_Island
Fawn Island is a small Canadian island located in the St. Clair River between ... Looking North The Island was later named Woodtick by Mr. Miller who owned the Island.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

I'm not sure which exact island you are referring to, since their are about 4 of them between Russell Island, and "mainland" Harsen's island. But they all appear to be privately owned.

Most Michigan counties have GIS-based maps so that you can look up property descriptions and owners (it may be required by law).
Go to: http://gis.stclaircounty.org/index.html and click on Parcel Viewer, or Parcel Viewer Update. Once you find the parcel you are looking for, click on Identify or Identity to bring up the legal description and owner.
ed

Unread post by ed »

The island is indeed 'Smith island' - after some research from 'old timers' in the Algonac area. it was called 'sand island' after it was built-up by the Corps. of Engineers in the late 50's. prior to this build-up, it was a swamp. now it is valuable land. seaway island was established when the Corps. of Engineers straightened out the shipping channel near Lake Saint Clair and is just south of an area called 'the flats'. my final question is - who owns this island which we called 'smith island' ? thanks to all for your help.
olde sparky

Unread post by olde sparky »

Would this be the Seaway Island that has a small area on the south west tip that has a border running through it at the north end of Lake St Clair? Small beach area is in U.S . Never been there but there is supposed to be a border marker there.

Unread post by Guest »

I grew up in Algonac during the 1980s and seem to recall some of the older residents also refer to it as "Smith Island."
northshorerie

Unread post by northshorerie »

It used to be called Seaway Island.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Flea-tick Island?
Don_Detloff

Unread post by Don_Detloff »

Sand Island.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

I don't see a name on it beside ODVS CABS on the chart, and no name on Google earth. Locals seem to think as it as part of Harsens.
ed

island name

Unread post by ed »

Does anyone know the name of the island just south of Russell island and just north of Harsens island. we once owned the last building, on the south most end of Russell island. in the late 1950's we would hunt frogs on this island at night. in the early 1960's the island sand was built-up by the Corps. Engineers - using the mud from the shipping channel. we called this island Smith island, as we believed it was owned by the Smith family - of Chris Craft fame. thanks in advance for any information.