Michigan and Michigan State 2016

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Mike

Re: Michigan and Michigan State 2016

Unread post by Mike »

Urban Meyer will be entitled to a large salary increase after Ohio State destroys U of M this season. Yup - he may even get a large insurance policy !
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Okay I checked out today the Michigan schedule along with ones from Michigan State and Ohio State as well. For those that say that Michigan has played a "Soft Schedule" this season there are five teams that Michigan did not play this season. Four of those are in the Big 10. The Wolverines did not play Minnesota, Nebraska along with Northwestern and Purdue. They also did not play Notre Dame either this year and in fact, the last time they play them was back in September 2014 when Brady Hoke was still their head coach. What happened in that game? Michigan got their butts kicked by the Irish 31-0 and I watched that game and said "I am never ever watching another UM game again period!" Well that was before they went out and hired Harbaugh to try and turn the program around which IMO he has done so far. Give this guy credit people as he has been a success wherever he has been both as a player and a coach. The Michigan program was heading downward and almost dead until Harbaugh brought new life and enthusiasm back into Michigan Football again. He is a former player and disciple if you will of former coach Bo and knows Bo's style. Harbaugh knows how to win and he has brought winning and chemistry back here!
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

I see the name of the thread, but I have to bring up that Ohio State beat #10 Nebraska by 59 points last night (Michigan beat unranked Maryland by 56). After looking downright punchless for three straight games, it looks like the Buckeyes figured out their offensive woes and then some. As a Buckeye fan, the last time I saw a game like that was when they beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big Ten Championship two years ago - and we all know what happened after that!

Ohio State goes on the road to face Maryland and MSU (trap game if you ask me) before coming back home and welcoming in U of M. If you're Harbaugh, do you start preparing for that game right now? The "style points" he's racking up with these big wins won't mean anything if he can't beat the Buckeyes.

Really though, how do you go from beating Northwestern by 4 to beating Nebraska by 59? Just boggles the mind.
Mike

Unread post by Mike »

Well I might have lost a few dollars on U of M this weekend but, I did NOT see anyone taking U of M BEFORE the game. I still have a winning record of 7 wins and 3 losses by taking M S U over U of M in the last 10 years - how did anyone else do over the last 10 years and - 1 win and 1 loss since 'over paid' harbaugh became coach. now for Denny and west - the 2 'after the game experts' -how bad will Ohio State win over U of M and 'if they make the playoffs', how bad will Clemson win over U of M ? after these two games - U of M will want re-think how much they are paying haubaugh and might even want to cancel his 2 million dollar insurance policy ! by the way - - did you see harbaugh's antics on the side lines when U of M failed to score ? 7 million dollars a year for this jerk is highway robbery !
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Wow am I glad I didn't take Mike's advice and take the points and Maryland this weekend! So I guess a 59-3 victory by Michigan then is not considered a rout and a blowout huh? Okay so what should I do then next weekend when the Maize and Blue travel to Iowa and take on the Hawkeyes? Maybe I should take the points and along with the Hawkeyes in that game? At 9-0 and the way that they are playing this season (Michigan) why would anyone want to bet and pick against them right now? Okay maybe we can talk about this later when they play Ohio State at the Horseshoe in a few weeks. With Michigan State dropping a close one in Illinois but yet now they have lost 7 straight games, I guess you can say that U of M still made a wise investment with that 7 million dollars that they paid to bring in Harbaugh. So, tell me people ah when was the last time U of M was 9-0 this late in the season? Was it with coaches Rich Rodriguez or Brady Hoke? Not, I don't think so as you have to go way back to 2006 when Lloyd Carr was their coach back then. My money is still on Michigan to go undefeated at least until they play Ohio State and then we will see what happens from there!
Mike

Unread post by Mike »

Maryland is a 30 + point underdog against U of M this weekend. this reinforces my belief that U of M has NOT played any team of note this year. want to make a few bucks - take Maryland and the points !
Mike

Unread post by Mike »

Michigan has only played 2 'quality' teams this year - Wisconsin 14-7 and M S U 32-32. Michigan a powerhouse - I think not ! And all this for only 7 million per year + perks. go figure.
tugboathunter

Michigan not a powerhouse team? Michigan's scores this year: 63-3, 51-14, 45-28, 49-10, 14-7 (against a Top Ten team), 78-0, 41-8, 32-23 (against their second biggest rival). If you have an easy schedule, then you shouldn't be playing close games, right? Well, there you go. Their opponents haven't been good, and Michigan has been absolutely wrecking them. It would be a different story if Michigan was undefeated and ranked #3 and had a bunch of 14 and 10 point wins. But they don't.

Look, I'm a huge Ohio State fan, and nothing pains me more than seeing Michigan back in the driver's seat in the Big Ten. But I can't deny what's obviously happening. Harbaugh's "recuriting circus" is working, like it or not, and Michigan is on the map again. Derek Jeter, Tom Brady, and others are coming to games and practices, and incredible athletes like Jabrill Peppers are coming to town, whereas they produced almost zero quality NFL talent during the Rodriguez and Hoke eras. Plus, most of those recruits haven't even arrived yet. Harbaugh has been winning with the same players that Brady Hoke had, and the results are shockingly different. If that doesn't speak to his skills as a coach then I don't know what does.
ed

Unread post by ed »

Now Mike you have to agree that it was entertaining last summer as we watched Harbaugh take his 'dog show' around the globe begging high school football players to play at Ann Arbor this year ! his 'frequent flyer miles' must have set a record. his expense account for this show must have set another record.
Mike

Unread post by Mike »

If you bet on M S U last weekend and took the 23 points - you made money, unlike those who bet on U of M. 32-23 is only a 9 point difference - for those U of M fans !
Mike

Unread post by Mike »

last year MSU beat both U of M AND Ohio State. plus - they won the big 10 title. meanwhile, in Ann Arbor, U of M - in total dis-repair- hires a coach from S.F. who was about to get fired and pays this guy 7 million dollars per year AND gives this guy a 2 million dollar life insurance policy. nope - you can't fix stupid !
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Probably MSU would have the same record they have now if they'd played that schedule. Now there's a real powerhouse!
Mike

Unread post by Mike »

I would NOT call U of M a 'powerhouse team'! they have had a cake walk schedule to this point in 2016. just look who they have played - mighty Hawaii, powerful UCF Knights, exciting Colorado Buffaloes, rebuilding Pen state, Wisconsin 14-7, strong Rutgers, weal Illinois, and MSU 32-23. ranked number 2 on this record - what a joke !
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I agree with you tugboathunter as my older brother once told me at least with MSU, that they lost a lot of people due to graduations this year and the fact that some of them probably were drafted by NFL teams as well. Those two issues will usually always hurt a team at one point or another. Haven't watch much College games as I am not a big College fan like I was when I was younger yet I still consider myself a huge Michigan fan as I have followed them since the 1980s and will continue following them. It really bugs me though when some want to make cracks and put down Harbaugh. Guess some just don't realize and appreciate some of the things he has done in only his second year with Michigan. He finally got the goat and monkey off his back this year so far by beating MSU on Saturday after the way they lost to them in 2015. Okay so he has not won the Big Ten title yet or beaten Ohio State. Just how many other NCAA teams other than Alabama, Clemson and Washington can claim to be undefeated and near the top? Michigan is 8-0 for the first time since 2006 and that was nothing that Brady Hoke or Rich Rodriguez who all but ruined UM Football could never do here!
tugboathunter

In regards to Mike's comments on the Big Ten schedule: I disagree. The Big Ten is currently as competitive as it has ever been in the past decade. Michigan is a legitimate top 4 team right now, and Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska are right behind them - all top ten teams in my opinion. Meanwhile, Indiana, Northwestern, Maryland, and Penn State are young and improving, and within a few years will be serious threats as well. These guys know how to play good, solid defense, and can run the ball with the best of them. Iowa and Michigan State have taken a couple steps backward after great seasons last year, but as MSU showed on Saturday, they are still competitive, and Dantonio and Ferentz are still great coaches who can't be counted out. Minnesota and Purdue seem to be somewhere in between, but have still played well against greater competition. In my opinion, Illinois and Rutgers are the only real "cake walks" in the conference right now, but it's only a matter of time before Lovie Smith and Chris Ash have them playing Big Ten football again.

Of course, Michigan's schedule has seen the bottom half so far, but their wins over Penn State and Wisconsin were both impressive, and they have Iowa and Ohio State ahead of them still.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I have now started a new thread about the Lions in 2016 so sorry to get off track and subject as this was originally a thread about the Michigan and Michigan State game for 2016. My point here is if anyone still has comments or anything to say on the Lions stuff, you can now check out the Lions 2016 post and post comments there so not to get this thread off subject and track. I just want to keep this thread and go back to mainly Michigan and MSU stuff so not to get off topic and subject here. Thanks.

Unread post by Guest »

Urban Meyer said it best -- when you take over a football program in total dis-repair ( such as the one at U of M ) -- 'anything' looks good.
Mike

Unread post by Mike »

Well, 7 million dollars bought U of M a win BUT, they DID NOT cover the 23 point spread and anyone betting on MSU and taking the 23 point spread won big ! so far this season U of M has only had one test - Wisconsin - 14-7. I've never seen a softer football schedule for U of M. the first 4 weeks of a big 10 schedule is a joke ! season ticket holders pay full price for games a high school team could beat.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Forgot to mention in my previous post and not much was said or shown on TV during the Michigan vs MSU game today but, with the win by the Wolverines "The Paul Bunyan Trophy" is now making its way back home to Ann Arbor. They have played for the trophy since 1953 I think it was said during the game today? Its too bad that Michigan doesn't play Minnesota this year as I love it when they play for "The Little Brown Jug!" I like all the trophies and the awards that teams play for in College Football but, not familiar with some of the trophies that they play for and the names. Guess I will have to do a search on that one. Too bad the NFL doesn't have any trophies and awards other than the Vince Lombardi one for the Super Bowl Winner. Sorry to get a bit off subject here. Go Blue!
AZ MEL

Unread post by AZ MEL »

Hey, it could be worse, Carson Palmer could be the Lions QB. I live amongst these crazy Cardinals fans, but once in a while I see and talk to a Lions fan and we say the same thing generations of Lions fans have said...."there's always next year". I have bled Honolulu blue and silver for 25 years and am sick of "there's always next year". It is an embarrassment to tell someone I am a die hard Lions fan.
Hey, if they don't make the playoffs, there's always next year. Aaargh!