Lions 2016

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: Lions 2016

Unread post by Denny »

Heard and read yesterday that Stafford dislocated a finger on his throwing hand and may now have to end up by wearing a glove for protection when he throws the ball? Wonder how well that will end up working for him as I don't know if he's ever used a glove in the past and how comfortable he is using one? The Lions next week travel to New York and play the Giants who beat the Cowboys last night 10-7 and have now beaten Dallas twice this season believe it or not. The Giants are 9-4 and in second place in the NFC East while the Lions are also 9-4 and in first place in the NFC North as well. Last three games for the Lions has them playing two road games at New York Giants and the Monday Night after Christmas at Dallas before finishing up at home with Green Bay. Also Lions are in first place in the NFC North with Minnesota and Green Bay both tied for second at 7-6 but, Green Bay has also won their last three games and play at Detroit on New Year's Day. Some people say if anybody can stop Detroit's run it could be the Packers since they've been on a bit of a roll as of late. Guess we will have to wait and see when they play on New Year's Day. Should be interesting to see what happens to the Lions in both New York and Dallas in the next two weeks? The last three games will really tell us just how good or bad the Lions really are this season. Also, the Lions have only had one win the playoffs back at home in the 1990s as I don't recall what year it was perhaps it was in 1991 or 1992?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well congrats again to the Lions as they pulled out another win at home today over da bears! They sure are surprising many people and their fans including this person as many never thought they would do this well this season. My brother did make a point though on their success this season and he thinks the main reason that the Lions are doing so well is the fact that Calvin Johnson retired after last season. Think about folks, when the Lions had CJ at receiver it seemed that he was the main go to guy if you will that Stafford always wanted to throw it to. Yeah okay there were others I am sure but, CJ was the one it seemed that everyone targeted and knew would be getting the ball. Point is, with CJ the Lions I think had two winning seasons where they made the playoffs and lost each time in the first round. Now without CJ it seems that lately at least, the Lions have gotten better. If you refresh your memory it happened like this once before after Barry Sanders retired a few years ago. The Lions struggled with Sanders and then once he retired, the next year or two they started to improve and I think they even made the playoffs. Point is, these superstar athletes such as Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson may be what part of the Lions' problems and success has been over the years with them? Guess we will just have to wait and see what happens next with the Lions this year. I also got their 2017 schedule as far as the teams that they will be playing and I will post that at another time.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

You don't know how good it felt to watch the Vikings/Lions game yesterday with my son, daughter and son-in-law. All 3 born and raised in MN and "dear old Dad"/Garbear born and raised in MI. I wasn't expecting to see my daughter and son-in-law until today, but they stopped at my apartment on their way up from the Twin Cities to my ex's place. My daughter stayed for the first half and my son and son-in-law stayed for the whole game. It felt good to be able to rub it into my Vikings fans. I don't like the Lions schedule for the rest of the season, but they've done better than I thought they'd do this year, so for one day it felt great!!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey garbear and others that read this post and sorry about all of you Cheesehead fans but, the Pack lost another one last night to the Redskins in D.C. and it looks like the Pack may be all finished and done this season. They sure do have their problems and issues lately and rumors have it that Coach Mike McCarthy could be on the way out of Cheeseland after this season! Coach Mac has not done anything to help the Pack other than Playoffs and he has only won one Super Bowl since being the HC for the Pack. Rogers sure has not been himself either this season. So now it appears to be just a two horse race for the North Division title right now between the Lions and the Vikes. Sorry to say to all fans and readers of this post but, if I wrong I will definitely be eating my words for saying this here. I predict that the Lions are long overdue to start to come apart at some point during the season as it seems to happen with most every team even the Patriots have lost twice and Dallas so far has lost only one game. I have said a few times that the Lions are vulnerable on the road and playing power teams and they still have to play the Saints, Giants and Cowboys which will not be easy and then they play the Pack here on New Year's Day and also play the Bears here at home also yet. So, I want to see first how they play the Vikes in the rematch on Turkey Day and then let's see what they can do on the road with the Saints, Giants and Cowboys!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Turkey Day game should really be a classic and now we will soon find out just how good each team really is! After they play on Turkey Day, the Lions still have a tough schedule yet with games on the road in New Orleans along with the New York Giants who are now starting to roll and the Dallas Cowboys. The two road games that I think will give them the most difficulty will be the ones against the Giants and especially the Cowboys. The game at Dallas is the Monday after Christmas so that should be a very interesting game to watch and see but, I am going to take a page from Mike and his College Football thread. Folks don't watch the Lions play the Cowboys the day after Christmas as that game will be ugly! If you have any shopping to do or returns to make do it the day after Christmas and don't waste your time watching the Lions get destroyed by the Cowboys. Take the Boys and the points in that game and you should make some extra bucks and be happy.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I would be the last guy to think the Lions Thanksgiving Day game would actually mean something. Surprise! Surprise! Stafford didn't throw a TD pass, but the defense played well and Ebron had a good game.
My Son was over for dinner as usual on Sundays, so we watched the Cards-Vikes game. Vikes defense had an outstanding game, so looking foreword to the "Turkey Day" game. Would love to see the Lions get the "W" because my Daughter and her Husband will be up from the Twin Cities, so it would give the "old Lions fan" a chance to gloat to the 3 Vikings fans.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Lions playing the Stamps in CFL western final.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Hoping the Lions can play well against the Jags. With Blake Bortles you can always count on him to throw an interception or two. Darius Slay is back today, so that should help.
I see the Vikes having a difficult time with the Cards. Tough defense and the Vikes offense is out of sync. Heard this morning that no team has ever started the season 5-0 and then lost their next 5 games. I know my son is having a hard time dealing with the Vikes losing streak. Oh, well, it builds character.
Finally, I see the Pack having as much trouble with Washington as the Vikings did. Hopefully another "L" for the Pack.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well for all you Lions fans and also fans of Matthew Stafford out there this weekend, "Beware of the Trap Game for this weekend!" The Lions play the lowly Jacksonville Jaguars at home on Sunday before the annual Thanksgiving Day game and rematch with the Minnesota Vikings for first place in the NFC North. The Lions will have play good but, be very careful not to get caught up and also off guard playing the Jags as this could be a dangerous game and a trap game for the Lions before they take on the Vikes at home in a rematch with them weeks ago. Sometimes in games like this where the Lions are predicted to beat a team like the Jags, they play their worst games and teams that they are expected to beat that is when they play and look the worst. Hopefully that will not happen this Sunday with the Lions but, you never know. Go Lions and Win!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey garbear, sorry to say but I guess your predictions about the Vikes having a tough time in D.C. with the Redskins on Sunday was right. The Vikes lost to the Redskins and have now dropped four straight sorry to say that and even worse now they've fallen out of first place and are tied for first with the Lions now holding the tie-breaker over them. Who'd have thought that now after 10 weeks of the NFL season, the Lions would be sitting at the top of the NFC North with sorry again garbear the Vikes and Packers now looking up to the Lions in the standings? The Pack have been just horrible as of late and rumors are floating around that the Pack may be in for a coaching change and that McCarthy may be out in GB after this season. Keep in mind that McCarthy has only won one Super Bowl as Packers coach and now Green Bay is below 500 for the first time since 2008 Rogers' first season with the Packers. Lions still have to play the Vikes here in Detroit on Turkey Day and now that will make for an interesting game. As I mentioned earlier in a previous post, their December schedule is brutal with games against the Saints, Giants and Cowboys. That Cowboys game will really be ugly and nasty the way they are playing this season!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Reading the Star Tribune this morning I see the Vikings are trying out several free agent kickers this week. I remember Walsh during his rookie year he couldn't miss. Don't think the Vikes will have an easy time playing Washington in D.C. next Sunday.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

The division is up for grabs: could be Lions, Vikings or Pack. Vikings are blaming Norv Turner for the two Vikings losses before he left; and the loss after he left against the Lions. The same sports talking heads said the Vikings were going to be a dynasty for the next five years after the first five games. I don't know who's the bigger idiot, them or me for listening to them.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well I agree in part tugboathunter but, the facts remain clear and I am not afraid to pin point that one! He has taken the Lions twice to the Playoffs and lost each time in the first round. The Lions and how many times do I need to address this and say this issue with them "Have yet to win the NFC North Division whereas all the other teams the Packers, Vikings and Bears have all at least once won the NFC North Division!" They are 5-4 and a half game out from first place and Yes, I know that they beat the Vikings on the road in Minnesota a tough environment. I give the Lions credit for them winning on the road and against Minnesota. However, look at the losses for them this year as they lost to Tennessee a team that they should have beaten 16-15 and then to the wholly Bears on the road in Chicago they lost to them 17-14 again another team that they should have beat. Then they lost to the Houston Texans on the road 20-13 after the Texans got trounced in Denver. So the Lions probably should have beat the Texans in that game. With the exception of the Tennessee home game, all of the losses that I had mentioned were road games. Lions still need to find ways to win on the road other than against Minnesota. They have three tough road games in December at New Orleans, New York Giants and also in Dallas on a Monday night after Christmas. Let's just wait and see then what the Lions can do along with the elite Matthew Stafford!
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Stafford doesn't actually play against other quarterbacks... the Lions defense does. It's hard for him to "beat" elite QBs when his defense can't stop them. Stafford is also much younger than all those guys you named. He has tons of time to build his already elite resume.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well I give Stafford and the Lions credit as they looked good today and got lucky with the Win on the road in Minnesota. I still do not believe sorry to say that he is an Elite QB yet! The Lions need to do more than just beat Minnesota on the road as they have to beat other teams on the Road such as the Packers and later this year in Dallas with the Cowboys. They also play at the Giants as well so we will see how that goes? The Lions need to find ways to win more on the road something that has been an issue with them for a very long time. Also, Stafford needs to beat some of the top QBs in the NFL as well. Ones like Brady, Rogers, Big Ben of Pittsburgh to name a few of them. The Lions need to find ways to dominate teams every year like the Packers have dominated Detroit over the years especially in Green Bay. They need to make Detroit a place that nobody wants to come into and play! Take some of stadiums and fans such as Seattle and KC where the crowd noise and level is incredibly loud to record levels. The Lions have never had that yet! Also, the Lions have yet to win the NFC North something that the Packers, Vikings and Bears have all done. Time will tell with them.
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Lions are now 1/2 game out of first place in the NFC North.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

It's tough being a Lions fan living in Duluth, but I had a chance to throw it back in my Sons' face today. He was texting back and forth to a buddy in the Twin Cities and they both ended up being disappointed today. Heck of a catch/run by Tate for the game winning TD. That game winning drive looked like an "Elite"(couldn't resist Denny) quarterback at the controls. Wasn't expecting the win, sure was great. Vikings have looked terrible the past 3 weeks. See what the rematch looks like on Thanksgiving!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Wow I cannot believe this and I must be dreaming this one so you had better pinch me to be sure of this! After checking my lineup on TV of NFL games today in the Detroit area I completely stunned on this one! After patiently waiting weeks for this the NFL has Finally put a truly good game on at 1 P.M. to compete with the Lions game in Minnesota today also at 1 P.M. on Fox. On CBS network the NFL decided to have the Steelers vs Ravens game on CBS TV today. All I can say to that is it is about time the NFL finally got with the program and put another 1 P.M. game on besides having the stupid and pathetic Lions on as the only early game each week. Now if only the NFL can keep on doing that schedule for the rest of the year, maybe I can see some teams that I haven't seen all year long so far. Next weekend the Lions "Finally have their bye week and it's about time!" So that means that next weekend we won't have any Lions to watch on TV and I can watch much more better games and teams play next week. Thank You NFL it's about time!
Mike

Unread post by Mike »

Kind of quiet on this thread BEFORE the Vikings game. I guess Denny and west are waiting until AFTER the game to give their views on this one !
ed

Unread post by ed »

Anyone seen Mary Ford as of late ? last I heard she was going to be more involved with the Lions but, i have not seen her all season.