NFL and College Football Schedules

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: NFL and College Football Schedules

Unread post by Denny »

Well although the Lions were on today and won, the NFL once again screwed me this weekend with not too many good and close games to watch. During the 1 p.m. timeslot today, the only game we had on TV in our area was the Bears vs Lions. I worked on our snow and then got tired and took a nap and missed the game with the Seahawks vs Packers but, judging by the score and the way that Rogers and Pack destroyed the Hawks it didn't appear that I missed much in that game. Last Thursday's night game as far as the Raiders vs Chiefs was a classic and perhaps one if not the best Thursday night game the NFL has ever had. My brother who roots for and is a huge Raiders fan said "It kind of and sort of stinks as that game should not have been on a Thursday night but rather on a Saturday or Sunday during the day time." When you have two fierce divisional foes like that, at night on a Thursday it screws up lots of people that have to get up for work and school and believe me when I say my brother does get up very early to go to work! What is a shame is that they have the Ravens and Steelers playing on Christmas Day yet they put the game on NFL Network which is bad. We only have one TV in our house with NFL Network and it is our living room and trust me on Christmas Day my Mom and the rest of us will not be watching that game! As we will be doing other things at that time of day as I am sure many people will. At least we will have the Chiefs and Broncos to watch later on Christmas Night on NBC thank goodness. Too bad NBC and ESPN networks don't do any coverage of the Week 17 games as it is all FOX and CBS Network that does those games that week. Should be a fun finish to the NFL season and the start of the Playoff run as well.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Denny: I remember when NFL games were on Saturday & Sunday (with 1 game on Thanksgiving). Then Howard Cosell brought Monday Nights to life.

Steve
Mike

Unread post by Mike »

N F L announced this week that London will host 4 games in 2017. sounds like the N F L is expanding on an international scale.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just read an article today that the NFL after the 2017 season may possibly be considering dropping the TNF Football game package either all together or else shortening it up and starting it instead from Thanksgiving Day on and having like a half season of those games. Geez, I can't believe it took the NFL this long to realize that maybe some folks out there have had enough NFL Football in one weeks' time and that the TNF games are a pathetic joke with not too many good teams playing. Okay before I get chewed out here, you have the Cowboys at Vikes this Thursday night. For the most part though, the TNF games rarely have any good teams and or matchups. Sort of like what I predicted once and said would end up happening as the NFL is "over marketing themselves and at some point it is going to come back and haunt them and bite big time!" Now I think they are starting to see it first hand with the drop in ratings and viewers. The NFL just needs to go back to the basics of having the Sunday games and the Monday games as that is what it used to be and fans are familiar with. We will see what happens!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thank Goodness garbear glad to see and hear that you and I can agree on something! Like what I said garbear and glad to see you agree too with me, "The Sunday slate does indeed Suck!" I hope that the NFL can do better on future scheduling than what they got for this Sunday's games! Too bad they don't have more of those so called "Flexible Scheduling Games" as they sure could use more of them. In fact, that is how and why you got the KC at Denver game Sunday night as they flexed that game to Sunday night because of the fact that second place is on the line for the winner in that game and will be behind Oakland in the standings for the AFC West race. Well I still have three more of my Fitzgerald videos to watch yet so maybe I can watch them Sunday for something to do and also two of my favorite DVD "Seasons and the Seas and one that KYS did a few years ago are two worth watching!" If you don't have either of these two DVDs, I highly recommend them especially the one called the Seasons and the Seas as that is my all time favorite to watch. Hope you had a nice and Happy Thanksgiving Day garbear!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

[quote="DennyI suppose that I am just wasting my time with this post as there is nobody that ever agrees with me anymore on whatever I post as far as Sports stuff. So, I will see if anyone is listening and reading this post this weekend and agrees with me which I am sure they won't be nothing new there. Anyway thanks NFL for giving us a great and slate of fairly decent NFL games on Turkey Day as far as the Lions and the Dallas game. The problem though is they sure didn't do us no favors on Sunday other than one good game and that is the night game with Kansas City at Denver. Hey Ohio State Mike or Sparty Mike whichever team you root for that is if he was to ever read this! Boatnerds, save yourself the time on Sunday as there isn't any NFL games worth watching IMO anyway! You all would be better off doing your Holiday Shopping or putting up your decorations or baking than to watch any sissy NFL games for this weekend at least. And then the NFL wonders why they are losing viewers and TV audiences! Get real people look at this Sunday's games and matchups and team records and you get my point![/quote]

Denny-To put it bluntly, the Sunday slate SUCKS!!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I suppose that I am just wasting my time with this post as there is nobody that ever agrees with me anymore on whatever I post as far as Sports stuff. So, I will see if anyone is listening and reading this post this weekend and agrees with me which I am sure they won't be nothing new there. Anyway thanks NFL for giving us a great and slate of fairly decent NFL games on Turkey Day as far as the Lions and the Dallas game. The problem though is they sure didn't do us no favors on Sunday other than one good game and that is the night game with Kansas City at Denver. Hey Ohio State Mike or Sparty Mike whichever team you root for that is if he was to ever read this! Boatnerds, save yourself the time on Sunday as there isn't any NFL games worth watching IMO anyway! You all would be better off doing your Holiday Shopping or putting up your decorations or baking than to watch any sissy NFL games for this weekend at least. And then the NFL wonders why they are losing viewers and TV audiences! Get real people look at this Sunday's games and matchups and team records and you get my point!
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

You make a great point about the altitude in Mexico City. Obviously football is a very demanding sport that is more difficult to play for long periods of time in thinner air. They mentioned during the game that Mexico City is a good bit higher above sea level than Denver, and I know that playing in Denver already causes problems for some players. Ryan Clark, who played free safety for the Steelers in the 2000s, couldn't play in Denver because of a medical condition. I'm sure there are others who would have trouble playing in Mexico City as well.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well tugboathunter as I mentioned in my earlier post, it appears that the NCAA will indeed be trying some Friday night games for next season as I know I seen and read that MSU Spartans will be involved in one of them and I don't know who else? All I know is that Michigan and I think Ohio State said "No Way" to the Friday night contests which I am glad to see and hear. I agree with you 100% as Friday night games were meant to be for High Schools and not Pros or Colleges. Also, I am totally against the TNF games as the lower grades of your High Schools mainly the JV teams play on Thursday nights. My brother said "If you want to have TNF games fine but, put them on toward the end of the season when teams are battling and fighting for the playoffs and don't put so many of them on TV as they have lately!" He also said "With all of the TNF games when does a person have the time to do what they want to do?" I am also glad that we agree on the London games as to me that is a mere joke IMO! To think also, the NFL talks about having a Super Bowl there someday and a permanent team also! Get real and give me a break already, I mean c-mon who can afford to travel over there and watch a game much less the SB if it ever happens? Trust me on this one as you would have such a fan revolt due to the time difference the NFL wouldn't know what hit them and to think they are losing viewers now! Just wait if they ever tried the Super Bowl in London as it would never work there! Last word on the Mexico game, the Texans sent warnings to their players about the food and water down there and other dangers as well while the Raiders did not send out notices. Also heard that the air and altitude in that game is not very good either for each team.
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

I see where you're coming from. I would really be upset if the Big Ten started playing Friday Night games. Friday night is reserved for high school games in my book. There's no need to not play on Saturday.

The NFL has been playing the TNF series for several years now, and I don't really mind it. It's nice to have football sometime between Monday and Sunday. I don't know if the teams and players like it, but I have no problem.

I don't really like the games in London. It creates a time zone problem for the teams, and they don't send good teams over there because of that. They seem to be well-received by the fans, however. I like the idea of playing in Mexico City, because it doesn't have the time problem and there are certainly more American football fans in Mexico.
Denny

NFL and College Football Schedules

Unread post by Denny »

Hi everyone just wanting to start a new thread here and get your opinions on something. The NFL lately has been expanding their product to include more international games and Thursday night games and the NCAA wants to have some Friday night games even though schools like Michigan and possibly Ohio State have objected to the idea. First let's start with the NFL as I am sure that I am not the only one that agrees haven't we had enough NFL games on this season? I am so sick and tired of these Thursday night games this year that I think it's a joke! They need to go back to just the way it once was with Sunday and Monday night games and Thanksgiving Day as well. This Thursday night package of games just stinks IMO and all of these international games in London and now in Mexico is even more a joke! They say that these are home games even though they really are not for teams. I think that if the NFL keeps up with these Thursday night games and international games that they will eventually lose their viewers if they haven't already and TV ratings are indeed dropping folks for the NFL for several reasons and I think too much NFL especially the Thursday games is a lot to do with it. Just curious how you feel about this and agree with me?