Fort St in Manistee

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
garbear

Re: Fort St in Manistee

Unread post by garbear »

Firedigger wrote:I vaguely remember Kaap's Nursery. I associate Kaap's more with Kaap's Stables in Parkdale where we would go horseback riding when I was a kid.
That was my Mom's cousin Harold who owned Kaap's Stables.
Firedigger

Unread post by Firedigger »

I vaguely remember Kaap's Nursery. I associate Kaap's more with Kaap's Stables in Parkdale where we would go horseback riding when I was a kid.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

This would have been my great grandfather. I have no idea where his parents are buried or know their names. My grandmother passed away 50 years ago in March, so I really didn't learn a lot about her family and my mom never said a lot either.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.c ... d=32002161&
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Bookworm wrote:Garbear,

Do you know if any of her family were among the Knuth's who survived the Oscoda/AuSable, MI fire of 1911? I have been reading the history of that major event and the name Knuth (specifically Raymond and Johanna) are mentioned in several reprints of articles and recollections of other former residents.
I wish I could be of some assistance, but I can't. My Mom was the last of her family, and she passed away in 2002. All the rest of her family passed before her.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Garbear,

Do you know if any of her family were among the Knuth's who survived the Oscoda/AuSable, MI fire of 1911? I have been reading the history of that major event and the name Knuth (specifically Raymond and Johanna) are mentioned in several reprints of articles and recollections of other former residents.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Firedigger wrote:Garbear, what was your grandmother's name?
Her maiden name was Knuth. She had 3 sisters and a brother.
Firedigger

Unread post by Firedigger »

Garbear, what was your grandmother's name?
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Kosciusko Street kid wrote:Garbear, you must be referring to the 'new' US-31, built in the '50s. When I was growing up on Kosciusko Street, that was US-31. It ran through what was known as Maxwelltown, along Vine Street, 8th, Kosciusko, 5th, Sibben, 1st, and down to the Memorial bridge. I lived near Morton Salt and would go down to the coal docks to watch boats unload coal.
Wow, Kosciusko Street kid, you must be old;) Didn't know there was an "old 31" and I'm 64. My grandmother(my mom's mother) was born and raised in Manistee. Think she grew up somewhere near Guardian Angels. We used to go to Manistee a lot because Grandma had a sister and her husband that lived in Parkdale. They owned Kaap's Nursery. Many years removed from Michigan, but remember a lot of good times growing up there.
Kosciusko Street kid

Unread post by Kosciusko Street kid »

Garbear, you must be referring to the 'new' US-31, built in the '50s. When I was growing up on Kosciusko Street, that was US-31. It ran through what was known as Maxwelltown, along Vine Street, 8th, Kosciusko, 5th, Sibben, 1st, and down to the Memorial bridge. I lived near Morton Salt and would go down to the coal docks to watch boats unload coal.

Unread post by Guest »

garbear wrote:
Guest wrote:Hi, does anyone know where Fort St is/was in Manistee? I guess it's the location of the old Mercy Sanitarium. My best guess is it's now where the "old" Hospital now "Best Drug" is behind the Glenns/Family Fare and the street was renamed. I'm guessing Garbear may know.
Growing up in the area I never knew what the street was named. Drove by Mercy Hospital a lot as a kid on US 31. I did some investigating and you are correct. That is Fort St. Guess you do learn something new every day. Hope my 2 cents worth helped.
Do you have any idea when the current building was built.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:Hi, does anyone know where Fort St is/was in Manistee? I guess it's the location of the old Mercy Sanitarium. My best guess is it's now where the "old" Hospital now "Best Drug" is behind the Glenns/Family Fare and the street was renamed. I'm guessing Garbear may know.
Growing up in the area I never knew what the street was named. Drove by Mercy Hospital a lot as a kid on US 31. I did some investigating and you are correct. That is Fort St. Guess you do learn something new every day. Hope my 2 cents worth helped.

Fort St in Manistee

Unread post by Guest »

Hi, does anyone know where Fort St is/was in Manistee? I guess it's the location of the old Mercy Sanitarium. My best guess is it's now where the "old" Hospital now "Best Drug" is behind the Glenns/Family Fare and the street was renamed. I'm guessing Garbear may know.