Border regulations for boaters

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Jared

Re: Border regulations for boaters

Unread post by Jared »

I cross the border frequently in the rivers and the lakes and not once have had a problem. I've been less than 5 yards from the Candian shoreline and have not encountered any problems. The St. Clair river is more lax than let's say the Detroit or St. Lawrence. There is a understanding that these are international waterways and giving boaters a hard time won't benefit anyone. I work as a marine deputy and we have a great relationship with our Canadian counterparts.
Mike

Re: Border regulations for boaters

Unread post by Mike »

Now that you need a Nexus card to travel between the U S and Canada waterways I think I have found a new business to open during the Saint Clair river 'float down' which is an annual event in the Port Huron area. most swim suites do not have pockets and therefore no place to store a Nexus card while swimming or floating down the river. I see a need for a card 'holder' and perhaps a cloth strip which would go around your neck to secure the card 'holder' and the required card. with a bit of advertising my idea could be worth millions !

Border regulations for boaters

Unread post by Guest »

Reading the news report about boating on the Detroit River got me thinking about how these border rules apply in the St. Clair River. I used to have a boat many years ago and would take pictures of ships transiting the river and those at docks in Michigan and Ontario. We knew to never land on the Canadian shore but we never had any issues in the river including going up into the bay at Point Edward where they lay ships up. On several occasions I would come across both coast guards and the sheriff boats but was never stopped or warned off. Other than estimating it at being about halfway across, it seems it would be hard to know right were the border lies in the river. Has this gotten a lot more restrictive? Perhaps this is why there seems to be a lot less close up pictures of ships in operation or at docks. I ask because I thinking about buying another boat after not having one for 15 years but if I'm going to run into a bunch of hassles I don't think I will buy one.