Mixed message

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: Mixed message

Unread post by Bookworm »

Guest wrote:Calcite lookout closes for the winter.
Glad to know that. Thanks!

Re: Mixed message

Unread post by Guest »

Calcite lookout closes for the winter.
Bookworm

Mixed message

Unread post by Bookworm »

Since leaving the St. Clair River, my sightings of ships have been limited to one close enough for a good shot (but I didn't have my camera with me); two on the horizon; one in a fog bank with only the top of the pilot house showing (it was sunny and clear from shore to where she was); and the mast lights of a 1,000 footer on the horizon.
So, when I discovered LAT would be at Calcite today, I decided to try for a more close-up and personal experience.
Maybe 10 years ago, I came across the Calcite facility (on my way back from the Soo) and was delighted there was a public access drive and parking area where one could observe ships at anchor or in the loading area. That day Buffalo was loading and Dorothy Ann was waiting her turn in the anchorage.
Well, times sure do change, but I did get to see LAT closer than I have here. She had been at Calcite for about 5 hours and I waited another 6 but she still hadn't left when I had to head home. That happened two hours later!
Attachments
I remember this friendly sign from my first visit.
I remember this friendly sign from my first visit.
I'm part of the public and its daylight, so what's the problem? There are mountains of dirt piled up to obstruct any possibility of a good view.
I'm part of the public and its daylight, so what's the problem? There are mountains of dirt piled up to obstruct any possibility of a good view.
My view of LAT from the city park.  Her stack and boom are just ahead of the white storage tank.
My view of LAT from the city park. Her stack and boom are just ahead of the white storage tank.
The Lexington, a fun model.  So what is it doing in Rogers City instead of Lexington?
The Lexington, a fun model. So what is it doing in Rogers City instead of Lexington?
Morning rains moved out and sunny skies replaced them.  It was 48° when I got there and 70° by mid-afternoon!
Morning rains moved out and sunny skies replaced them. It was 48° when I got there and 70° by mid-afternoon!
Large rock break wall.
Large rock break wall.
Beach, Lake Huron, and Calcite to the right.  Rain clouds were moving in on strong, chilly winds.
Beach, Lake Huron, and Calcite to the right. Rain clouds were moving in on strong, chilly winds.