What is April 14 Mariner Day & Anniversary Day

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)

Re: What is April 14 Mariner Day & Anniversary Day

Unread post by Guest »

I'm eagerly looking forward to them Denny!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

After giving this much thought and I do mean plenty of thinking and discussing this with family and others, I have decided that I will re-consider and bring back the stories once again to all of you that have been following them. I do apologize though for rambling off like that last week as these have not been the best and greatest of times for me in the past 5 years and it is very frustrating along with aggitating and disappointing for me as far as not making it out to the St. Clair River and also going up north to the Soo as well. But not too worry as the stories are indeed coming back and if you all thought that the first two were something, you haven't seen or read the best of them yet! I got some that will make you laugh so hard you will be busting at the themes and may even have a cry or two as well. As for what the stories are and about, "That is for me to know and for you all to find out!" C-mon boatnerds got to wait and be patient as that is the fun in doing all of these stories here.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Denny, I rarely get responses from people viewing my photos. The number of views shows how well they are received, and sometimes I scratch my head when one posting gets hundreds and another gets less. Which ship or angle/close-up made the difference? I'll never know, but people are interested and sharing the link and that's what matters.
Boatnerds are interested in reading what you write, Denny. Your unique perspective on events and experiences speaks to the heart of the reader. Don't give up simply because you don't get responses. The "views" show your stories are being read.

Unread post by Guest »

But I want to read about you chasing the Happy Birthday J.W. McGiffin sign down the boardwalk at Port Huron.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Sorry to say for now at least I've suspended the stories as again I just don't see enough interest in them or the photos to keep this going for now anyway. I've tried to put my very first story on to the main page of the Discussion Board but, it was moved over to the Regional Page instead so can't fault me for that as I tried to put it on the main page. No one has ever contacted me and asked me to send my photos to any websites so that's part of the reasons as to why you don't see them much. Just a shame because I've done digital now for over 10 years and only had my photo in the KYS book once. The only way things are gonna change is I have to get back to the top as far as boatwatching is concerned and I just don't see that happening for this year at least. Hopefully in 2018!

Unread post by Guest »

Perhaps you should share it on the main Information Search board, Dennys, as that sees much more traffic.
RW

Unread post by RW »

Denny,

Please don't discontinue sending in your stories. I've enjoyed them both very much. You should send photos in to the news page as well because I'm sure people would appreciate them!
ray2

Unread post by ray2 »

alwayboats glad to read stories of appenings on the lakes and work happenings keepthem up
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Guest for kind words and thoughts regarding my stories however, I am considering withdrawing the offer and discontinuing them as I just don't believe there is enough interest out there on my stories! I am disappointed that there has not been more replies from boatnerds about them as the last two stories I spent much time working on them, editing them and preparing them before I sent them to boatnerd. So far, there has only been two replies for each story yet on the first one more than 500 people have viewed and read it and almost 200 for the second story. Maybe if this was Winter time I would get more replies on them who knows? That is why I also never send my photos here as I just don't think there is enough folks that would be interested in them especially now that you have the KYS facebook page and No Way am I going to sign up for that and post my photos there as I just don't believe in giving out my Email and personal information. Glad you liked my stories.

Unread post by Guest »

Denny,

I for one amore enjoying your stories very much. Please keep them coming!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

To add to this story also, coincidence or not? I find it interesting as well that each time I make it to the river on April 14th there almost always seems to be an Interlake Steamship vessel on the St. Clair River either upbound or downbound. I have solid proof for those who doubt me! Take for instance in 1994 the James R. Barker was upbound that day and in 2010 she was downbound that day also on the St. Clair River.

Unread post by Guest »

Another great story! Keep them coming Denny!
Denny

What is April 14 Mariner Day & Anniversary Day

Unread post by Denny »

Okay everyone here is my next story for all of you to read and to enjoy as well. Hope that everyone enjoyed and appreciated my very first story that I had as this one is sure to be just as good as the first one I did. The title for this story will be called "What is April 14 Mariner Day & Anniversary Day?" In the beginning I did not even have a real name for April 14, 1992 untl many years after it had taken place. Why I came up with those two titles for the April 14, 1992 date is because this is the date to which I finally got to the top of the boatnerd mountain and where I became what I call a boatnerd and boatwatcher. It was on April 14, 1992 that I started out on a journey to the St. Clair River on my own for the very first time and not knowing what to expect and what I would find. At the time I was only a 19 year kid going on 20 and had lots of learning to do yet! However, when I pulled into St. Clair on that cold Spring morning and glanced downriver to see if there were any ships coming, "Who of all ships would it be?" I could not even begin to believe it myself and they say you never forget something you see or do for the first time. Sure enough this was something that I would never forget and remember for the rest of my life as the very first ship I saw on April 14, 1992 was none other than the Paul R. Tregurtha believe it or not coming upbound after it had just unloaded coal at the St. Clair Power Plant. They saw me and gave me a couple of salutes that cold Spring morning and a legend then was born and created IMO! Since then, April 14th has always been a special day for me as I have made it out there on 6 ocassions to watch the ship traffic 5 times alone just in the 1990s and believe it or not in 1997 when I was there on April 14 who else would I see other than the Paul R. Tregurha the same exact way it was back on April 14, 1992. Coincidence you say? I think not as it was meant to be I guess you could say. Even if I don't make it out to the river to boatwatch on April 14, I try to at least get to St. Clair and get my copies of the KYS book every year to at least remember that day! And so that is how I got started 25 years ago out on the river all.