What to my wondering eyes...

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: What to my wondering eyes..

Unread post by Bookworm »

See photo below:
Attachments
Retirement.jpg
Bookworm

A delightfully full day of river traffic, including American Century!
Attachments
Manitowoc (Stoneport) easily caught up and passed Salvage Monarch below Marysville.
Manitowoc (Stoneport) easily caught up and passed Salvage Monarch below Marysville.
Tug Salvage Monarch (Sault Ste. Marie) and tug off Stag Island.
Tug Salvage Monarch (Sault Ste. Marie) and tug off Stag Island.
Hilke (Gaspe, ON, Canada) at the Junction Buoy.
Hilke (Gaspe, ON, Canada) at the Junction Buoy.
Algoma Buffalo (Goderich) approaching Marysville. She stopped for a fill-up at the Corunna/Shell Fuel Dock.
Algoma Buffalo (Goderich) approaching Marysville. She stopped for a fill-up at the Corunna/Shell Fuel Dock.
Late afternoon sun reflects off Edwin H. Gott (Two Harbors) entering Chemical Valley.
Late afternoon sun reflects off Edwin H. Gott (Two Harbors) entering Chemical Valley.
Saginaw ("Serpent Harbor") up-bound at St. Clair.
Saginaw ("Serpent Harbor") up-bound at St. Clair.
Mississagi (Toledo) down-bound at St. Clair.
Mississagi (Toledo) down-bound at St. Clair.
Fleet Mates meet and greet with an exchange of salutes.
Fleet Mates meet and greet with an exchange of salutes.
American Century (Superior) in the rosy glow of sunset, off Stag Island.
American Century (Superior) in the rosy glow of sunset, off Stag Island.
Bookworm

The morning started with sunshine here but a band of rain moved in to the west and north of the river, and for 10-15 minutes there was a constant rumble of thunder -- something I learned to associate with severe weather when living in OK and KS -- and since I couldn't see the lightening, I played it safe and stayed in. When that cell moved out, others came more quietly, in waves with heavy rain, throughout the day.
Attachments
Tug/Barge Presque Isle (Two Harbors) above Marysville under clear early morning skies.
Tug/Barge Presque Isle (Two Harbors) above Marysville under clear early morning skies.
Following saltie Tundra (formerly Eider) on AIS, it appeared, from weather radar, that she was in continuous heavy rain from at least Port Sanilac to the Blue Water Bridges and beyond.
Following saltie Tundra (formerly Eider) on AIS, it appeared, from weather radar, that she was in continuous heavy rain from at least Port Sanilac to the Blue Water Bridges and beyond.
Finally out of the incessant rains below Marysville, Tundra moves on down river with a final destination of San Juan, Puerto Rico .
Finally out of the incessant rains below Marysville, Tundra moves on down river with a final destination of San Juan, Puerto Rico .
Tug Victory and barge Maumee (Sault Ste Marie) sounded a salute opposite Stag Island.
Tug Victory and barge Maumee (Sault Ste Marie) sounded a salute opposite Stag Island.
My first ever sighting of saltie Spiekeroog loaded with windmill parts for Bay City.
My first ever sighting of saltie Spiekeroog loaded with windmill parts for Bay City.
Bookworm

The delightfully cool and less humid weather is about to change, with rain through tomorrow.
Attachments
Saltie Gdansk (destination uncertain) ferrying one of many cargoes of wind turbine blades up the St. Clair River, the last few months.
Saltie Gdansk (destination uncertain) ferrying one of many cargoes of wind turbine blades up the St. Clair River, the last few months.
Manitowoc caught me by surprise as I watched her slow at Marysville and shift toward the Bluewater Aggregates dock. Drove on up river to get this shot. Note the work boat near her stern.
Manitowoc caught me by surprise as I watched her slow at Marysville and shift toward the Bluewater Aggregates dock. Drove on up river to get this shot. Note the work boat near her stern.
Saltie Josef (Duluth) passing Marine City loaded with wind turbine tower sections.
Saltie Josef (Duluth) passing Marine City loaded with wind turbine tower sections.
Tanker Algoscotia (Sarnia) at Marine City.
Tanker Algoscotia (Sarnia) at Marine City.
Algoma Niagara (Goderich) slowly moving toward the Corunna/Shell Fuel Dock.
Algoma Niagara (Goderich) slowly moving toward the Corunna/Shell Fuel Dock.
Bookworm

Even I was surprised at how much St. Clair River traffic I captured in a week's time! I'll not be at the river today but tomorrow begins a new month.
Attachments
John G. Munson (Fairport) still going strong at 68-years old!
John G. Munson (Fairport) still going strong at 68-years old!
Saltie Iryda (Montreal) with a long trans-Atlantic journey ahead.
Saltie Iryda (Montreal) with a long trans-Atlantic journey ahead.
Mississagi (Sombra) at Stag Island on a nearly perfect afternoon.
Mississagi (Sombra) at Stag Island on a nearly perfect afternoon.
Algoma Guardian (Hamilton) passing the Junction Buoy.
Algoma Guardian (Hamilton) passing the Junction Buoy.
Tanker Algonorth in Chemical Valley, headed to the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Tanker Algonorth in Chemical Valley, headed to the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Whitefish Bay (Thunder Bay) spotlighted by late afternoon sun.
Whitefish Bay (Thunder Bay) spotlighted by late afternoon sun.
Great Republic (Detroit) surrounded by twilight colors, approaches the Bluewater Bridges.<br />She made a quick turn-around was already up-bound to Stoneport late yesterday.
Great Republic (Detroit) surrounded by twilight colors, approaches the Bluewater Bridges.
She made a quick turn-around was already up-bound to Stoneport late yesterday.
Saltie Hilke, with windmill blades for Bay City, above Marysville.
Saltie Hilke, with windmill blades for Bay City, above Marysville.
Saltie Federal Churchill (Burns Harbor) disrupts a morning gathering of geese at Marysville.
Saltie Federal Churchill (Burns Harbor) disrupts a morning gathering of geese at Marysville.
American Integrity (Superior) drew jet skiers like ants at a picnic!
American Integrity (Superior) drew jet skiers like ants at a picnic!
Hong Kong flagged saltie Zea Servant (Bay City) at Marysville.
Hong Kong flagged saltie Zea Servant (Bay City) at Marysville.
Bookworm

Since these were photographed fairly recently, I'll include the known destinations.
Attachments
Great Lakes Maritime Academy's training ship State of Michigan, just before the rains came.
Great Lakes Maritime Academy's training ship State of Michigan, just before the rains came.
Maybe 15 minutes later, State of Michigan emerges into sunlight.
Maybe 15 minutes later, State of Michigan emerges into sunlight.
When clouds began breaking up to the west, this rainbow &quot;finger&quot; appeared, drawing people in off the road to enjoy and photograph it!
When clouds began breaking up to the west, this rainbow "finger" appeared, drawing people in off the road to enjoy and photograph it!
Tug Undaunted and barge Pere Marquette 41 on their way to Alpena.
Tug Undaunted and barge Pere Marquette 41 on their way to Alpena.
Manitoulin (Bruce Mines) comes out of the big curve above Marysville.
Manitoulin (Bruce Mines) comes out of the big curve above Marysville.
Formerly known as Algoville, Tim S. Dool (Thunder Bay) at Marysville.
Formerly known as Algoville, Tim S. Dool (Thunder Bay) at Marysville.
Bookworm

A good mix of vessel types in this two-day collection.
Attachments
Saltie Lake St. Clair reflected in the St. Clair River on an increasingly humid morning.
Saltie Lake St. Clair reflected in the St. Clair River on an increasingly humid morning.
The Rt. Hon. Paul J. Martin at Sarnia's Government Dock.
The Rt. Hon. Paul J. Martin at Sarnia's Government Dock.
Saltie Happy Ranger heading out onto Lake Huron.
Saltie Happy Ranger heading out onto Lake Huron.
Tug John Marshall and barge at St. Clair.
Tug John Marshall and barge at St. Clair.
Algoma Harvester entering Chemical Valley.
Algoma Harvester entering Chemical Valley.
G3 Marquis below Marysville.
G3 Marquis below Marysville.
Mesabi Miner slowing to pull off for fuel at the Corunna/Shell Dock. Nice surprise for me. Can't remember the last time I saw an Interlake ship there.
Mesabi Miner slowing to pull off for fuel at the Corunna/Shell Dock. Nice surprise for me. Can't remember the last time I saw an Interlake ship there.
Tanker Algocanada down-bound at Marysville.
Tanker Algocanada down-bound at Marysville.
Bookworm

Some unusual sightings on the St. Clair River in this group.
Attachments
This little vessel was slowly tracking back-and-forth across the river the entire time I was there.
This little vessel was slowly tracking back-and-forth across the river the entire time I was there.
Eliza Grace zipping into the St. Clair River towing a sailboat at a speed likely never before imagined by its skipper!
Eliza Grace zipping into the St. Clair River towing a sailboat at a speed likely never before imagined by its skipper!
Eliza Grace Towboat US (home port Port Sanilac).
Eliza Grace Towboat US (home port Port Sanilac).
Saltie Happy Rover down-bound after delivering windmill blades.
Saltie Happy Rover down-bound after delivering windmill blades.
Tug Sarah Andrie and barge A-330.
Tug Sarah Andrie and barge A-330.
Tug Sarah Andrie.
Tug Sarah Andrie.
Dorothy Ann &amp; Pathfinder down-bound above Marysville.
Dorothy Ann & Pathfinder down-bound above Marysville.
Tadoussac up-bound in choppy water.
Tadoussac up-bound in choppy water.
Tadoussac stern
Tadoussac stern
Tug Pride headed home to Sarnia. As a toddler living near the Choptank River (MD), I learned to love the sound of tugboat horns
Tug Pride headed home to Sarnia. As a toddler living near the Choptank River (MD), I learned to love the sound of tugboat horns
Tug Pride profile
Tug Pride profile
Bookworm

I'm back, with photos of recent activity on the St. Clair River. Have too many photos to post in one batch so will begin with Sunday, July 19th. and add more each day until I'm caught up.
Attachments
Algoma Buffalo above the Bluewater Bridges on a hazy Sunday morning.
Algoma Buffalo above the Bluewater Bridges on a hazy Sunday morning.
Bow and pilot house of Arthur M. Anderson.
Bow and pilot house of Arthur M. Anderson.
Arthur M. Anderson, sweeping out onto Lake Huron.
Arthur M. Anderson, sweeping out onto Lake Huron.
Tanker Algonorth at the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Tanker Algonorth at the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Tanker Algonova, also at the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Tanker Algonova, also at the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Algoma Sault refueling at the Corunna (Shell) Fuel Dock.
Algoma Sault refueling at the Corunna (Shell) Fuel Dock.
Bookworm

Yesterday I felt the pull of the river and confidence that I have healed enough to (carefully choosing locations with flat surfaces and no loose stones) start "shooting ships" again. So I had a delightful morning capturing Algoma Buffalo down-bound about 20 minutes from Port Huron; Arthur M. Anderson up-bound below the BWB; Algonorth and Algonova at the lower Sarnia Dock; and Algoma Sault refueling at the Shell dock. Finished the day with Herbert C. Jackson and James R. Barker, up-bound at Marysville.
Transferred the photos to my computer and did the edits, but as I tried connecting to the Internet, the computer locked up and needs professional attention.
Until then, I'll keep adding shots and will post them on this thread ASAP.
Bookworm

Celebrating the freedom of Great Lakes connectivity and commerce with the world!
Attachments
Despite the fairly early morning hour, because of increasing pleasure boat traffic, CSL Welland (Montreal) was sounding warning blasts from above Marysville to Stag Island.
Despite the fairly early morning hour, because of increasing pleasure boat traffic, CSL Welland (Montreal) was sounding warning blasts from above Marysville to Stag Island.
Saltie BBC Volga (Bay City) loaded with windmill parts.
Saltie BBC Volga (Bay City) loaded with windmill parts.
Profile of BBC Volga.
Profile of BBC Volga.
Saltie BBC Mekong (Duluth) at Marysville.
Saltie BBC Mekong (Duluth) at Marysville.
Bookworm

garbear wrote:If the Zeus was upbound probably headed for Ludington.
Not Zeus. Spartan.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

If the Zeus was upbound probably headed for Ludington.
Bookworm

A hot July 4th. weekend along the St. Clair River. I prefer my tree-shaded yard!
Attachments
Tug Spartan with her barge Spartan II (no current destination) at Marysville.
Tug Spartan with her barge Spartan II (no current destination) at Marysville.
Tug Wilf Seymour (Sarnia) peering over the length of barge Alouette Spirit, above Marysville.
Tug Wilf Seymour (Sarnia) peering over the length of barge Alouette Spirit, above Marysville.
Close up of tug Wilf Seymour.
Close up of tug Wilf Seymour.
Tanker Algonorth departed the Sarnia Anchorage and headed to the lower fuel dock.
Tanker Algonorth departed the Sarnia Anchorage and headed to the lower fuel dock.
Supply boat Huron Spirit racing back to dock on the Black River.
Supply boat Huron Spirit racing back to dock on the Black River.
Saltie Whistler (Ghent Belgium) about to enter the St. Clair River at Port Huron.
Saltie Whistler (Ghent Belgium) about to enter the St. Clair River at Port Huron.
Later, Whistler above Marysville.
Later, Whistler above Marysville.
Tug Michigan and tanker barge Great Lakes at the former Bean Dock south of Port Huron.
Tug Michigan and tanker barge Great Lakes at the former Bean Dock south of Port Huron.
Bookworm

Darryl wrote:You got excellent shots of two I worked on back in the day: The Presque Isle, and the Republic. The PI photo looks like the framed photo of her that hung in THE SIU Hall in Duluth. When the Hall closed, I got the picture.
Thanks, Darryl. It's hard to get a "bad" shot of any of the fleet. Although I realize they are machines and not out for their beauty, I appreciate how GLF ships appear to be well maintained and are always photogenic.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

You got excellent shots of two I worked on back in the day: The Presque Isle, and the Republic. The PI photo looks like the framed photo of her that hung in THE SIU Hall in Duluth. When the Hall closed, I got the picture.
Bookworm

Slowly gaining smoother movement and stability so can enjoy spending a little more time with my camera, at the river.
Attachments
The little tug that could, Duluth (Chicago) at Marysville.
The little tug that could, Duluth (Chicago) at Marysville.
Tug Duluth and two barges.
Tug Duluth and two barges.
Algoma Niagara (Hamilton) making the big curve above Marysville.
Algoma Niagara (Hamilton) making the big curve above Marysville.
Tug Joyce L. VanEnkevort (Stoneport) pushes barge Great Lakes Trader through Chemical Valley. She was the first &quot;modern&quot; tug my late son and I ever saw (Huron, OH 2004) and we always referred to the design as &quot;ET.&quot;
Tug Joyce L. VanEnkevort (Stoneport) pushes barge Great Lakes Trader through Chemical Valley. She was the first "modern" tug my late son and I ever saw (Huron, OH 2004) and we always referred to the design as "ET."
Saltie BBC Swift with windmill blades for Duluth.
Saltie BBC Swift with windmill blades for Duluth.
Tug/barge Presque Isle (Two Harbors) off Stag Island. The overall length of this vessel is 1,000 ft.
Tug/barge Presque Isle (Two Harbors) off Stag Island. The overall length of this vessel is 1,000 ft.
Great Republic (Calcite) follows in fleet-mate's wake.
Great Republic (Calcite) follows in fleet-mate's wake.
Tanker Damia Desgagnes at the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Tanker Damia Desgagnes at the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Bookworm

Photos from Tuesday, June 23, 2020. At this point, their destinations are irrelevant.
Attachments
Gorgeous skies reflected in the water as saltie Comet enters the St. Clair River.
Gorgeous skies reflected in the water as saltie Comet enters the St. Clair River.
By the time saltie Comet reached Marysville, rain clouds moved in.
By the time saltie Comet reached Marysville, rain clouds moved in.
Mississagi coming off Lake Huron.
Mississagi coming off Lake Huron.
Herbert C. Jackson off Stag Island.
Herbert C. Jackson off Stag Island.
Atlantic Huron approaching Marysville.
Atlantic Huron approaching Marysville.
Atlantic Huron down-bound at Marysville.
Atlantic Huron down-bound at Marysville.
Bookworm

The thoughts and well wishes of my thread followers are also good medicine!
Mother believed that when an injury began itching, it was a sign of healing. If she was right, this will be a very short inconvenience. I'm doing the exercises prescribed by my doctor and have had no need for pain meds. Due to a blood clot ('89) I do take an aspirin a day.
Oh, and the earlier gap in postings was for a different reason. Eventually, I'll submit the photos still on my camera.
Blessings to all of you!

Unread post by Guest »

So Sorry to hear of the incident with the small dog. Starting on June 23 til June 27, I asked myself everyday where is "What to my wondering eyes". You were missed! I sure hope you heal fast!