What to my wondering eyes...

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: What to my wondering eyes..

Unread post by Denny »

I second that and agree Ohio Bob. Indeed many of God’s Blessings be upon you Dawn.
Ohio Bob

Unread post by Ohio Bob »

May God bless you and protect you Dawn!
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Darryl wrote:Where's the flooding taking place on the St. Clair this Winter?
South of St. Clair and on to Algonac. Ice gets trapped in the St. Clair Flats and creates an ice jam that backs up and requires US and Canadian Coast Guard ice breakers to get and keep it moving into Lake St. Clair.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Where's the flooding taking place on the St. Clair this Winter?
Bookworm

Today brought Bookworm out of retirement momentarily to watch and photograph a bit of action on the (free-flowing) St. Clair River. Unfortunately, gulls enjoying a free ride on little ice floes went by too fast to capture!
Attachments
CCG Samuel Risley passing Marysville, up-bound to Lake Huron.  No ice to break on the St. Clair River today!
CCG Samuel Risley passing Marysville, up-bound to Lake Huron. No ice to break on the St. Clair River today!
Tug/tanker barge Michigan (Cheboygan) entering Canada's Chemical Valley.
Tug/tanker barge Michigan (Cheboygan) entering Canada's Chemical Valley.
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

Two days before Christmas, with wicked winds blowing, on the St. Clair River few vessels were going...
Christmas blessings of inner peace, joy, hope and love to all and wishing you a safe and healthy New Year!
Attachments
Lee A. Tregurtha in the Sarnia Anchorage, waiting out the strong winds and waves. (PRT was too far out for even my zoom lens.)
Lee A. Tregurtha in the Sarnia Anchorage, waiting out the strong winds and waves. (PRT was too far out for even my zoom lens.)
Tanker Algonova (Sault Ste. Marie) entering Lake Huron.
Tanker Algonova (Sault Ste. Marie) entering Lake Huron.
USCG Hollyhock at her dock. (Sorry for the poor quality of this shot. Winds had picked up and I was getting buffeted by the gusts.)
USCG Hollyhock at her dock. (Sorry for the poor quality of this shot. Winds had picked up and I was getting buffeted by the gusts.)
Oh what fun it is to plow through waves!
Oh what fun it is to plow through waves!
Huron Lightship festively decked out for the season.
Huron Lightship festively decked out for the season.
Tanker Algoma Hansa moored at Sarnia.
Tanker Algoma Hansa moored at Sarnia.
Evans Spirit at the Sarnia Government Dock.
Evans Spirit at the Sarnia Government Dock.
Tug Albert and barge at the former Bean Dock below Port Huron.
Tug Albert and barge at the former Bean Dock below Port Huron.
Tanker barge Margaret.
Tanker barge Margaret.
Colorful chem Tanker Iver Bright at the lower Sarnia fuel dock.
Colorful chem Tanker Iver Bright at the lower Sarnia fuel dock.
Mighty tug Manitou at her dock below Port Huron.
Mighty tug Manitou at her dock below Port Huron.
Tanker Maria Desgagnes at the Corunna fuel dock.
Tanker Maria Desgagnes at the Corunna fuel dock.
Saltie Beatrix (Montreal) just below Marysville.
Saltie Beatrix (Montreal) just below Marysville.
Bookworm

Guest, I am so sorry you experienced an unplanned retirement. We need to feel we are contributing something positive to the those we love or connect with. Nothing you wrote offended me. I, too, find being by the water to be calming and the sounds of ships moving through the water gave me another way to cope when dealing with depression. Pulling weeds from my yard only keeps me busy!

Unread post by Guest »

Bookworm wrote:
Guest wrote:
Bookworm wrote:See photo below:
Hope you have a long and healthy retirement.
Thank you Guest. When I retired from my career job and moved to the St. Clair River area, I found a passion in photographing ships and posting on Boatnerd for family, friends, former mariners and other Boatnerds to enjoy. I had absolutely no intention of retiring. But circumstances beyond my control took away the joy I found in the experience and made that my only option. So, now I am content to hear an occasional salute, but seldom go to the river anymore.
I still enjoy the boat, not so much in taking pictures. I enjoy the boat photos on Facebook. When I retired, things change and I was chase out or told to leave this place I worked for 41 years.
I would check in on your "What to my wondering eyes..", every once in awhile and enjoyed your photos. Thanks.
Never like how we ended. Sorry if I have offended you. Never worried about getting fired.
I hope you over come your circumstances.
Sitting down and watching the moving water, my favorite spot was near the bridge in Port Huron. Something about the water does it for me.
Take Care and be Safe.
Bookworm

Guest wrote:
Thank you Guest. When I retired from my career job and moved to the St. Clair River area, I found a passion in photographing ships and posting on Boatnerd for family, friends, former mariners and other Boatnerds to enjoy. I had absolutely no intention of retiring. But circumstances beyond my control took away the joy I found in the experience and made that my only option. So, now I am content to hear an occasional salute, but seldom go to the river anymore.

Unread post by Guest »

Bookworm

Guest wrote:You will be sorely missed. Those like me who do not live close to the water have certainly enjoyed your efforts . First thing I do in the morning is to look for your posts
Thanks again and God speed
Thank you Guest. It was because of those who live away from Lake Huron and the St. Clair River that I began photographing the passing vessels and posting the pictures on Boatnerd. It was a pleasure using my gift in this way.
Bookworm

Paul A wrote:That's a beautiful photo! I wish it wasn't the sunset shot of your gift to us for so long. I really appreciate your sharing the river for all of us that can't be there. Hugs and all the best to you Dawn. <3
Thanks Paul. This was early one morning. I was following my favorite ship and, when possible, love to incorporate Nature in my compositions. As she approached, an opening in the clouds allowed a sunbeam to add visual drama. It is my absolute favorite capture of Lee A.
Bookworm

Two day's worth of Bookworm's "parting shots" for you to enjoy!
Attachments
Dorothy Ann &amp; Pathfinder (Holland, MI) reflected in the calm river early Saturday morning.
Dorothy Ann & Pathfinder (Holland, MI) reflected in the calm river early Saturday morning.
Tanker Iver Bright at the Lower/Esso Fuel Dock before departing for a short jaunt to Detroit.
Tanker Iver Bright at the Lower/Esso Fuel Dock before departing for a short jaunt to Detroit.
John D. Leitch (Hamilton) making a spectacular image against the Bluewater Bridges.
John D. Leitch (Hamilton) making a spectacular image against the Bluewater Bridges.
Algoma Sault (Ashtabula) at Marysville.
Algoma Sault (Ashtabula) at Marysville.
The above ground roots of this tree have always fascinated me. I think of them as anchored in the sands of time.
The above ground roots of this tree have always fascinated me. I think of them as anchored in the sands of time.
Early birds sunbathing before the crush of humans arrives.
Early birds sunbathing before the crush of humans arrives.
Saltie BBC Rushmore (Bay City) off Lighthouse Park.
Saltie BBC Rushmore (Bay City) off Lighthouse Park.
The pilot boat follows closely behind.
The pilot boat follows closely behind.
Tanker Algoma Hansa left the Sarnia anchorage and is headed to a dock.
Tanker Algoma Hansa left the Sarnia anchorage and is headed to a dock.
Perfect weather for a leisurely sail on Lake Huron.
Perfect weather for a leisurely sail on Lake Huron.
Tug Anglian Lady and barge (Sault Ste. Marie) start the late morning river traffic rush at St. Clair.
Tug Anglian Lady and barge (Sault Ste. Marie) start the late morning river traffic rush at St. Clair.
Tug Victory and barge Maumee (Sault Ste. Marie) passing St. Clair.
Tug Victory and barge Maumee (Sault Ste. Marie) passing St. Clair.
Plenty of small craft on the river at St. Clair!
Plenty of small craft on the river at St. Clair!
Tanker Algocanada (Nanticoke) at St. Clair.
Tanker Algocanada (Nanticoke) at St. Clair.
American Mariner (&quot;CBT&quot; Cleveland?) at St. Clair as the day becomes more humid.
American Mariner ("CBT" Cleveland?) at St. Clair as the day becomes more humid.

Unread post by Guest »

You will be sorely missed. Those like me who do not live close to the water have certainly enjoyed your efforts . First thing I do in the morning is to look for your posts
Thanks again and God speed
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

That's a beautiful photo! I wish it wasn't the sunset shot of your gift to us for so long. I really appreciate your sharing the river for all of us that can't be there. Hugs and all the best to you Dawn. <3
Bookworm

See photo below:
Attachments
Retirement.jpg
Bookworm

A delightfully full day of river traffic, including American Century!
Attachments
Manitowoc (Stoneport) easily caught up and passed Salvage Monarch below Marysville.
Manitowoc (Stoneport) easily caught up and passed Salvage Monarch below Marysville.
Tug Salvage Monarch (Sault Ste. Marie) and tug off Stag Island.
Tug Salvage Monarch (Sault Ste. Marie) and tug off Stag Island.
Hilke (Gaspe, ON, Canada) at the Junction Buoy.
Hilke (Gaspe, ON, Canada) at the Junction Buoy.
Algoma Buffalo (Goderich) approaching Marysville. She stopped for a fill-up at the Corunna/Shell Fuel Dock.
Algoma Buffalo (Goderich) approaching Marysville. She stopped for a fill-up at the Corunna/Shell Fuel Dock.
Late afternoon sun reflects off Edwin H. Gott (Two Harbors) entering Chemical Valley.
Late afternoon sun reflects off Edwin H. Gott (Two Harbors) entering Chemical Valley.
Saginaw (&quot;Serpent Harbor&quot;) up-bound at St. Clair.
Saginaw ("Serpent Harbor") up-bound at St. Clair.
Mississagi (Toledo) down-bound at St. Clair.
Mississagi (Toledo) down-bound at St. Clair.
Fleet Mates meet and greet with an exchange of salutes.
Fleet Mates meet and greet with an exchange of salutes.
American Century (Superior) in the rosy glow of sunset, off Stag Island.
American Century (Superior) in the rosy glow of sunset, off Stag Island.
Bookworm

The morning started with sunshine here but a band of rain moved in to the west and north of the river, and for 10-15 minutes there was a constant rumble of thunder -- something I learned to associate with severe weather when living in OK and KS -- and since I couldn't see the lightening, I played it safe and stayed in. When that cell moved out, others came more quietly, in waves with heavy rain, throughout the day.
Attachments
Tug/Barge Presque Isle (Two Harbors) above Marysville under clear early morning skies.
Tug/Barge Presque Isle (Two Harbors) above Marysville under clear early morning skies.
Following saltie Tundra (formerly Eider) on AIS, it appeared, from weather radar, that she was in continuous heavy rain from at least Port Sanilac to the Blue Water Bridges and beyond.
Following saltie Tundra (formerly Eider) on AIS, it appeared, from weather radar, that she was in continuous heavy rain from at least Port Sanilac to the Blue Water Bridges and beyond.
Finally out of the incessant rains below Marysville, Tundra moves on down river with a final destination of San Juan, Puerto Rico .
Finally out of the incessant rains below Marysville, Tundra moves on down river with a final destination of San Juan, Puerto Rico .
Tug Victory and barge Maumee (Sault Ste Marie) sounded a salute opposite Stag Island.
Tug Victory and barge Maumee (Sault Ste Marie) sounded a salute opposite Stag Island.
My first ever sighting of saltie Spiekeroog loaded with windmill parts for Bay City.
My first ever sighting of saltie Spiekeroog loaded with windmill parts for Bay City.
Bookworm

The delightfully cool and less humid weather is about to change, with rain through tomorrow.
Attachments
Saltie Gdansk (destination uncertain) ferrying one of many cargoes of wind turbine blades up the St. Clair River, the last few months.
Saltie Gdansk (destination uncertain) ferrying one of many cargoes of wind turbine blades up the St. Clair River, the last few months.
Manitowoc caught me by surprise as I watched her slow at Marysville and shift toward the Bluewater Aggregates dock. Drove on up river to get this shot. Note the work boat near her stern.
Manitowoc caught me by surprise as I watched her slow at Marysville and shift toward the Bluewater Aggregates dock. Drove on up river to get this shot. Note the work boat near her stern.
Saltie Josef (Duluth) passing Marine City loaded with wind turbine tower sections.
Saltie Josef (Duluth) passing Marine City loaded with wind turbine tower sections.
Tanker Algoscotia (Sarnia) at Marine City.
Tanker Algoscotia (Sarnia) at Marine City.
Algoma Niagara (Goderich) slowly moving toward the Corunna/Shell Fuel Dock.
Algoma Niagara (Goderich) slowly moving toward the Corunna/Shell Fuel Dock.
Bookworm

Even I was surprised at how much St. Clair River traffic I captured in a week's time! I'll not be at the river today but tomorrow begins a new month.
Attachments
John G. Munson (Fairport) still going strong at 68-years old!
John G. Munson (Fairport) still going strong at 68-years old!
Saltie Iryda (Montreal) with a long trans-Atlantic journey ahead.
Saltie Iryda (Montreal) with a long trans-Atlantic journey ahead.
Mississagi (Sombra) at Stag Island on a nearly perfect afternoon.
Mississagi (Sombra) at Stag Island on a nearly perfect afternoon.
Algoma Guardian (Hamilton) passing the Junction Buoy.
Algoma Guardian (Hamilton) passing the Junction Buoy.
Tanker Algonorth in Chemical Valley, headed to the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Tanker Algonorth in Chemical Valley, headed to the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Whitefish Bay (Thunder Bay) spotlighted by late afternoon sun.
Whitefish Bay (Thunder Bay) spotlighted by late afternoon sun.
Great Republic (Detroit) surrounded by twilight colors, approaches the Bluewater Bridges.<br />She made a quick turn-around was already up-bound to Stoneport late yesterday.
Great Republic (Detroit) surrounded by twilight colors, approaches the Bluewater Bridges.
She made a quick turn-around was already up-bound to Stoneport late yesterday.
Saltie Hilke, with windmill blades for Bay City, above Marysville.
Saltie Hilke, with windmill blades for Bay City, above Marysville.
Saltie Federal Churchill (Burns Harbor) disrupts a morning gathering of geese at Marysville.
Saltie Federal Churchill (Burns Harbor) disrupts a morning gathering of geese at Marysville.
American Integrity (Superior) drew jet skiers like ants at a picnic!
American Integrity (Superior) drew jet skiers like ants at a picnic!
Hong Kong flagged saltie Zea Servant (Bay City) at Marysville.
Hong Kong flagged saltie Zea Servant (Bay City) at Marysville.