What to my wondering eyes...

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: What to my wondering eyes..

Unread post by Bookworm »

A beautiful morning. AIS showed Olive Moore and American Mariner down-bound to Saginaw Bay, so I made a quick change of plans and headed to the lake. Unfortunately, an off-shore fog obscured them, but I could hear their fog horns!
Thinking the fog might not be as thick further south, I drove on to East Tawas/Tawas and waited for them to appear, but it didn't happen. So, I went on to Alabaster and photographed the historical Alabaster loading platform there.
Attachments
A brief history of the Alabaster gypsum facility.
A brief history of the Alabaster gypsum facility.
Before it closed, ships tied up to the 600' dock to take on gypsum, from the local quarry.
Before it closed, ships tied up to the 600' dock to take on gypsum, from the local quarry.
Bookworm

Got lucky this afternoon. While waiting for Walter J. McCarthy, up-bound from Essexville to Duluth-Superior, Samuel deChamplain was down-bound to Essexville. Wind-whipped water made for a nice composition but that cold, strong wind was a real challenge for me to be able to stand still, focus, and snap the shutter. Getting sharp images just didn't happen, no matter how many shots I took!
Attachments
According to Marine Traffic, the wind was blowing at 20 knots as McCarthy pushed against it and the chop.
According to Marine Traffic, the wind was blowing at 20 knots as McCarthy pushed against it and the chop.
Champlain had a nice tail-wind.
Champlain had a nice tail-wind.
Bookworm

Re: bookworm

bvboatnerd wrote:I haven't been follow boatnerd that much lately, but just wanted to say I always enjoyed you photos, and that my prayers and thoughts are with you and your son. You have a beautiful area like Alpena to be in and knowing God, He will help you and your son thought this time in your life. God Bless you and your son.
Thank you BV. He was given two months to live but at six weeks he remains physically strong and mentally alert. The excruciating abdominal pain (tumor pressing against a vital organ) saps his energy. We still believe in miracles and appreciate the outpouring of support.
bvboatnerd

bookworm

Unread post by bvboatnerd »

I haven't been follow boatnerd that much lately, but just wanted to say I always enjoyed you photos, and that my prayers and thoughts are with you and your son. You have a beautiful area like Alpena to be in and knowing God, He will help you and your son thought this time in your life. God Bless you and your son.

Unread post by Guest »

well we live in Alpena but know the US 23 really good
Bookworm

Guest wrote:Hey bookworm were do you live your in our neck of the woods
Where is your neck of the woods? My camera captures images along Lake Huron from Tawas/E. Tawas to Rogers City and I'm always on the look-out for good places to see the ships.

Unread post by Guest »

Hey bookworm were do you live your in our neck of the woods
Bookworm

Around 09:30 Sunday morning, the Joe Block was up-bound on turbulent Lake Huron, off Greenbush, with a destination of Port Inland.
Attachments
Looks like she's on the very edge of the horizon from this vantage and the water looks to be filled with ice chunks.  We did have near-freezing temperatures overnight but not that cold!
Looks like she's on the very edge of the horizon from this vantage and the water looks to be filled with ice chunks. We did have near-freezing temperatures overnight but not that cold!
Bookworm

An amazing day started with Dorothy Ann/Pathfinder (see below) and continued with sightings of a research vessel, small tug (both too small to be photographed from my shoreline vantage point), and ended with American Integrity, up-bound to SMET in early evening.
Attachments
Up-bound from Bay City to Duluth.
Up-bound from Bay City to Duluth.
Bookworm

Too early to photograph, but as the eastern sky began to lighten this morning, Dorothy Ann/Pathfinder made a lovely sight heading down-bound, with her lights twinkling in the darkness.
Bookworm

What to my wondering eyes...

should appear, but tug/barge Defiance/Ashtabula, on the horizon!
This is the closest I've seen ships other than at Rogers City.
Attachments
She was off East Tawas, above the mouth of Saginaw Bay, apparently turning to head to Bay City.
She was off East Tawas, above the mouth of Saginaw Bay, apparently turning to head to Bay City.