Alpena activity

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: Alpena activity

Unread post by Bookworm »

It's been awhile since I've gone anywhere for the fun of it, but a break in the on-and-off rains we've been getting was all it took. Even though AIS showed nothing promising at Alpena, skies were clearing up that way, so I made one of my famous quick decisions and headed there. So glad I did! I'm starting to learn my way around and turned on a new street where I was pleasantly surprised to see two large research vessels at dock!
Attachments
2017-06-17a Laurentian.jpg
2017-06-17b Laurentian.jpg
2017-06-17c Laurentian.jpg
2017-06-17d Lake Guardian.jpg
2017-06-17e Lake Guardian.jpg
2017-06-17f Lake Guardian.jpg
2017-06-17g Lake Guardian.jpg
2017-06-17h Lake Guardian.jpg
2017-06-17i Research vessel Tanner.jpg
Through the open bridge, down the channel, and out onto Lake Huron to visit the underwater shipwreck preserve.
Through the open bridge, down the channel, and out onto Lake Huron to visit the underwater shipwreck preserve.
Bookworm

Was finally able to be at Alpena when the vessel Alpena came to the Lafarge dock, this afternoon.
Attachments
Straight-on shot as she enters Thunder Bay.  Alpena, with her classic pilot house and colorful stack colors, is a favorite of many Boatnerds.
Straight-on shot as she enters Thunder Bay. Alpena, with her classic pilot house and colorful stack colors, is a favorite of many Boatnerds.
Alpena at only 519' 06" looks impressively long in profile.
Alpena at only 519' 06" looks impressively long in profile.
Alpena behind the rocky break-wall, turning toward the dock.
Alpena behind the rocky break-wall, turning toward the dock.
Research vessel Darter and crew in the calmer marina waters.
Research vessel Darter and crew in the calmer marina waters.
Bookworm

Calumet came off Lake Huron and entered Thunder Bay with orders to load at Lafarge - Alpena.
Attachments
M/V Calumet appears in the distance.  She turned about to back down the channel.
M/V Calumet appears in the distance. She turned about to back down the channel.
After a night of rain with thunder and lightening, skies showed promise of clearing.
After a night of rain with thunder and lightening, skies showed promise of clearing.
First signs of activity.
First signs of activity.
Calumet backing to the Lafarge dock
Calumet backing to the Lafarge dock
Egret combing the rocks for breakfast treats
Egret combing the rocks for breakfast treats
Bookworm

Alpena activity

Early this afternoon, there was plenty to see from the Alpena break-wall.
Attachments
I hope to take the cruise sometime this summer.
I hope to take the cruise sometime this summer.
Samuel de Champlain & Innovation coming off Lake Huron.
Samuel de Champlain & Innovation coming off Lake Huron.
Samuel de Champlain & Innovation entering the Lafarge canal.
Samuel de Champlain & Innovation entering the Lafarge canal.
One of 7 Lake Huron lighthouses in the Alpena area.  http://www.visitalpena.com/7-lighthouse-adventure/
One of 7 Lake Huron lighthouses in the Alpena area. http://www.visitalpena.com/7-lighthouse-adventure/