Update from Denny

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: Update from Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello once again to Howard and all my boatnerd friends out there as well. Just a short note and update to let you all know that I received an update from my brother today that our home improvement projects are scheduled to begin either the week of October 7 or 14. Right now I am hoping it’s the week of October 7. As for the week of October 14 though I’ve never ever made the river on October 14 close to what I consider the Paul R. Tregurtha’s homecoming date if you will of 1013 as I call it every year if I’m making sense with this? I’m hoping to have lots more updates for all of you later in the week as they’re forecasting rain and storms so I should have a day or two this week to give you all some updates on my river stuff. So with the home projects starting up next month as I mentioned before, this will have a significant impact on me going to the river for a while in October. Now keep in mind that I’ll still be able to make the river but just don’t know yet when? That’s why now I’m hoping for a warm and mild November at the river this year so I can make up lost time in October. So stay tuned for new updates this week!
Howard Sprague

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

It's great to hear that you had such a great day, Denny, and were so successful on Friday. It's very possible we were near you taking photos as we were out on Friday and had a great day.

We made a short trip to the river yesterday but had to get home so we could be ready to watch the UNC Tar Heels game. We've been a UNC fan for as long as we can remember since we grew up only a couple of hours from Raleigh, NC. Mother even graduated from UNC back in 1958! So I guess you could say being a Tar Heels fan is in our blood.

We're hoping to get out to the river tomorrow, too, if the weather holds, so we can see the Algoma Spirit since we haven't seen her yet this season on the river.

You take care, my friend, and good luck on your home repairs!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello to Howard and all of my friends. I was at the river on Friday and saw 9 boats and right now that's all I can say about the trip as I am still in major catchup mode from this crazy, busy and hectic week of appointments for me! Been working tirelessly all weekend long trying to get caught up on things before tomorrow's football games to watch on TV as I'm a huge NFL Football fan and enjoy watching the games. I don't know when I can provide more detail and updates as next week I will have a few things that I need to take care of and do but, hopefully things will start to slow down a bit and maybe I won't be so busy then? Next month in October will be a busy month not at the river but with lots of home projects to get done and needs to be done. I don't know how many river trips I'll be able to make or just when I can get there? Right now I am hoping for a warm and mild November and maybe I can get lots in then? Until then Happy Boatwatching everyone and keep reading!
Howard Sprague

Hello Denny and all of my friends,

A quick update for you all from our iPad as we sit at the River and wait for the Cuyahoga to come down. 
We were out yesterday and got some great shots of Alpena and Herbert C. Jackson,  as well as Damia Desgagnes which we had never seen before.

We got back late on Wednesday night from Florida. We had to fly in because Mother found a place near Aunt Nora and has decided to stay down there with her until the paperwork is done. Fortunately we took Mother's car down so she has a means of transportation.

On the way down, we stopped in Savannah, Georgia to see cousin Roger on Sunday and he took us to see a very large container ship that was coming into port. I didn't realize how small they make the big PRT look! We also stopped in Brunswick, Georgia to see the wreck of that auto carrier that tipped over early this month. It was quite a sight and we got some great photos that we will edit and post here for you all to enjoy later on. It sure was good to see Aunt Nora since we haven't seen her since the last family reunion in 2016. You take care Denny and we'll see you along the river soon!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let everyone know that follows this post and reads it along with my comments, another delay in updates is expected once again this week as I am anticipating another very busy and crazy schedule this week with lots going on as far as appointments. I will update as best as I can whenever I can get the time this week as every day this week at least from Monday through Friday I have appointments planned. So I may be able to do a river trip or two as we will just have to wait and see on that one. I will give everyone one piece of good news but I will need to do more of my own research on this stat for the river. If I end up by seeing 20 or more saltwater ships or Salties if you will on the river in a season and year, then usually I will end up with 20 or more trips out to the river that year! Again I will need time to research this and then I will post this with a new update later. So how many Salties then I have seen so far in 2019? As of last Friday I’m up to 21 which means that this year for certain I will end and have at least 20 or more trips to the river!
Howard Sprague

That's great to hear that you had such a fantastic day, Denny!

We were out at the river Monday to see Le Champlain and Tim S. Dool "with the new Algoma bow logos!" and we were also out on Thursday and had a great day. The highlight was getting the Herbert C. Jackson upbound at Marine City in great lighting conditions.

That will be our last river trip for a week or so, though, as we are leaving bright and early in the morning to drive down to Florida with Mother. She is looking for a winter condo down there because at 84 she just can't handle the snow anymore and with my bad back I can't shovel the snow out of her driveway like I did when I was younger. Her sister Nora has lived down there in a development outside Fort Lauderdale since Uncle Ollie died in 2014 and Mother found a few places for sale to look at. Hopefully we can stop at the ports on the east coast of Florida when we get down there. You take care my friend, and I'm thrilled to hear that Autumn Thunder is off to a great start!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey everyone another update for you from me and my trips out to the St. Clair River. This week was an awesome week as this is how it went. First off on Monday we went up to the river for just a few short hours to see the cruise ship Le Champlain as I believe I had mentioned that in an earlier post. So, that brings us to today's trip up to the river. First let me begin by saying that I have "NEVER" ever done September 20 believe it or not in 26 years out along the St. Clair River. So what's the big deal you ask? Plain and simple it took me 27 years but, FINALLY I made it to the river on the 20th of September and believe it or not it was well worth the wait as you all won't believe what we saw. You may say and think that seeing only 8 boats isn't much of a big deal and wasn't a lot but, think again as it's the way we saw the eight ships hence the reason that I call it "Autumn Thunder this time of year!" The Thunder was out today at the river and check out the list of the 8 ships that I saw.

Federal Margaree (never seen it before today)
CSL St-Laurent (Finally saw it down in Port Huron at the bridge)
John D. Leitch (First time this year and first time since 2017)
G3 Marquis (only the second time I saw it but first in St. Clair)
Michipicoten (first time seen on the river all season long in 2019)
Hamburg (first time ever seen it and after rename)

So, those five ships mentioned above were all ones I had not seen either before 2019 or never seen period before. Three more that I did see though were the Algoma Sault upbound the second time in 2019 for her, the James R. Barker downbound first time down for her as two previous times this year were upbound and as I said the CSL St-Laurent was the first time downbound ever at the Bridge in Port Huron with the Sea Keepers Mural. So today at the river was extra special and Mega, Super huge for me and well worth the wait of 27 years to finally nail down September 20. This will surely be a day and date at the river that I will always remember and surely never ever forget! Today's trip now brings me up to a grand total of 16 trips for the 2019 season with four to go for my 20th trip to which I am hoping to obtain probably sometime during the first week in October. Keep in mind folks that 17 is an average year of river trips for me. I've never ever finished a year at 18 or 19 so it is either 17 or fewer at times but anything over 17 means point is that it will be 20 or higher at the river. So this year I will definitely end the year at some point with at least 20 trips or more which I will be very happy and satisfied with and also the countdown for my 500th river trip is also underway and at some point in the year 2020 I am expecting to obtain and achieve that awesome goal for me. Definitely exciting times and days are coming and ahead here.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello everyone and hope that you’re all doing well. Thanks everyone for reading this post and also your comments and words of encouragement as they’re very much appreciated here. Sorry for not updating here as I’m still in “major catchup mode and probably will be now right up at least until the season ends in mid-January at the Soo when they shut and close down for the winter.” At least then I’ll have more spare and free time to work on things and right now I got lots and tons of stuff lined up to do this winter. At this time however, October this year will be a very busy along with crazy and hectic month for me not at the river though but getting lots of home improvement projects done that both my folks put off for years until they past away. The point is most of the home improvement projects didn’t get done while they were here and now we’re making up for it and the challenging part is we’re dealing with a home that’s over 50 years old as well! So I don’t know how much Ship and river watching I’ll be doing in October as we will just have to wait and see on that one. Right now I’m stuck on 15 trips so far in 2019 to the St. Clair River and the challenging part now is trying to get the 20th trip in this year as I’m hoping to get at least 20 runs but it’s sure been a struggle and a long road and hill to climb getting to that point this year. At some point though I hope and know I’ll get 20 runs to the rivet but it’s going to take time this year. Well yesterday we were at the river for a short time only to see the cruise and passenger ship Le Champlain go through. This was her first ever visit here in the Great Lakes/Seaway and first trip up the St. Clair River having been built just last year in 2018. It was quite a thrill and sight seeeing it go by on the river though yesterday. Saw the Tim S. Dool getting fuel at Shell but didn’t have time for pictures and missed the Calumet down in St. Clair as well both of which I hadn’t seen so far all year. Got to see the Algoma Guardian at the Bridge in Port Huron so that’s one less Algoma boat for me to see in 2019 now. Well that wraps up this edition and update as I’ll try and do my very best to keep you all updated on my river trips when I can.
Howard Sprague

Hello Denny my friend, I hope you are doing well!

Despite the unsettled weather we were out at the river again today and boy was it worth it to get the Alpena and Arthur M. Anderson, as well as the Federal Rhine and Algoma Strongfield, among others. There was quite the parade and we saw nine ships. This is our 25th trip this season since we retired from the county in April.
Howard Sprague

I'm glad you got out to the river on Friday and Saturday, Denny. We got out there as well and had great days. We wanted to get out on Sunday after church services but alas, we volunteered to go help mother and some of the other church ladies at Miss Edwards's house. She hasn't been too mobile lately and needs the help.

We were out briefly this morning too. We are anxiously awaiting the first passage of the Laura VanEnkevort as we want badly to see her and are looking forward to the fall grain rush being in full swing with cooler days ahead!
ed

Unread post by ed »

I enjoyed watching the M S U football team defeat Western this past Saturday. They have a very difficult schedule but as of now they look way better than Michigan.Without a doubt, M S U spends way less money on their football program than Michigan or Ohio State and their coaching staff is paid only a fraction of either Michigan or Ohio State. Just goes to show you that money can NOT buy a winning program !
MarcE

Unread post by MarcE »

I live in AZ about 20 mins from the stadium. I wore my Lions shirt with pride until they blew it as usual. I threw it into the closet in disgust. During the Barry Sanders era i worked security for training camp and did field security. I got to talk to my heros everyday! That era is gone and Im tired of saying Theres always next year!
Ill start watching them again if they make the playoffs.
Hey Denny... Always GO BLUE!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Needless to say one and all that after watching the Lions and their performance and "major meltdown" in Arizona on Sunday along with the Michigan Wolverines' survival in Ann Arbor on Saturday against Army, I'm all through now watching both Michigan along with the Lions on TV and wasting my time with the both of these two teams. The only way that I will ever watch Michigan on TV is they someday get rid of Harbaugh and this program gets back to the days like when Bo once coached them and they were a power and a consistent team win or lose but mostly beating Ohio State along with Michigan State, winning the Big 10 Title and of course going to Bowl games. Right now I don't see much of any of that with the current regime of Harbaugh and his staff right now say the least. As for the Lions, give me a break what more needs to be said on this group of losers? I say LOL heck even High Schoolers can do and play better than they did on Sunday in Arizona! If you want to learn and play football and your a Senior in High School, just go and play for the Lions as that's a secondary HS in my opinion on this. The Lions to me have a bunch of like High School players and no way shape or form are these guys playing now like the pros that they should be. To think the Lions are paying Stafford all of this money and Yeah sure he looked good at times on Sunday but what about the rest of the gang? Yeah the rookie Tight End they ended up drafting should be good so long as Patricia and Darryl Bevel know how and where to use and move him around in the offense. One of their many problems is the Offensive Line has absolutely NO clue how to protect and defend Matt Stafford. How the heck can he sit back in the pocket and take the beatings he does every week is behind me? Just watch him closely and you see he does not and can't figure out how to pick up the blitzes and if you watch on TV sometime, Cam Newton of Carolina is in the same class and look at the beatings that he's been taking every week! Think Andrew Luck made the right decision and move at retiring at a young 29 years of age? I sure do think though and maybe more should consider that one. Just my opinion and thoughts on this. Comments here?
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Can't wait until the Lions play the Vikes. My son will heckle me the whole game. Oh, well. Such is life.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Watched some of the Vikings game today and thought they looked good as least their Defense looked good to me. The Lions are surely going to have trouble with them this year. My brother told me he didn’t think the Bears and their offense would look that good this year and sure enough look at how they did against Green Bay? There again, the Packers and their Offense didn’t look the greatest either and I think Aaron Rogers who I can’t stand may be about done and finished. One team that may be scary this year are the Baltimore Ravens and their offense, just look what they did today to Jacksonville smoking them at 59-17 and the Jags lost their QB Nick Foles today. The worst teams in the NFL this year may be a tie between both Arizona and Miami. Glad I’m not fans of those two teams and another I think that will struggle as they always seem to do are the Jets. In my opinion, Namath cursed the Jets when he made the guarantee that they’d win and they did versus the Colts. The Jets have never been to another Super Bowl since then and never won another. Glad I don’t root for them as they are the Cubs if you will of the NFL Football world.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:Okay Marc and all that watched the Lions game. What did you all think about that one and who would’ve thought and seen that one coming as far as a tie? My brother tells me “Bad Offense, Defense, Quarterback and coaching all leads up to typical Lions for you!” If he survives this year without getting fired, who knows Matt Patricia may not be here after this season and OC coach Darryl Bevel may also be shown the way out as well. My Dad once said “Just sell the dang team already will you? Comments and thoughts one and all?
Sitting up here in Duluth I pretty much have the same feeling. I've been a fan of the Michigan teams for 55 + yrs. One thing I will say is I thought Stafford looked pretty good and that rookie tight end is going to be good.

Tigers I've given up on. I'm not going to blame it on Gardenhire. Avila hasn't given him any talent. Remember growing up in Michigan on Sunday afternoons my Grandma would bring the box radio out in the backyard and we'd listen to the games. Had to use an extension cord because in those early days there weren't battery operated radios. Don't hold out much hope for the teams. Been up here for 40 yrs., but never became a fan of the MN teams.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Okay Marc and all that watched the Lions game. What did you all think about that one and who would’ve thought and seen that one coming as far as a tie? My brother tells me “Bad Offense, Defense, Quarterback and coaching all leads up to typical Lions for you!” If he survives this year without getting fired, who knows Matt Patricia may not be here after this season and OC coach Darryl Bevel may also be shown the way out as well. My Dad once said “Just sell the dang team already will you? Comments and thoughts one and all?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Yeah but I say Go Bills too you all! To think they went 4-0 during the Preseason and yeah they struggled against the Jets today but they also came from behind and won. The point is that a win is a win no matter how you can get it! Next week they go right back to New York and face the Giants and look at what they and Eli are doing today while at Dallas. Next week if they don’t beat the Giants, then I’m torching all of my Buffalo stuff then. Michigan yesterday struggled against Army and I’m all through wasting my Saturdays watching those bozo heads! Get rid of Harbaugh please someday and then maybe I’ll watch Michigan Football again. What about the Tigers or as I call them the lovable losers huh? Last year you lose 98 games and this year you equal that total and then lose more than 100? Too bad they got rid of all their good players folks just look around and if you haven’t noticed lately, they’re all doing much better then when they played here. Now the Tigers are stuck as far as with Miguel Cabrera and all the money spent on him. You’d think the Tigers would learn when it comes to getting power hitters and paying them boatloads of money! Look at when remember years ago when they got Prince Fielder what happened? Of course he turned into a waste and a bust for them! To think they extended GM Al Avila’s contract during the season? Go figure on that decision as he should’ve been shown out the door IMO anyway. I’d be shocked if they don’t end up get rid of the manager Ron Gardenhire after this season. What do you do along with where do you begin with that mess as far as cleaning it up and making the necessary changes and there definitely need to be some there!
MarcE

Unread post by MarcE »

Hey, go Lions!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I asking for everyone’s patience this week as I have a busy week on tap with lots of local things to do this week. At some point when I have the time, I hope to update this post with happenings from my two river trips but until then please I ask you all for your patience and understanding Ali have lots of catching up to do and with the rain forecasts for this week this will be just what I need for playing catch up this week on things. Thanks all for your patience and understanding. Stay Tuned!