Update from Denny

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Howard Sprague

Re: Update from Denny

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Glad to hear you got out to the river last Saturday Denny! We were out every day between Friday and Tuesday at least for a little bit. We had to take a break Wednesday and Thursday because we were getting a new HVAC system put in our house. Mother is flying in this morning to oversee the movers packing up her possessions for her new condo in Florida. Her visit will also give her a chance to see her dear friend Ms. Edwards, who has been feeling poorly lately. You take care and we'll see you on the river soon!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Here is an updated list for anyone that is interested as far as those that read and follow this post regarding vessels so far that I have yet to see on the St. Clair River. Please note and be advised that this list is a "partial list only" and contains vessels and companies that usually and mostly make visits on the St. Clair River to which I would normally see. The list is a bit extensive and long as there are still many and plenty of vessels left out there for me to see yet in 2019 on the river. Here now is the list of vessels yet to be seen.

Algoma Equinox, Algoma Spirit, Algoma Transport along with the Radcliffe R. Latimer. Although I saw it once unloading stone earlier in Sarnia this year, I suppose you can also add Algoma Compass to this list as I've yet to see her also since they added the Algoma logos to her bow.

More ships yet to be seen include American Mariner, Sam Laud, Atlantic Huron, Thunder Bay, the classic cement carrier Alpena believe it or not, Kaministiqua, Robert S. Pierson, Calumet and the tug Leo A. McArthur and barge John J. Carrick which is unheard as I always see that duo every year. The Evans Spirit of McKeil and finally the tug Joyce L. Van Enkevort and barge Great Lakes Trader and the Laura L. Van Enkevort and barge Joseph H. Thompson.

So as you can see from my list, there are still many ships yet out there for me to see in 2019 but my time is running short and I am afraid that I don't have too many opportunities left to see them before the end of November to which I am most likely all done at the river for the year on the count of the uncertainty of the weather at that time of the year as I do not drive in the snow, ice and inclement weather during the winter months. Usually it's either about mid-November to about Thanksgiving time as to when my time at the river is up for the year. Now you can see why it is so very important for me to get the 20th trip to the St. Clair River now and not after the weather starts to change during November.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let everyone know, I was back at the river again on Saturday after a two week layoff due to my home improvement projects that have been taking place. I will give you all an update on what we saw and more on the trip sometime this upcoming week. Thanks as always to my good and close friend Howard for getting me a salute from Captain Bob on the PRT last week as I appreciated that buddy! Now if only I could get a salute sometime out of the JRB as I love his horn salutes yet he will blow it to the lift bridge in Duluth and at Mission Point to the folks up there yet NEVER down here other than maybe the Huron Lightship! The HCJ is another one that I never seem to have any luck with as far as getting salutes go. Other than Captain Bob and Captain Joe Ruch, it appears that some of the Interlake captains don’t believe in giving out salutes which is a shame. So I’m now up to 19 trips to the river now and I can’t wait to get the 20th one. I don’t think the PRT will be around the river though whenever I make it but, it’s not the first time or will it be the last time and that doesn’t bother me. Just want to get the 20th and get the monkey off my back and get some relief, peace, respect and more over some satisfaction of finally hitting the number 20 at the river yet again and hopefully getting back on top again and climbing up the mountaintop once again. The journey this year has been long with lots of bumps in the road and I’ve been tired and weary this year but the end is nearly in sight as far as getting the 20th Trip this year out there.
Howard Sprague

We were out yesterday and got a salute from the BIG PRT Denny, and we dedicated that salute to our "good and dear friend and fellow Boatnerd" Denny!

We also saw the Alpena and the Walter J. McCarthy yesterday.

This morning, we got up early and decided to drive into Canada to visit the Welland Canal. We saw several ships, including the Florence Spirit that we had yet to see in her new black paint scheme. We also saw the NACC Argonaut that we never thought we'd see since she doesn't visit the river. She sure does look sharp! We're going to stay overnight here and go back to our home near the river tomorrow night.

I hope your home repairs are going well and can't wait to see you get back to the river to get to your 20 trips!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey all you boatnerds out there. I just seen on AIS that the classic steamer and oldest operating vessel on the lakes the Alpena is on her way down the St. Clair River with a Detroit destination. I've yet to see this classy girl believe it or not this season and was hoping and asking that if anyone can get her to blow a salute could they please post it on a You Tube page or something? I love hearing her blow a salute anytime with that classic steam whistle of hers as you just don't see and get that anymore like you used to as the days of steam whistle salutes and an era if you will are drawing to a close. Even if she doesn't salute, at least enjoy her today while you can boatnerds as I sure do envy you all and especially my good and dear friend Bookworm as hopefully she will get and take lots of photos of today's action and traffic up along the St. Clair River today. Enjoy the ship traffic and the weekend as well and be safe and warm this weekend. 3 and 2 Short to my boatnerd friends out there and Happy Thanksgiving Day to my Canadian friends and boatnerds as well this weekend.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Although I wasn't at the river (getting flower and vegetable gardens ready for winter), I've heard salutes from both Walter J McCarthy and PRT since noon and thought of you, Denny.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello to all boatnerds and Howard included. Hope all is well with all of you and a Happy Thanksgiving Day early to all Canadian boatnerds out there this weekend. Well as expected my home improvement upgrades and projects have started this week and are progressing slowly along. We hope to be finished with the big one we’re doing hopefully at about mid week next week. From there we’ll have to wait and see just when I’ll be getting back out to the river again. Was really hoping for rain this week while our projects were going on but unfortunately it didn’t quite work out! Watched my favorite the PRT lock through the Soo earlier today and wished I could be at the river tomorrow to see her along with Captain Bob but I know I’ll see them again hopefully at some point in the season so long as it is before the snow flies! If anyone happens to see the Queen tomorrow on the river and gets a salute from her along with Captain Bob, would you and can you please dedicate it to me as I would appreciate that one. Enjoy the weekend all and stay safe also!
How

Howard Sprague

Unread post by How »

Hello Denny my friend!

Glad to hear you made your 18th trip to the river yesterday! We were out yesterday as well to get the Algoma Mariner as we hadn't seen her yet this season. We also got the Clyde VanEnkevort, Edgar B. Speer, Algoma Innovator (first time we've seen her upbound) and stuck around in Port Huron for the Jackson and the Big PRT!

We were also out Wednesday and had a great day, having seen the Evans Spirit (we hadn't seen her in her black paint scheme), Le Champlain and Alpena among the nine vessels we photographed.

We couldn't get out to the river today as there is college football to watch, and tomorrow after church services we are going over to Miss Edwards's with the preacher and some of the church ladies to do some of the chores to help Miss Edwards out as she recovers from her broken leg. As I'm sure you can imagine, at 81 it's not as easy for her to recover as it would have been if she was younger. Next week we have a contractor coming to give us a price on a new HVAC system and we also have several appointments so unfortunately that will cut into our river trips.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I would like to make a correction to my post yesterday. In the post I had mentioned that in 2019 I’ve seen 26 Saltwater Vessels or Salties for the year and this number was ironically the same total that I had during the 2018 season. Anyway, that information is NOT true and the numbers I gave are incorrect. The correct information should’ve been and read that it was in 2017 and NOT in 2018 that I had 26 Salties that I saw and also photographed. So my numbers for total saltwater vessels or Salties will end passing the total that I saw in 2017 at some point later on this year. Also, I figure that I won’t be back at the river again now at the earliest maybe in two weeks if I’m lucky to get my home projects done by then!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello to Howard and all of my boatnerd friends. Well I ventured out to the St. Clair River today and what could be my last trip there at least for a little while anyway as next week my home improvement projects are set to begin. Anyway, it was a very slow day out along the river today as I only saw and caught four ships the whole day on the move. I could've had five but, I had to leave at supper time as the Herbert C. Jackson came down in St. Clair right about that time. Of the four that I did see though, two of then were ones I had not seen all year long and were huge on my hit list as well for the two I wanted to see. Luckily today I saw the Algoma Mariner and the Tim S. Dool both on the river inspite the fact that it was very cold, chilly and rainy as well. The other two I saw today were the Rt. Hon. Paul J. Martin downbound in the morning rain today and later this afternoon the Edgar B. Speer upbound. So I am now up to 18 trips for the year now on the St. Clair River and as I keep saying, I know at some point this year I'll get 20 or more trips so long as the snow isn't flying around here by then! I've also added a couple of more on my saltwater or salty total as well as we are now up to 26 for the season and ironically this is the same number and total that I had in the 2018 season as well so I'm sure to pass the 2018 season total if you will now for saltwater vessels or salties on the St. Clair River in 2019 that I have seen and also photographed. So, my friends this will be my last trip to the river for a while now until after my home improvement projects are done and finished in the next 10 or so days. After that, I should be able to resume my trips out along the St. Clair River again and by that point I surely will be looking forward to that again just so long as the weather by then hopefully starts to improve and warms up. Until my next trip to the river, take care everyone enjoy the boats and stay safe!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello again everyone. As promised a few more updates to add to this post. First, a comparison of saltwater vessels or salties and how it relates to me getting 20 or more trips to the St. Clair River in a season. Listed below you will find stats from 2001-2019 as far as how many salties I saw during those years and how many trips I made to the St. Clair River that same year. The point is, if you take and look at the list it appears that if I see 20 or more salties on the river then usually I will make at least 20 or more trips out to the river that same year. Check the list out below and see it for yourself and you'll know what I mean as far as the stats goes.

2001 I saw 38 salties and made 20 trips to the river
2004 I saw 32 salties and made 20 trips to the river
2006 I saw 24 salties and made 21 trips to the river
2007 I saw 29 salties and made 25 trips to the river
2010 I saw 22 salties and made 26 trips to the river
2012 I saw 21 salties and made 20 trips to the river
2013 I saw 30 salties and made 28 trips to the river
2017 I saw 26 salties and made 21 trips to the river
2019 I've seen 24 salties so far and I'm only three away from 20.

A few more interesting facts for you all. I've yet to see these two Canadian vessels upbound on the river the Radcliffe R. Latimer and the Rt. Hon. Paul J. Martin as it seems that everytime I see them they are always downbound for me and Never going upbound for me. Also, I've yet to see the Indiana Harbor in Port Huron at the Bluewater Bridge since they put the banners on the sides of her and also the Edwin H. Gott I haven't gotten any digital photos of her in either direction at Port Huron at the bridge as it seems that I always see her everywhere else but Port Huron at the Bridge and I also haven't seen the Walter J. McCarthy Jr. downbound at the bridge either since they've painted the blue part of her to white! Lots for me yet to see someday out along the St. Clair River but don't know if I'll see some of this stuff this year or not as I may have to wait until next year to see some of this stuff on my list.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

To Howard and all friends. Next week as expected the home projects will begin and start so this will definitely put the breaks on my river trips for about 10 or so days possibly up to two weeks at the most. The jobs all have to get done here and can’t wait and be put off. It’s just a bummer that it had to come in the Fall and Autumn season and also during the month of October as that has been my best month for boat watching on the river. Right now I’m still sitting on 17 trips to the river for the year and it’s driving me crazy because I was hoping by now to have 20 trips and runs to the river. As I keep saying though, at some point though I know that 20 will come this year as I guess I just got to be patient and wait it out. Folks you just don’t know and realize how badly I want this as far as 20 or more runs at the river this year! Last year was a struggle at the river for me thus this year I’m fighting and trying to climb to the top again but this year has also seen its challenges as well. I need this so badly because I want desperately something to build upon going into next season as in 2020, I will be shooting for my 500th all time river trip at that point. So hopefully you all can see how important at least the next two years at the river will be for me. I want to turn it around this year out there and keep the momentum going. More updates to come!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello Howard and to all of my boatnerd friends that have followed and read this post and my comments. First I wish to thank you all for reading my comments and also providing your own comments as well as they are greatly appreciated. On September 1 I made a post here that I was giving out my own sort of report card if you will of what fleets get passing and failing grades in my opinion at least as far as me seeing them or not seeing them on the river so far in 2019. I also provided a list as well of many of the ships so far at least that I have NOT yet seen so far on the St. Clair River for the 2019 season. As we have now entered into October and started up the month, I figured that now I would provide and update to the lists that I have just mentioned above. So first I would say as far as passing grades, definitely salties in September I saw many of them and three Fednavs with two of them being ones that I have never seen before. I would also say that the CSL fleet if you will was a big winner for me as I saw many of their ships on the river in September some of which were ones that I had not seen all year long. Now who gets the failing grades and don't pass the buck if you will on my list. Once again Algoma as I have six of their ships yet to see on my list. A few others that didn't make the cut if you will are ASC with both the American Mariner and Sam Laud yet to be seen and the Mariner I haven't seen her since 2015 on the river. The CSL fleet still has the Atlantic Huron to whom I haven't seen since 2015 and the Thunder Bay which believe it or not I haven't seen since 2013! The Alpena I have yet to see so far this year and I have seen her once in each of the last two seasons prior to this one. Lower Lakes Towing failed badly for me as I still have three of theirs yet to see the Kaministiqua, Robert S. Pierson along with the Tecumseh. The Van Enkevort fleet I still have the Joyce L and also the new Laura L yet to see. Finally as far as certain saltie fleets I say the Canfornav fleet with the green hulls I still haven't made any progress with seeing them along with the Wagenborgs and also the Polsteam fleet. So far in 2019, I've seen just one Polsteam and two Wagenborgs and No Canfornavs. Hopefully things will start to pick up here for me in October and November as time will tell. More updates will be coming this week. So stay tuned everyone!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Howard and Wow sounds like you did indeed have a great and super day on the river. Glad you got to see among some of the ships on your list the Algoma Spirit as I’ve yet to see her so far this year. I sure do envy you though my friend as two more you saw the Joyce along with the Laura L I haven’t seen either of them yet either this year so far at least anyway. With the rainy weather forecasted here for Wednesday and Thursday, I’ll try and update this post at that point with another list of the major U.S. and Canadian ships that I’ve yet to see so far for this year. One of which may surprise you and many others out there is the classic cement carrier the Alpena as I’ve yet to see her this year and so far I’ve been lucky and saw her once each of the past two seasons and I love and enjoy her classic steam whistle whenever she gives a salute as that is a classic and not too many more left like her! I’m hoping maybe to hit the river Friday of this week as it could be my last run up there for a while? My home improvement projects will be starting sometime this month but not sure when just yet? Will definitely be a busy month for the home improvement stuff and will be glad to get it all done and finished. Like I said before, now I’m just hoping and praying that we get and have a warm and mild November this year and not real cold and snowy as with Thanksgiving being real late this year I’m hoping to get in lots at the river in November to make up for the lost time in October. You take good care my friend and hope I get back to the river this week!
Howard Sprague

We were out on the river today and boy what a day it was!! It started off with the Joyce L. VanEnkevort bright and early, and we also got the Laura L. VanEnkevort which we've never seen before, the Algoma Spirit, Algoma Sault, Philip R. Clarke and Saginaw among others. This afternoon we raced to Marine City and got the ocean going tug Sea Crescent pulling a barge upbound for St. Clair. Those were some great photos.

We are doing our best to get our river trips in now as Mother closes on her new condo on November 1 and we are sure that we will have to make trips down to Florida with her things so that will take November out of the equation for us.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello once again to Howard and all my boatnerd friends out there as well. Just a short note and update to let you all know that I received an update from my brother today that our home improvement projects are scheduled to begin either the week of October 7 or 14. Right now I am hoping it’s the week of October 7. As for the week of October 14 though I’ve never ever made the river on October 14 close to what I consider the Paul R. Tregurtha’s homecoming date if you will of 1013 as I call it every year if I’m making sense with this? I’m hoping to have lots more updates for all of you later in the week as they’re forecasting rain and storms so I should have a day or two this week to give you all some updates on my river stuff. So with the home projects starting up next month as I mentioned before, this will have a significant impact on me going to the river for a while in October. Now keep in mind that I’ll still be able to make the river but just don’t know yet when? That’s why now I’m hoping for a warm and mild November at the river this year so I can make up lost time in October. So stay tuned for new updates this week!
Howard Sprague

It's great to hear that you had such a great day, Denny, and were so successful on Friday. It's very possible we were near you taking photos as we were out on Friday and had a great day.

We made a short trip to the river yesterday but had to get home so we could be ready to watch the UNC Tar Heels game. We've been a UNC fan for as long as we can remember since we grew up only a couple of hours from Raleigh, NC. Mother even graduated from UNC back in 1958! So I guess you could say being a Tar Heels fan is in our blood.

We're hoping to get out to the river tomorrow, too, if the weather holds, so we can see the Algoma Spirit since we haven't seen her yet this season on the river.

You take care, my friend, and good luck on your home repairs!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello to Howard and all of my friends. I was at the river on Friday and saw 9 boats and right now that's all I can say about the trip as I am still in major catchup mode from this crazy, busy and hectic week of appointments for me! Been working tirelessly all weekend long trying to get caught up on things before tomorrow's football games to watch on TV as I'm a huge NFL Football fan and enjoy watching the games. I don't know when I can provide more detail and updates as next week I will have a few things that I need to take care of and do but, hopefully things will start to slow down a bit and maybe I won't be so busy then? Next month in October will be a busy month not at the river but with lots of home projects to get done and needs to be done. I don't know how many river trips I'll be able to make or just when I can get there? Right now I am hoping for a warm and mild November and maybe I can get lots in then? Until then Happy Boatwatching everyone and keep reading!
Howard Sprague

Hello Denny and all of my friends,

A quick update for you all from our iPad as we sit at the River and wait for the Cuyahoga to come down. 
We were out yesterday and got some great shots of Alpena and Herbert C. Jackson,  as well as Damia Desgagnes which we had never seen before.

We got back late on Wednesday night from Florida. We had to fly in because Mother found a place near Aunt Nora and has decided to stay down there with her until the paperwork is done. Fortunately we took Mother's car down so she has a means of transportation.

On the way down, we stopped in Savannah, Georgia to see cousin Roger on Sunday and he took us to see a very large container ship that was coming into port. I didn't realize how small they make the big PRT look! We also stopped in Brunswick, Georgia to see the wreck of that auto carrier that tipped over early this month. It was quite a sight and we got some great photos that we will edit and post here for you all to enjoy later on. It sure was good to see Aunt Nora since we haven't seen her since the last family reunion in 2016. You take care Denny and we'll see you along the river soon!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let everyone know that follows this post and reads it along with my comments, another delay in updates is expected once again this week as I am anticipating another very busy and crazy schedule this week with lots going on as far as appointments. I will update as best as I can whenever I can get the time this week as every day this week at least from Monday through Friday I have appointments planned. So I may be able to do a river trip or two as we will just have to wait and see on that one. I will give everyone one piece of good news but I will need to do more of my own research on this stat for the river. If I end up by seeing 20 or more saltwater ships or Salties if you will on the river in a season and year, then usually I will end up with 20 or more trips out to the river that year! Again I will need time to research this and then I will post this with a new update later. So how many Salties then I have seen so far in 2019? As of last Friday I’m up to 21 which means that this year for certain I will end and have at least 20 or more trips to the river!