3 Long and 2 Short for Denny!

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
St Clair River Guest

Re: 3 Long and 2 Short for Denny!

Unread post by St Clair River Guest »

Wow Denny, I admire your courage and conviction to go through everything like this and you and your mom are definitely in my "thoughts and prayers for her speedy recovery!" Hopefully she will recover enough that perhaps you will be able to get a run or two to the river in during the "Fall Grain Rush!" That is the best time of year in my opinion as all the salties and classic lakers hustle to move as much cargo as possible. There are many legends around the Great Lakes and you surely are one of them, Denny, my friend. You take care and we will see you out on the river soon as you race to 500 trips!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks to both Howard and Guest in Toledo for your kind thoughts and words of wisdom and encouragement. I also wish to thank our dear friend Dawn a.k.a. Bookworm on another post for her nice words of encouragement as well and the photo that she had posted of the Paul R. Tregurtha as I appreciate that as well. You all will be happy to know that I got to spend my 28 birthday LOL today with my oldest brother as we had dinner and dessert out today. We did the best we could with my Mom being in the hospital as I surely wish under the circumstances it could have been a better way to celebrate but it is what is and as my late father once said and he was always good with sayings and stuff "You have to deal with the hand that is dealt to you and sometimes it may not always be the best but, you just deal with it somehow!" That is all I can do at this point with my Mom in the hospital. Sorry for missing any of my Port Reports and other news for boatnerd for all of you as right now my Mom is the number one priority above and beyond any other thing right now boat related. I know that my late father and all of my dear aunts, uncles, grandparents and neighbors are all looking down from heaven right now and are very proud of me I'm sure for how I've managed and kept strong so far through all of this with my Mom. You don't have to go there and tell me one and all as I know and my family has also said "Your time is yet to come and it will come and to just hang in there!" I even told my brother today "I am NOT giving up the Ship just yet as there is still a strong will and spirit within me for when I return to the river again and after all of this, I know that I will be better and stronger as a person and as someday A boatwatcher and boatnerd again." So be on the lookout for Denny in the next year or two as once I return to the river there will be no stopping me then. I still have to hang around and make history on my 500th river trip someday as that is something I can't wait for and I definitely want to show the world I can at least one time make an incredible 30 runs in a season up there as that has never been done yet! As for the PRT, you better believe I can't wait to see her again. I just hope that Captain Bob and all of the other laker captains out there are reading my stuff here on boatnerd and that someday they will give me plenty of salutes when the time comes with NO hesitation. I am sure there are a few skippers out there wondering "What happened to Denny lately!" Well, just remember in the Terminator movies and series folks, Arnold said "I'll be back!" You can bet, that Denny will be back on the river someday and when that day comes look out!
Guest in Toledo

Unread post by Guest in Toledo »

Very well written, Howard. And to Denny, the same best wishes for your birthday from the rest of us.
Howard Sprague

3 Long and 2 Short for Denny!

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Since it is his birthday I would like to take this opportunity to wish Denny a very happy birthday and say "3 Long and 2 Short to you my friend!" Your knowledge of and passion for the Great Lakes are unmatched and are an asset to this site. Here's hoping that your 46th year on earth brings you much success in the boatnerding world and that you get every ship you wish to see, including perhaps a salute from the big "Paul R. Tregurtha!" Cheers my friend!