Up-date on my son, Mike

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: Up-date on my son, Mike

Unread post by Denny »

Dawn, I've read your post today and saw your photo of the Sam or as I call him now "Slammin Sammy!" I'm so glad that you and Mike were able to get out today and to see some beautiful scenery and as well see the Sammy! I'm sure that brought both comfort, peace and joy to both of you. So glad to hear that you both got to spend some time together as those are the memories that you two will always remember even if Mike's physical condition is not well. At least the love that is still there between Mother and Son is a special bonding that can never be broken. Treasure those moments like today with Mike today, now and forever Dawn as from the heart so you are in your son as Mike will always be in yours. Today while at my Mom's funeral, I made certain to pray for both you and Mike that God may grant both you and Mike the peace, joy and comfort that you both truly deserve. Dawn do not be afraid to reach out to God and your local pastor and church along with your family, friends and here on boatnerd. Never be afraid to ask for help and for Mike as that is what your family and friends are there for. God Bless you Dawn and Mike!
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

garbear wrote:Dawn- So sorry to hear about your son. Brain cancer is a terrible disease. That's what took my Dad 34 yrs. ago. I pray for you and Mike.
garbear, I am sorry you had to watch your dad's life end that way, but, hopefully, the memories you have of him in better days are a great comfort.
Mike's diagnosis was stage 4 small cell lung cancer (which has spread to his liver, pancreas, lymph nodes, and formed tumors in his abdomen). While it could have possibly been slowed with the usual treatments, only a few (painful) months of life was in the prognosis and Mike chose to let Nature take its course.
Bookworm

Jared wrote:I'm so sorry Dawn. My uncle is dying of brain cancer and we went to see him today. He doesn't recognize me (his only nephew) or my father or his wife of 48 years. It's truly terrible what you and Denny have gone through and my prayers are with you. The pain of losing a child is something I cannot understand and I'm sorry life has thrown a wrench instead of a fig.
Oh Jared, I can only imagine how painful it is watching your uncle virtually become another person as his memories are wiped from his mind. Thanks for sharing with this forum. Many will add their prayers for comfort, strength and peace for you and your family.
Bookworm

This morning I baked oatmeal-raisin cookies to share with Mike and this afternoon I drove down to see him for the first time since he entered Tendercare.
It was after lunch, he'd had his mid-day meds and was sleeping, but an aide woke him after I stepped out of the room.
With such a gorgeous day in progress, I asked if he felt up to a brief outing, just to get some fresh air. He agreed, so I signed him out and off we went. I already knew Sam Laud was loading at Port Gypsum, so headed there for a close-up-and-personal encounter for Mike.
It may have been the med's effect or Mike may be in transition between this world and the next, but he kept nodding off in the middle of conversation or while interested in what was happening around him.
I took this photo of Sam and made a copy which I posted on Mike's message board.
Hopefully, he'll remember some of the adventure. I was glad for the opportunity to provide a "worthy diversion" ;) for him.
Attachments
Captured a bit of the loading process in this shot.
Captured a bit of the loading process in this shot.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Dawn- So sorry to hear about your son. Brain cancer is a terrible disease. That's what took my Dad 34 yrs. ago. I pray for you and Mike.
Bookworm

Denny wrote:So sorry to hear about the news Dawn. Tomorrow during my Mom's funeral and mass, I will definitely keep you and Mike in prayers and ask our Heavenly Father and his son our lord and savior to bless both you and Mike and grant you and him heavenly peace. I know this is not an easy time for you Dawn. Please tell Mike that God is watching him as he was with my Mom and he has a plan and a place for your son Mike a much better place someday to where he will never have to suffer with this type of sickness and illness again! You hang in there my dearest friend and be strong for Mike. Please give him a hug and a handshake from Denny! God be with you and Mike at this time.
Thank you, Denny. I read your mother's obituary and immediately saw that her name is/was the same as my middle name, and spelled the same unique way! But each person is unique in just being and living their life as it unfolds.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

So sorry to hear about the news Dawn. Tomorrow during my Mom's funeral and mass, I will definitely keep you and Mike in prayers and ask our Heavenly Father and his son our lord and savior to bless both you and Mike and grant you and him heavenly peace. I know this is not an easy time for you Dawn. Please tell Mike that God is watching him as he was with my Mom and he has a plan and a place for your son Mike a much better place someday to where he will never have to suffer with this type of sickness and illness again! You hang in there my dearest friend and be strong for Mike. Please give him a hug and a handshake from Denny! God be with you and Mike at this time.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

I'm so sorry Dawn. My uncle is dying of brain cancer and we went to see him today. He doesn't recognize me (his only nephew) or my father or his wife of 48 years. It's truly terrible what you and Denny have gone through and my prayers are with you. The pain of losing a child is something I cannot understand and I'm sorry life has thrown a wrench instead of a fig.
Bookworm

Up-date on my son, Mike

Yesterday, Hospice transferred Mike from home care to an assisted care facility 20 miles from me. He had been cruelly restricted (limited fluid & food intake and allowed to use the bathroom only twice a day) by a live-in caregiver, to the point of developing malnutrition and dehydration -- down to 88 pounds on his 5' 6" frame.
He had become depressed and overwhelmed with hopelessness but when the situation was brought to our attention, he was out of the house in two days, and into a facility where he is safe and the staff are very compassionate and caring.
That first day, as I drove him to the facility, he began nursing a bottle of Gatorade and at lunchtime, very cautiously drank a 4 oz. glass of flavored water and another of iced tea. Solid foods were 1/2-slice of buttered bread and a good-sized piece of chocolate cake. Within two hours he was slowly recovering. The sparkle returned to his eyes, he became animated, and engaged the staff and other residents in conversation.
While its unlikely he will survive another month, at least his last days will be lived in safety, being treated with dignity and respect as a person.
Thanks again for your continued prayers and thoughts. We couldn't have made it through this without them. Dawn