Whistles on the water

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Pete in Holland MI

Re: Whistles on the water

Unread post by Pete in Holland MI »

There were about a dozen vendors at the mart. I submitted a couple handfulls of pictures to the moderator of some of the whistles. Hope to see them posted soon.

It is a pretty cool event for both boat people, and whistle collectors. Not many places where the collectors can truly hear their prized whistles any more. Kinda like owning a fantastic historic car......with no roads to drive them on.

Pete

Unread post by Guest »

My guess would be there were a dozen vendors.

Unread post by Guest »

I remember in the early 80s a similar event was held at Marysville, and on at least one occasion at Marine City. I never when to the Marysville event, but I recall the Port Huron Museum at one time sold a cassette tape of the whistle blow as I believe it was called. While attending the Marine City event, I remember seeing one of the whistles have a problem as it was being blown when its sleeve (my definition) began to come loose and ride downwards before the operator stopped the blow. If memory serves me correct they may have been using compressed air to blow the whistles. Throughout the whole event only one ship went by (it was during the dark days of the early 1980s), which I believe was the tanker Eastern Shell, that ignored all attempts to elicit a response despite numerous salutes blown to acknowledge its passage.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Great day all around. Enjoyed the whistles, mart and passing boats. First Whistles on the Water for me but hope to attend again again. Would love to see the mart held in conjunction with the whistle blow in future. Thanks!

Mark
That is probably a good idea. How many sellers attended this show?

Unread post by Guest »

Great day all around. Enjoyed the whistles, mart and passing boats. First Whistles on the Water for me but hope to attend again again. Would love to see the mart held in conjunction with the whistle blow in future. Thanks!

Mark
RevAl

Unread post by RevAl »

Just to confirm...there will be a Nautical Mart at the Mall in St. Clair begnning at 9:00 AM Saturday. When your ears get tired, stop over!
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

It will be a fun day, but KYS will not have a table this year. I am up in Sault Ste. Marie with a family commitment. – Roger
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Yes there will be a Marine Mart also held in conjunction with the Whistles on the Water as well. I believe the hours for the Mart are from 10 AM until 4PM similiar to what they've had in the past when it's been held there. Not sure who some of the dealers there will be but I'm sure that Roger and the Know Your Ships crew will be there selling and signing copies of this years' KYS book. All in all it should be a fun and busy day with lots going on and plenty of people also.

Unread post by Guest »

Is there going to be a Marine Mart during this event? If so, does anyone know which sellers are attending?
ed

Unread post by ed »

My thanks to everyone for your help. this will be an event that I've tried to attend for many years but, my crazy schedule makes it almost impossible. thanks to all !
Pete in Holland MI

Unread post by Pete in Holland MI »

If you have time constraints, be advised that they don't blow whistles all day. They blow one set for about an hour, then it takes about an hour to tear down & set up the next set. Seems last year, there were 4 different groups of whistles sounded.
Judie

Unread post by Judie »

9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Last time I attended it was mid to late morning through early afternoon
ed

Whistles on the water

Unread post by ed »

Does anyone know the times on September 30th they will sound the whistles ? my schedule will not permit me to spend the entire day in Saint Clair.

Thanks in advance,
ed