1000 Islands Visit: Where to Start?

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
sloth

Re: 1000 Islands Visit: Where to Start?

Unread post by sloth »

Thanks for the responses so far - really appreciate it.

Steve - We are really open to either side of the border. Time of year - we were thinking maybe fall color time, unless things are closed up for the season. In that case we'd be in the "when is the best time to visit" mode.
Thanks again!
scottythree

Unread post by scottythree »

If the weather is nice pull into the rest stop on I81 right before the Thousand Island Bridge. You can then walk across. Great view!
Ohio Bob

Unread post by Ohio Bob »

Boldt Castle and Boat House is a "must see". I have not taken any of the cruises but I do hear they are quite nice. If you have your own boat, that is the best way to explore. Definitely hit the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton NY. We enjoyed our time cruising the river, and exploring both Clayton and Alexandria Bay. We stayed on Little Round Island in a VRBO house. Beautiful!!
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

It would help if you mentioned which side of the border you would like to be on (or both), and what time of year. Some cruise lines and castles are already shut down for the season.

Steve
sloth

1000 Islands Visit: Where to Start?

Unread post by sloth »

My wife and I are thinking a trip to the 1000 Islands area is in order. Have never been, and in our initial research we are a bit overwhelmed with the options. So many different cities - so much to do. What would you all suggest for a couple first-timers to the area? Where to stay. What to do. Anything that's a "can't miss" or "don't waste your time"? Best golf courses? Boat cruises? Castles? Thanks in advance for any insight.