Happy Birthday to You, Captain Ross!

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Diver Dan

Unread post by Diver Dan »

I saw a "belated birthday greeting" a short while back that caught me by surprise.

As you celebrate your birthday, please accept my best wishes on behalf of the great many maritime history buffs and "boatnerds" that have enjoyed your recollections of a lifetime of sailing, from your childhood and early naval training to your extensive and exciting world travels, and to your transition to sailing in and out of the Great Lakes.

It is difficult to find another engaging, literate source of maritime information that combines technical details with interesting personal experiences over such a scope of world-wide sailing. As you know, I've been collecting and editing your postings (along with some of the more interesting questions and comments that have been posted) into a document for archival purposes, and today I see that it currently reaches a healthy 157 pages. As the interesting portions of my life story would hardly fill a postcard, my hat is off to you for living such a challenging and exciting life, and I thank you for taking the time put it down in print for everyone to enjoy.

The recent stories of your student work and sail training are welcome updates; the latest posting on the various methods used for navigational calculations are of particular interest as I'm currently reading the Patrick O'Brien series of novels on sailing and naval warfare from 1790-1820, and the development of improved navigational methods is discussed over time in these books as the main figure, Captain Jack Aubrey, teaches the midshipmen how to determine their position in trying conditions.

Sorry to go on for so long, but I wanted you to know, on your birthday, that your contributions here are greatly appreciated. Your friends and online followers all wish you the best of health and great happiness, on your birthday AND for many years to come!